Early Recordings thoughts?

Started by ChiefCrowe, Nov 20, 2004, 08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I think the band could have put out another really great album by just using songs from these two releases and rerecording them and mabey toying with the arrangement.

The Sandworm Gets The Two Toed Smack Down

1. Tonite I Want To Celebtate With You
2. I Just Wanted To Be Your Friend
3. I won't Cry
4. Isobella With The White Umbrella
5. That Someone Else Was You
6. Nothing 2 Me
7. Time Never Gets
8. Weeks Go By Like Days
9. What Will I Do
10. When Will They Come
11. Downtown
12. Good Nights and Happy Trails
13. Somebody Cares about The Maestro
14. Josta Dreams and Bitter Hands

I would have been blown away if this had been the new album! With rerecordings of course, and adding in Lil' Billy.
There's Still Time.........

samuel

EC

Oh, honey.  Aren't we all?

Oz

QuoteI think the band could have put out another really great album by just using songs from these two releases and rerecording them and mabey toying with the arrangement.

The Sandworm Gets The Two Toed Smack Down

1. Tonite I Want To Celebtate With You
2. I Just Wanted To Be Your Friend
3. I won't Cry
4. Isobella With The White Umbrella
5. That Someone Else Was You
6. Nothing 2 Me
7. Time Never Gets
8. Weeks Go By Like Days
9. What Will I Do
10. When Will They Come
11. Downtown
12. Good Nights and Happy Trails
13. Somebody Cares about The Maestro
14. Josta Dreams and Bitter Hands

I would have been blown away if this had been the new album! With rerecordings of course, and adding in Lil' Billy.

Yeah, that'd be a fascinating album. However, I also really like some of the lo-fi sounds of these songs. They really shouldn't rerecord 'Downtown' or 'I Just Wanted To Be Your Friend', those songs are perfect as they are! But maybe I'm just a lo-fi nerd. :)

If I'd be a real shitty fan, I might say that I would like an album with these songs better than I like It still moves. Hmmm.....  :-/
I'm ready when you are

samuel

So from the linear notes of disc one I'm taking it that a couple of the tracks were originally recorded in Jim's dorm room in college. Can anyone validate this? The notion is blowing my mind. Imagine if you lived down the hall.

samuel

O, can you explain your qualms with It Still Moves? I mean, I know it's on a major label and all of that, but it's still so solid.

sweatboard

The main two I would like to have worked on and rereleased are Nothing 2 Me and What Would I Do.

Nothing 2 Me- I just don't like the recording, I like what the drums are doing but I would like to hear Jims vocals on top of them instead of burried under them. The harmonica is HOT!  Does Jim play?

What Would I Do- This might be my favorite song on both discs if it was rerecorded and they tweeked the arrangement to make it more of a complete song than a good idea.  Has anyone deciphered what is being said at the end of this song?

Lyrics seem to be

Oh what will I do
When nothing happens to me
All of my life
Is running around like machinery
tugging and pulling my coat
tuggin and pullin
Come on get up
get up and get ready to go
get up
get up

sweatboard

I'm willing to guess it's not so much that O has qualms about It Still Moves as it's the fact that if they did release all these songs on one album it would have a very TN Fire feel, and if I recall correctly this is his favorite MMJ album.  Which would also explain his lo fi prefrence.  I also happen to think the lo-fi quality has always been a large part of the charm of the band.  At Dawn is the best produced and recorded album I have ever heard....ever! However, I would not trade It Still Moves for another At Dawn.  I'm really excited about how the band will go about recording and producing the next album. I really think Jim gets into this side of making a record.

Oz

I just miss that sound of Jim making little weird songs in his bedroom on It still moves. I also like the "southern rock"-sound, aside from that, but I think it'd be a shame if they dropped the tiny melancholic songs from their records... In other words, Sweatboard was right. :)

Now, I can agree with your opinion on those two songs, Sweatboard. I talked about this with Mister Tree, a guy I met on this forum but who doesn't visit it that much anymore, how we both like Sparklehorse, not just for his songs, but also for the sound of his records. How he uses a combination of lo-fi and hi-fi recording sessions, sometimes even in one song. I consider that to be perhaps the most ideal way of how a record should sound.

I don't know, I guess I just love to hear Jim goof around and experiment. :)
I'm ready when you are

Oz

Has anyone noticed how 'I won't cry', wich I really like, sounds a lot like 'Heartbreakin'Man'?

"She ain't gonna love me 'till I'm gone" --> "Twenty times I wish you'd understand"

Could 'I won't cry' be the blueprint for 'Heartbreakin'Man'?
I'm ready when you are

ben grimm

This sucks I wanna buy the discs so bad but I'm under strict orders from mrs grim not to buy myself anything until after xmas.

marktwain

QuoteThis sucks I wanna buy the discs so bad but I'm under strict orders from mrs grim not to buy myself anything until after xmas.

I'm here to commiserate with you, ben.  The new baby = hospital bills, increased food bills, child care, etc.  No money left over for music.  I've been easing the pain by making mixes from my older cd's, though I'm left hungry for new music.  

I'm hoping Christmas will bring a bonanza!

PrazAngel

I am SO digging Tyrone!  ;D
I think I like the orange disk better than the black/gray one...so that would be Learning over Sandworm??

samuel

O, I'm thinking you might be on to something with the I Won't Cry/Heartbreakin' Man idea. A blueprint makes sense. I'm digging it.

sweatboard

Weeks Go Bye Like Days and Tonight I Wanna Celebrate with You need to make it into the live rotation.  Ok, here is the question; if you could pick 5 songs off both albums to make it into the live rotation for the next tour what would they be.

1. Tyrone (So HOT!!!!!!!!!!)
2. Tonight I Wanna Celebrate With You (Should Open Shows)
3. Weeks Go By like Days
4. I Just Wanted To Be YO Friend
5. Isobella With The White Umbrella

CC

peanut butter puddin surprise

QuoteThe group was an unknown band from Kentucky when these songs were recorded and now they are perhaps one of the most promising groups in the music industry

My friends, this is amazing.  Feel the love!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

I got The Sandworm Cometh.

Love.

corey

I don't have either of them yet. :(   :(
I hate the Christmas season. I never get to buy anything that I want. I used to love buying gifts for other people, but I kind of despise it now because there are so many things that I want and I haven't bought hardly anything for myself in so long.
I;ll stop bitching now. I don't have any thoughts on the early recordings. I don't know why I even opened this thread. It's just making me sad. :(

EC

Oh no, 'wiggum.  :) <-- That is for you.