Complimenting MMJ

Started by sparky, Sep 30, 2004, 08:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparky

Hey y'all,
just thought this might be of interest to some of you.  We've also played w/ Chris Robinson & NEM and Smog, to give you an idea as to where we're coming from.  Check out www.goodluckcricket.com/hellsayers for sights and sounds.WAYNE ROBBINS AND THE HELLSAYERS TO APPEAR LIVE ON WPVM 103.5 ASHEVILLE OCT 7TH @ 3PM. check it out!

WAYNE ROBBINS -NEWS, under "Press" check out Editor Fred Mills review for Magnet under Staff Infections
wayne robbins and the hellsayers review in magnet magazine.

Wayne Robbins & The Hellsayers The Lonesome Sea (Goodluck Cricket): As anyone who's ever scribbled a review knows, an inherent joy of rock criticism is discovering one of those proverbial "under the radar" local bands. Such was my pleasure when I walked into a My Morning Jacket show earlier this year here in Asheville, N.C., and encountered local combo the Hellsayers. It was an apt pairing for a concert bill; the opening act's neopsychedelic take on alt-country whetted the listeners' appetite for the headliners, and I left feeling like I'd witnessed more than just a kernel of nascent rock genius in the Hellsayers. Now comes the group's debut album, and it surpasses my expectations. From singer/songwriter Wayne Robbins' passionate, keening upper register (Neil Young meets MMJ's Jim James) to the twin-guitar front line of Jonas Cole and Jeff Whitworth (the latter frequently adds lap steel to the mix) to the sturdy rhythm section of Brian Landrum (drums; also of Black Eyed Dog) and Joe Burkett (bass), the Hellsayers are a study in diversity. One minute there'll be a dreamy slice of cosmic cowboy folk-rock ("Time Is A Bird In Your Eyes," which recalls both Young's "Expecting To Fly" and portions of the Byrds' Notorious Byrd Brothers); the next, a hypnotic slice of Clean/Yo La Tengo-ish drone-pop ("Forgiveness"); the next, a bluesy psychedelic waltz straight outta Quicksilver Messenger Service territory ("Edith's Dream"); and the next, a wall of noisesome skree that'd make even fans of Sonic Youth or Giant Sand stop and turn their heads ("Jesus"). If that sounds like the group is nigh-on uncategorizable, you're right: This band taps into the myriad strands of Amerindie rock 'n' roll, no boundaries allowed.

and here's a link to the mag. and look who's on the cover!

www.magnetmagazine.com

sweatboard

Based on the fact that the review mentioned Sonic Youth, Yo La Tengo, and My Morning Jacket, I downladed the songs, very impressed, I got payed today so I'll see if I can pick up the album on the way home.
There's Still Time.........

sparky

Hey
thanks sweatboard.  Glad you like 'em.  We're working on distribution right now, so I'm afraid you're probably out of luck checking the store.  I hope thats not the case, but if so, you can get one from www.goodluckcricket.com or message me and I'll get one to you.  Thanks again and let me know.  Jonas

havibulin

I dig it. I'll be keeping my eye out for the album.

PrazAngel

I have the new one "The Lonesome Sea" and it kicks ASS. Really surreal and beautiful, great lyrics with some sweet jams to boot. They really do compliment the Jacket well.

p.s. I can send a compilation out that I got from another fan if anyone is interested in testing before before buying!! Just send me a message.  
 ;D

sparky

thanks, Prazangel.  That means a lot.  You'll really like the new stuff, I believe.  I appreciate you getting our stuff out there.  Pm me with any questions or if you want some live stuff by us.