Main Menu

PJ and MMJ

Started by sweatboard, Sep 20, 2004, 08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

My two favorite bands.

here is a link to an article where Jim mentions PJ.
http://www.plan9music.com/?node=module&id=9xonlinearticle&id2=170&id3=106

and a link to a discussion on MMJ over at the Pearl Jam site.

http://www.red-mosquito.de/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39530

;D
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

Who is it over here that is also on the PJ forum?  I know there is one of you, I just can't remember who.

Sal Paradise

What can I say, love em both! I think they have a similar dedicated following. MMJ's might nog be as big yet but that's really just a matter of time. Maybe they'll even grow bigger in time as MMJ's fanbase seems to be more diverse. Not that it matters much, as long as they keep makin beautiful music I'll be happy as a goose on a red carpet.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

dogandponyshow

Speaking of Pearl Jam, any know tha band Mother Love Bone.  That was basically Pearl Jam before Andrew Wood, the lead singet OD'd.  If you are A Pearl Jam fan, the best of album is solid and absolutley worth getting.  IF you remember the song...Stardog Champion...that is the band.

D.

MMJ_fanatic

hell yeah MLB is great!  they had a slightly different sound from PJ but you're right they were basically pre-PJ PJ.  sadly I lost interest in PJ some time ago...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

sweatboard

Quotehell yeah MLB is great!  they had a slightly different sound from PJ but you're right they were basically pre-PJ PJ.  sadly I lost interest in PJ some time ago...
Go buy the 2004 live show from Sate College PA. sit down and listen to it all the way through and you might regain some interest.  I think they are one of the best live bands on the planet.  As for motherlove bone, I like Crown of Thorns which PJ does live on occassion.  What I really like though is Temple of the Dog.  PJ played Hunger Strike and Reach Down recently with Chris Cornell which is the exact same line-up as the original Temple of the Dog, because PJ's current drummer is Matt Cameron formally of Soundgarden.  Chris couldn't really hit his high part but Eddie was right on with his part.  I think Pearl Jams last two albums have been average overall with a handfull of brilliant songs sprinkled in, some of thier middle period is very overlooked, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are incredible albums.  PJ's catalog is so huge that they can get away with putting out some average albums at this point because they are still going to have enough amazing songs to play for 3hrs + and blow you away.  Part of the reason thier albums aren't as strong anymore is because they all write songs.  Eddie and Stone used to do allmost all the writting, now they split it all up equally.  Which is great in some ways, it keeps the band vibrant for all the members etc., Eddie says that's what bands are for "to play each others songs", and some of PJ's most amazing songs have come from members other than Eddie or Stone.  On the other hand the most consistant song writting comes from Eddie and Stone and thier recent albums seem a little watered down at times.  Plus I like cohesive albums and it's hard to make a cohesive album with 5 or 6 (counting new keyboard player) songwritters.  Anyway, I really love the music, but just as much, I love The Band, I love what they stand for, I love the way they go about making music, I love the way they treat thier fans, I love thier integrity, I love the fact that I will be seeing them next Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D    

sweatboard

I also love Major leauge baseball.  Go Cards.  It's your year baby!  This October will be the greatest month of all time!

MMJ_fanatic

Go buy the 2004 live show from Sate College PA. sit down and listen to it all the way through and you might regain some interest.  I think they are one of the best live bands on the planet.  As for motherlove bone, I like Crown of Thorns which PJ does live on occassion.  What I really like though is Temple of the Dog.  PJ played Hunger Strike and Reach Down recently with Chris Cornell which is the exact same line-up as the original Temple of the Dog, because PJ's current drummer is Matt Cameron formally of Soundgarden.  Chris couldn't really hit his high part but Eddie was right on with his part.  I think Pearl Jams last two albums have been average overall with a handfull of brilliant songs sprinkled in, some of thier middle period is very overlooked, Vitalogy, No Code, and Yield are incredible albums.  PJ's catalog is so huge that they can get away with putting out some average albums at this point because they are still going to have enough amazing songs to play for 3hrs + and blow you away.  Part of the reason thier albums aren't as strong anymore is because they all write songs.  Eddie and Stone used to do allmost all the writting, now they split it all up equally.  Which is great in some ways, it keeps the band vibrant for all the members etc., Eddie says that's what bands are for "to play each others songs", and some of PJ's most amazing songs have come from members other than Eddie or Stone.  On the other hand the most consistant song writting comes from Eddie and Stone and thier recent albums seem a little watered down at times.  Plus I like cohesive albums and it's hard to make a cohesive album with 5 or 6 (counting new keyboard player) songwritters.  Anyway, I really love the music, but just as much, I love The Band, I love what they stand for, I love the way they go about making music, I love the way they treat thier fans, I love thier integrity, I love the fact that I will be seeing them next Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D    
ok Brian I get the message  ;)

sweatboard

I can't wait for wednesday, check out thier set list from last night, The entire last encore was with Neil Young!!!

setlist: Long Road, Corduroy, Hail Hail, Save You, The American in Me (The Avengers), Cropduster, I am Mine, Wishlist, Better Man, I Believe in Miracles, Even Flow, Bleed for Me (The Dead Kennedys), Alive
encore 1 (acoustic): Thumbing My Way, Elderly Woman, Black , Harvest Moon (Ed & Neil)
encore 2 (w/Neil Young): All Along the Watchtower, Act of Love, Cortez the Killer, Rockin' in the Free World

Coltrane

Sadly, I seemed to have lost interest in PJ recently as well. Which is a shame, because i was an AVID collector for a long time. Bootlegs, a ton of the released live shows, all the singles, the fan club......it makes me really sad because they were such a huge part of my life for so long. I wonder if "Lost Dogs" could help bring me back? any suggestions??
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

sweatboard

This is From the State College Review,

My Morning Jacket was a terrific opener and I feel bad for the latecomers who missed it. Blending elements of Pearl Jam (who, alas, was at another Vote for Change show that night) and Blind Melon, I was transported back to 1995.

Interesting, I never really thought the two bands were very much alike, except that they both "Kick Ass As Hell!"

As for getting back into PJ, Lost Dogs has some great songs on it, if you haven't heard Fatal, Hard to Imagine, Sad, Hold On, Education, All Night, I would definatly pick it up, some great songs that didn't make any of the albums.

Drunkre

re: That picture on the MMJ interview website.

Is that a Members Only jacket Jim is wearing?  What is he like the last member?

/obvious reference
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

sweatboard

It looks like the right cut and fit but Members Only Jackets aren't that shiny are they?  All I know is when I was 11 years old my whole family had matching ones, we'd wear them out to eat and shit.  I'll have to post a picture if I can find one.  They were all grey.

MMJ_fanatic

Quotere: That picture on the MMJ interview website.

Is that a Members Only jacket Jim is wearing?  What is he like the last member?

/obvious reference

I'm betting he would be just that tongue-in-cheek about his fashion  :D

sweatboard

So I'm going to see Pearl Jam in Asheville tomorrow and I think I'm going to take The "Acoustic Citsuoca" Vinyl with me so I can give it to Eddie.  He does a pre set, when the venue first opens and I will be close to the stage anyway so I might take it and toss it up to him.  I think he would appreciate and enjoy it.  I know he's given me a shitload of great music through the years and turned me on to some great things so the least I could do is give him an opportunity to behold the glory of MY MORNING JACKET!  Plus if he likes it mabey he'll ask them to tour with them, and I can knock out some of my concert ticket expensenses.

sweatboard

Also I have 2 extra tickets If anyone wants to meet me in Asheville tomorrow, we can Party like it's 1999.  I'm looking for face value, but if it's a MMJ fan I'll cut it in half.

e-mail me if you're interested, bmeccia@comcast.net

sweatboard