cover of Berlin "Take My Breathe..."

Started by yojosh, Jan 07, 2004, 07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yojosh

anyone got the "kentucky is for lovers" cd or even a link or mp3 of the guys cover of BERLIN's "Take My Breathe Away"?
i'd pay some serious cash for a copy of that cd if anyone wants to deal!

thebigbang

I'm not ready to sell my copy, but this is a great recording to discuss if you get into the Jacket.  I'd loan it out if I was certain it would come back, but these are hand numbered and supposedly limited to 500 copies, so not too easy to replace. Also, the disk is called "Louisville is for Lovers", and it's the 2001 edition. The 2002 edition has MMJ's Sweetheart.

What's neat about it if you haven't heard it, is that you can imagine that Jim was having a bunch of fun experimenting with the arrangements, and it was probably just Jim solo on this (It even states that it was recorded at the MMJ residence in St. Matthews on the insert. That's a Louisville suburb. There's a lot of rumble, indicating it was a poor man's recording as well).

While the music and mood are mostly faithful to the Berlin version (to my recollection), about half way through a lot of interesting stuff starts coming out of the left channel only.  Jim chases the dominant vocals by singing in a higher register on few phrases and a mournful guitar solo emerges, all very low in the left channel. There are some other odd sounds briefly jumping out of the left channel that I cannot describe or identify, but fun to hear anyway.  I can't play it too loud at the moment because my wife is sleeping in the next room, but when I get a chance to crank it up, maybe I can figure out just what he put in there.

It ends with storm and helicopter fade outs.  I  only vaguely recall the Berlin version since it's been an eternity since I heard it, but I think the Berlin version had the storm fadeout also. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I should also tell you that there are 10 songs on that CD, and MMJ's is number 10 and you'll likely want to skip the first nine, cause there's a lot of painful listening you'll have to endure to hear the Berlin cover if you don't head straight to the Jacket tune. The rest of the CD is a dog.

Unless it gets rereleased, maybe you can have a listening party with someone in your town who has a copy. I don't know of any legal ways to share it electronically.

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

Zmog1974

Hey i have a copy...it must be the only copy in England? Anyway as much as i do not like doing it. For the bands sake.
I would burn a copy in exchange for a copy of Dream a little dream from the Iceland to Kentucky compilation. Its the only track that i need to complete my collection. I would even swop a copy of Heartbreakin Man 7" Does gold hole for a copy of the original. I hope The guys would'nt mind the exchange. I would'nt wanna tread on their toes in anyway? Anyway the amount of Money ive spent travelling America,England and Holland to see MMJ in 2003.im sure theY would'nt mind....hell i might even e-mail the band myself. ;) Would any of the other forum readers agree that swapping tracks is ok.Like i say i would'nt wanna piss anyone off, believe me i would pay for the original..if only i could find one.

lfish

Well that's a hard-one.  Normally you can only swap live cd work, the band even encourages it. But what about recorded songs?  I dunno... I know it's a limited edition so many people want this song but can't find it anywhere, but on the other hand it's swapping at no charge. I suppose contacting Riny or the band will give you more clarity on this one.
lfish

yojosh

can i inquire about how yall got ahold of youre copies of "louisville is for lovers"? ive searched high and low!!

lfish

Well I ain't got if, that's for sure, but I would want to have a copy of this one, but I don't know how, yet.  I don't want to rip the guys off.
lfish

Oz

I'm ready when you are

plank10

First - for all of you who come to MP3.com to find music, you will see that we currently don't have any to offer.

they got bought and closed down for a site revamp

thebigbang

Quotecan i inquire about how yall got ahold of youre copies of "louisville is for lovers"? ive searched high and low!!

It helped to live in Louisville when it was released. I went to a local store and they had a stacks of these on the counter (I'd guess about 30 of them) and I bought ONLY ONE each year, at $10 a pop.  I am an idiot, as I knew that they would be rare.

Just like I bought ONLY ONE of the all the limited items, like the Gold Hole record, the At Dawn vinyl and CD with demos, etc.  Let me repeat, I am an idiot.

I did not manage to get hold of Isabella or the original vinyl edition of Tennessee Fire and doubt that I ever will. And so it goes . . .

Darla may release some of these songs on new collections, but I doubt it about the ones that were originally released on other labels (Bad Jazz, Gold Hole).

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

yojosh

so i went to louisville yesterday, and spent some time digging through a bunch of used record stores. couldnt find the "louisville is for lovers", but i did come across "The Mother Lodge: A Tribute To The Rudyard Kipling, Volume 1", also very cool!! the search continues!