Song interpretations

Started by olwiggum, Feb 05, 2005, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

So what are your thoughts on the song meanings?

Riny, any chance that you could get Jim to do a song by song breakdown* about what some of the songs mean? Some of them are pretty obvious, but there are several that I'm curious about...

*at least for the last few albums...

CC

I don't know, personally I believe some mystery is good. A lot of songs are open to different interpretations and knowing the exact meaning of every sentence could ruin the magic in some cases. I don't know the meaning of a lot of songs but just give it whatever meaning feels right to me. sometimes the lyrics mean nothing at all to me and it's just the music that grabs me.

interpretations don't do a thing for me, i'm happy now, that's how I be.

tell me i'm wrong, tell me i'm right.

utonynashm

Don't worry Baxter there is no one else in the world... :D

I would love to see what Jim would say about the tunes...

But the mystery aspect of the music is just as good too...

corey

Quotesometimes the lyrics mean nothing at all to me and it's just the music that grabs me.

I'm with you on that one. I also agree that it's nice to have some mystery to them, but I'm still curious as to what he had in mind when he wrote them.
Adam Duritz from Counting Crows used to write blurbs about their songs and the Truckers do it too. I find the stories to be pretty interesting sometimes.

EC

I'm with you on that one. I also agree that it's nice to have some mystery to them, but I'm still curious as to what he had in mind when he wrote them.
Adam Duritz from Counting Crows used to write blurbs about their songs and the Truckers do it too. I find the stories to be pretty interesting sometimes.

I remember a friend had a Beatles songbook that supposedly had all the meanings behind the songs.  That's where I learned about Hey Jude...

I like a little mystery as well...  But I'd also like to know what Xmas Curtain is about.  :)  

Oz

Sometimes it's horrible to hear what a song is actually about. Then it's like 'damn, it meant so much to me, and now it appears it says that all gay men should be killed!' Or something.
I'm ready when you are

EC

QuoteSometimes it's horrible to hear what a song is actually about. Then it's like 'damn, it meant so much to me, and now it appears it says that all gay men should be killed!' Or something.

HA HA HA!!!

Holy shit.  ha ha.  :)

MMJ_fanatic

hoo boy!  O woke up on the twilight zone side of the bed ;).  Personally I like making up my own interpretation and I think that is what most artists want you to do--find a common voice/experience with them, kinda like therapy or somethin'...
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

SmoothOprtr

I have little interest in knowing what the songs are about... certain songs mean things to me that have nothing to do with the lyrics, rather how the song is played and the WAY it's sung connects me with past event, emotion, or the moment itself.  When I start thinking about what the songs are meant to be about by the writer, I feel I lose something.
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Oz

QuoteI have little interest in knowing what the songs are about... certain songs mean things to me that have nothing to do with the lyrics, rather how the song is played and the WAY it's sung connects me with past event, emotion, or the moment itself.  When I start thinking about what the songs are meant to be about by the writer, I feel I lose something.

Personally, I think words can be quite imported and the best songs are those with lyrics and music that make up a meaning combined, when it's not possible to pull them apart.
I'm ready when you are