What songs make you choke up or get teary-eyed?

Started by eiseyrokker, Feb 06, 2005, 02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wordawg

You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory - Johnny Thunders
the future is Ginger

SMc55

QuoteYou Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory - Johnny Thunders

I remember listening to that at Leeds. In the rain. Magic.

marktwain

When my wife was pregnant, we were in the car on our way home from seeing "In America" at the theater - an amazing movie, and very heartwrenching for a young couple with a young 'un on the way.  We had cried all the way through it, and couldn't talk much on the way home.  Then the Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" came on the stereo.  That line, "do you realize... that everyone you know someday will die?"  was like someone had stolen our breath, and the tears started rolling again, for both of us.  It's hard enough to accept one's own mortality, much less that of your lover and of your child.

EC

QuoteI remember listening to that at Leeds. In the rain. Magic.

and

QuoteWhen my wife was pregnant, we were in the car on our way home from seeing "In America" at the theater - an amazing movie, and very heartwrenching for a young couple with a young 'un on the way.  We had cried all the way through it, and couldn't talk much on the way home.  Then the Flaming Lips' "Do You Realize?" came on the stereo.  That line, "do you realize... that everyone you know someday will die?"  was like someone had stolen our breath, and the tears started rolling again, for both of us.  It's hard enough to accept one's own mortality, much less that of your lover and of your child.

Beautiful.  I mean sad, but so beautiful.  And thank you for sharing.  I'm a little misty...

The Boar

I know exactly what you mean, tundra. That song comes to my mind every time I think of my dead grandparents, God love 'em.

Is it just me or does nearly every Flaming Lips song (especially from The Soft Bulletin) seem like one of those perfectly beautiful/melancholic works of art that makes you choke up? I don't know, "Race for the Prize" always gets me too.

marktwain

QuoteIs it just me or does nearly every Flaming Lips song (especially from The Soft Bulletin) seem like one of those perfectly beautiful/melancholic works of art that makes you choke up? I don't know, "Race for the Prize" always gets me too.

Yep.  And what about Iron & Wine's cover of "Waitin' for a Superman"?

EC

Last night I listened to a live version of By My Car from the Toronto '03 Soundscapes set.  (They played forEVER during the day, and THEN played Lee's at night.)  And it made me misty, and it's playing right now, and man.  man.

dogface

-death is the easy way always makes me teary eyed, the lyrics are so good: 'alcohol, it only makes me tired'

-M. Ward's 'undertaker'

-Sparklehorse: 'sunshine' and 'aplle bed'

-elliot smith: 'a fond farewell'

-eels: 'elizabeth on the bathroom floor', '3speed', 'daisies of the galaxy'

and a lot of others...

wordawg

Long Distance Love - Little Feat (has to be Lowell George singing it though)
the future is Ginger

MMJ_fanatic

"Pacing the cage"  and "Live on my mind" by Bruce Cockburn
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.