At Dawn vs. It Still Moves

Started by Garth69, Sep 08, 2004, 08:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garth69

Been listening to At Dawn a lot lately, and I've gotta say I like the recording quality better than It Still Moves. It's got a dreamy quality that ISM lacks, to my ears. The drums sounds great, just really huge. Both are fine albums, of course, but I still think the pacing/sequencing of ISM doesn't flow as well as At Dawn. A few songs on ISM are overlong by a good couple minutes, and some of the horn parts are pretty standard (although the Easy Morning Rebel breakdown kicks ass). You just can't beat the Strangulation/instrumental closer of At Dawn.

MMJ_fanatic

I love It Still Moves but At Dawn is my first LOVE!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

One thing I love about ISM is the length of the songs.  I also really love when they extend the old songs when they play them live.  

1 At Dawn
2 It Still Moves
3 The TN Fire
There's Still Time.........

Garth69

I actually like long songs, but some on ISM (Mahgeetah and Dancefloors for starters) just linger on after making a strong 3-4 minute statement. They're still great songs but the outros don't really add anything to me, just one chord grooves basically, not much in the way of solos or interaction.
My first love would be the Tennessee Fire. The sound quality isn't that great but the songwriting is more consistent all the way through. And a GREAT finale with I Think I'm Going to Hell followed by the instrumental. That's what ISM is lacking; after Run Thru it's like a seperate EP or something. Run Thru just pounds and bangs away, and then all the air comes out with the slow tunes. Good stuff (especially Steam Engine), but not as cohesive as the other two.

peanut butter puddin surprise

this is kind of like comparing knob creek to maker's mark...both excellent, both with their own endearing qualities that make them what they are. :)

for you nonkentuckians, that's two different kinds of bourbon, both totally excellent.

critically speaking, it is a hard call as both are excellent in their own ways.  ISM is more muscular and rockin', more like the live show experience, whereas At Dawn is more introspective, spooky, and moody.  "strangulation", for example, combines both elements perfectly...rockin' and thinkin'.

I'd say "At Dawn" would be my pick if I were to pick one over the other as it seems more personal, but with tracks like "Steam Engine" that just rip your heart out, it's a close call.  not to mention "i will sing you songs" and "there's just one thing"...hmmmmmmm.

I agree that AD seems more cohesive, but I'd also argue that ISM has a punch that AD doesn't.

TF of course is an animal all its own.  I hear things every time I put it on that I didn't hear before, and since it was my introduction to recorded MMJ, it holds a dear place inside for me.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

dogandponyshow

They are both great in their own way.  You can go round and round and round.  THe best part is that we have access to both and that is all that matters....enjoy.

D.

Chills

That's like Led Zeppelin 1 vs. Led Zepellin 2.
Or Black Sabbath vs. Paranoid.
Or After the Goldrush vs. Everybody Knows This is Nowhere.
You'll get the point, i can't do it.

Can't stop smiling when Magheeta or The Way That He Sings starts, and can still get on an emotional rollercoaster when hearing Hopefully or Steam Engine.

I prefer one over the other from day to day... They both rock my soul ;D

Coltrane

the great thing about both albums,and great music in general, is that everytime i listen to them, i find something new to love....which is incredible considering the amount of times i listen to both records...it's always good to use headphones every now and again....something amazing comes thru that you never quite caught before...!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Coltrane

for instance....i just realized that "i needed it most" just might be the most beautiful thing these poor ears have ever heard..................!

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotefor instance....i just realized that "i needed it most" just might be the most beautiful thing these poor ears have ever heard..................!

Proof that it is hard to choose!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

thebigbang

While At Dawn vs. It Still Moves is a Battle Royale, The Tennessee Fire is the one I'm waiting for the Jacket boys to top.  I think they have it in 'em to.  

But I'll admit that it's silly to think every recording released has to top the predecessors in sales, reviews, fanboy ravings or what not.

Just entertain, move you, and make you want more. That's what MMJ recordings are all about. And we're so lucky that Jim and the gang seem to understand this so clearly.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

MMJ_fanatic

unfortunately, in the money driven business of music there has to be continual improvement on sales for the execs to keep the money train rolling.  but we already know that MMJ has it in them to keep topping themselves.  I mean other than a couple of silly fillers on the EPs everything they've done is great plus the associations they have fostered have allowed them exposure to larger audiences, so I think longevity is not going to be a problem for the guys
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

TheMollusk

this is the way i get it, at dawn forces you to look inward, though surrounded by a massive landscape that goes for miles and is self absorbed.Like sitting in a rocker on the edge of a cliff of the canyon. ISM can sit you in a dark dank barn full of echoes and mysterious figures that eventually force you outward into the dark forest where the bear roams, and sometimes hibernates, but when he is awoken, it is for all that forest to hear. even those still in the barn are affected by the awakening. Either way, both haved touched me a great deal in different ways, and i can only look forward to another album that touches my soul once again in ways only a simple man can dream of.

lasse

Patti Smith, Tramping

Is coming out up her in far far west of norway!!

A long way to rest, but never mind!!!! :)

TheMollusk

it helps if the messages you post make sense. just a thought, moron

TheMollusk

Coltrane

How can The Mollusk post something pretty cool about his feelings towards the music of MMJ, then turn around and shit all over it by being a complete ass? Does he just like to masturbate to his juvenile remarks??? I'm convinced now that Jesus abhors him. Vishnu dislikes him too.

Oh, and I refer to the Mollusk in third person because he told me not to talk to him.