make your set list

Started by sweatboard, Feb 26, 2005, 10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

The wife is out of town tonight, so I spent my evening with a six pack and the 2001-9-8 planetarium show.  So HOT!!!  I've listened to alot of live MMJ and I have to say this is the best show I've ever heard, including the ones I've been to.  Highlights- "Wannna Get High" - Towlie, The Improv cover right before "The Bear", "It's About Twilight Now" damn near made my head explode.  Best set list of ALL TIME.

Anyway, I wanna hear your ultimate set list.  We need some paramaters so this doesn't get out of control.  18 songs. 12 in the main, 4 in the first, and 2 in the 3rd.

1. At Dawn
2. Mahgeeta
3. O is the one that is real
4. Masterplan
5. It's about twilight now
6. One Big Holliday
7. Honest Man
8. War Begun
9. I needed it most
10. Steam Engine
11. Phone Went West
12. Rocket Man
encore
13. Golden
14. Sooner
15. Hopefully
16. Come Closer

encore
17. I will be there when you die
18. One in the same
There's Still Time.........

EC

I'm trying, I'm trying.  I know you're there, and I'm trying.  But the truth is that I really like your set list, sweatboard.  It's quite good, and considering that you've heard a LOT of the live shows, you've probably scientifically created the perfect set list - for the songs that we know about.  Perhaps you should ask them to hire you as the "set list" maker?  ;)

Okay, the real truth is that I couldn't really give a big fuck what they played, because you know it's going to be good and terrific like it always is.

I could listen to My Morning Jacket play a whole set of New Kids on the Block covers and I would probably love it.  (Not because I'm blind and spoonfed [I hope, at this point, I'm too into it to know for sure], but because you know that they could make NKOTB songs sound good.  They'd figure it out.)

Okay, one change.  I would change Rocket Man with Come Closer.  

MMJ_fanatic

Pina Colada Nut:  add Run Thru! and I'm on board.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

I like it as well; although no "Cobra."  I guess if you add Cobra they will be playing for 4 hours--which would never be a bad thing!

MMJ_fanatic

hell why not start the outdoor show at midnight, run throught the whole catalogue climaxing with an extended version of "At Dawn" as the sun peeks of the horizon 8)

Quotehell why not start the outdoor show at midnight, run throught the whole catalogue climaxing with an extended version of "At Dawn" as the sun peeks of the horizon 8)

Now this I like.  Don't forget to bring your slippers and I guess I will have to pace my drinking a little better than usual.

MMJ_fanatic

you just know it would have that total retro/Aquarian/Woodstock/free love feel

tomEisenbraun

ooohhhh, i just got another spine-tingler. Imagine if they hooked MMJ up with two sets at Bonnaroo, one being a short one set at dawn. The crowd would start gathering as the sky was gasining color and right as the sun got closer and closer to the horizon, the drumming would start. Jim begins strumming and right as the days first rays break the horizon he dusts off his morning voice singing "at daaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnn they riiiide again..." and the easily the second greatest My Morning Jacket show ever is born.

I wouldn't care if they played more than just At Dawn, but that would be the greatest musical experience ever.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Quoteooohhhh, i just got another spine-tingler. Imagine if they hooked MMJ up with two sets at Bonnaroo, one being a short one set at dawn. The crowd would start gathering as the sky was gasining color and right as the sun got closer and closer to the horizon, the drumming would start. Jim begins strumming and right as the days first rays break the horizon he dusts off his morning voice singing "at daaaaaaaawwwwwwwnnnnn they riiiide again..." and the easily the second greatest My Morning Jacket show ever is born.

I wouldn't care if they played more than just At Dawn, but that would be the greatest musical experience ever.

Holy shit.

MMJ_fanatic

I think they should play 2 sets at the 'Roo anyway

tomEisenbraun

Holy shit.

exactly
 ;D

JacketGal

Holy shit.

I second that sentiment! oooh boy, got chills just thinkin' of it.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

havibulin

here's my ideal set....for at least today.

1. Strangulation
2. the way that he sings
3. Masterplan
4. Golden
5. The Bear
6. One Big Holiday
7. Honest Man
8. Cobra
9. I needed it most
10. Phone Went West
11. Steam Engine
12. Cobra

encore (acoustic)
13. Bermuda Highway
14. By My Car
15. Hopefully  
16. I will be there when you die

encore
17. At Dawn
18. Run Thru

havibulin

oops 8 should be 'O is the one that is real'.

TheTwilightzzz

Hey if that planetarium show is so badass, why don't you hook a brother up witha b&p?

anyways, here's my setlist:

1. Heartbreakin Man
 2. Dancefloors
 3. Easy Morning Rebel
 4. By My Car
 5. Sooner
 6. How Could I Know
 7. One Big Holiday
 8. Cobra
 9. Evelyn Is Not Real
10. Mahgeeta
11. If It Smashes Down
12. Run Thru

(encore #1)
 1. I Will Be There When U Die
 2. Strangulation
 3. Honest Man
 4. One In The Same

(encore #2)
 1. Steam Engine
 2. Phone Went West

SmoothOprtr

1. One Big Holiday
2. Dancefloors
3. They Ran
4. Come Closer
5. Mahgeetah
6.  O is the One that is Real
7. Masterplan
8. Phone Went West
9. Nashville to Kentucky
10. Golden
11. X-mas Curtain
12. The Bear

1. West End Girls
2. Hopefully
3. New Morning
4. Isobella With the White Umbrella

1. Run Thru
2. Steam Engine
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

Chills

Allright...

at dawn
one big holiday
lowdown
weeks go by like days
the way that he sings
magheeta
o is the one
war begun
strangulation
the bear
black sabbath (played in total darkness!  ;D)

bermuda highway
i will be there when you die
i needed it most
By My Car

steam engine
phone went west
I Think I'm Going To Hell

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteAllright...

black sabbath (played in total darkness!  ;D)

PERFECT!

tomEisenbraun

okay, my set list is going to be all covers

1. Rocket Man (just Jim on his acoustic)
2. 2001 - A Space Oddity (David Bowie - the band slowly joins Jim on the stage)
3. Slow Nerve Action (Flaming Lips song with some wicked-huge drums - segue into...)
4. When the Levee Breaks (Bo learns to play harmonica and ditches the keyboards)
5. Space Truckin (Deep Purple end with a keyboard solo to segue into...)
6. Foreplay/Long Time (Boston)
7. Waitin for the Bus (ZZ Top)
8. Stranglehold (Ted Nugent)
9.. Train, Train (Blackfoot - if you haven't heard this song, you need too. I think Jim would rip it up)
10. One Way Out (Allman Brothers)
11. Do You Feel Like We Do? (nothin like a fourteen minute long Peter Frampton cover)
12. Have a Drink on Me (AC/DC and a free open bar until the encore)

Encore One (sort of acoustic)
13. Ooh La La (Rod Stewart "I wish that i knew hwat i know now, when i was younger...")
14. Patience (G'n'R)
15. Jane Says (Jane's Addiction - bust out the steel drums ;D )
16. Bron Yr Aur Stomp (from Zep III)

Encore Two (the ulitmate classic rock closer)
17. Stairway to Heaven
18. Free Bird

yummy

primushead

Quote Highlights- "Wannna Get High" - Towlie, The Improv cover right before "The Bear", "It's About Twilight Now" damn near made my head explode.  Best set list of ALL TIME.

What's the Wanna get high thing?  Of course I know it off of south park, but how did they incorporate it into the show?