Radio Airplay

Started by Elizanne33, Jun 08, 2004, 12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkre

Quotesome of these stations sound like life support for Bob Seger or something

That may well be one of the funniest lines I've ever read.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

peanut butter puddin surprise

:) thanks mate.  

[rant on] between seger, boston, skynryd, zz top, and queen (god bless em, but damn), i've just about had it with radio.  my cd player is far cooler than "la grange" for the 10 trillionth fucking time...I think there's some microscopic organisms in the Great Salt Lake that haven't heard it enough, but for all of us.....[rant off]

Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Drunkre

[Gimme that microphone]

Is this thing on?
Is this thing on?

Okay.  Look, I can almost excuse the top 40 and popular music stations for playing the limited drivel they play.  They're only responding to what seems to be popular at the moment a la MTV and your local mall's music store.  Albeit, teenagers are being fooled into thinking they want that new Korn, or puddle of mud, or [insert name here].  But still, those stations are simply responding to a percieved want.

Classic rock stations on the other hand have a plethora, a veritable ocean sized catalogue of music to choose from.  It's "classic rock" for christ's sakes.  That would seem to include all music recorded between 1963 and 1979, maybe even wider of a spectrum of time.  Yet, despite this obvious fact, these stations play the same 15-30 songs over and over and over and over and over and over.  You think you had been transported back in time to the classic rock era and were simply tuned into a top 40 station.  WTF?

Okay, here's your microphone back...there's some spit on it but you can just wipe that off.

Brad B.

I heard "golden" today on http://www.kgsr.com , pretty cool radio station, listen in at their web site.

Johnny Whatshisname

Entire CD is getting airplay on WXPN, University of PA., in Philadelphia. Great "public radio" station(NO COMMERCIALS). Listen online @ www.xpn.org

JacketNation

One of the most frustrating experiences of my life occurred when I agreed to attend a survey hosted by a "Classic Rock" station here in Louisville.  Nobody made me do it but I figured maybe I could make a dent in the playlist of whichever of our two Classic Rock stations was paying for the survey.  I rated all the Van Morrison and Roxy Music very high but all these other guys wanted was more Bad Company or more Uriah Heep.  I give up on Louisville radio other than FPK and the goofy high school station at 88.1.  I got XM radio for Father's Day but haven't installed it yet, maybe this is the answer.

Crazy_Horse

Re: 'Everybody's Talking' by Harry Nillson, I've always thought the intros are similarly brilliant but that's as far as it goes. 2 great great songs that should get a lot more radio play.

Drunkre

"I am the morning DJ at WOLD-D-D-D"

lyricjunkie

Mr. Whatshisname...
That's a fine link.  Thanks. :-*

PS...
Hi Drundre! or maybe I should say "Hi innervoicethingy"!!! ;)
Talk less....
Say more.

Johnny Whatshisname

I picked up a copy of "It Still Moves" after hearing quite a bit of it on WXPN 88.5 Philly and I absolutely dig it! But what's with the REEVVERRBB on every tune? Is this an added effect or the way it was mic'ed when it was recorded? I'd like to pick up another disc to hear some more MMJ, but I'd prefer to hear the band cleaner, without all the REEVVERRBB. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance. JW

Jim has always said that reverb is the 6th member of the band.  So, if you are looking for MMJ without reverb, you are not going to get very far.  Your best bet would be Acoustic Citsuoca, their most recent EP.  You must learn to love the reverbbbbbb!

lyricjunkie

come into the reverbbbb children... all are welcome...all are welcome! :D :D :D :D
Talk less....
Say more.

Johnny Whatshisname

Thanks for the info & advice. I shall begin work at once on my "reverb elimination machine". Look for it soon on Ebay. Thank you, goodnight, we love you all.... JW

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteThanks for the info & advice. I shall begin work at once on my "reverb elimination machine". Look for it soon on Ebay. Thank you, goodnight, we love you all.... JW

Not to discourage your entrepreneurial spirit but in this case it sounds like a losing proposition.... ::)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

otter

John, you said

"That's a whole other topic, IMHO-the decline of FM radio is pathetic.  It's a wasteland on the dial, no matter how you choose to slice it."

Yes by in large it is. But there are stations out there.

I just got through the programmer classes at our good one in Michigan. Imagine going into the station for three hours a week and playing what you want, no commercials. And the goal is to play the non commercial songs off of the discs of good artists that we don't get to hear on commercial crap stations.

I'll play a My Morning Jacket song on each of my shifts until I retire from the radio volunteer gig.

If anyone ever wants to hear one of my shows, tune in on your computer at 11:59pm EST Tuesdays, as I said you're guaranteed 1 MMJ song...I start next tuesday.

www.wyce.org

yo otter, that rawks!  gonna have a listen...

my comments were really about louisville in particular.  i know there's other stations out there with a modicum of quality about them...but here, all we have is either clear channel or public radio.  i just think we can do better.