MMJ Live track on Rarities Tsunami CD

Started by LaurieBlue, Jan 27, 2005, 03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.billboard.com/bb/daily/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000779154

Wilco, Franz Donate Rarities For Tsunami CD

Wilco, Franz Ferdinand, Hot Hot Heat and Interpol are among the artists that have contributed rare or previously unreleased tracks to a double-disc compilation that will raise funds for Asian tsunami relief. Beginning Feb. 28, the 26-track album will be available exclusively at Urban Outfitter retail outlets and on the company's Web site.

The UNICEF Tsunami Relief Fund will receive 100% of the proceeds from sales of the disc, which was assembled with assistance from Filter magazine.

Among the notable inclusions here are Interpol's "Slow Hands" remixed by Spoon's Britt Daniel, Franz Ferdinand's "Matinee" remixed by Headman and previously unreleased tracks from Hot Hot Heat ("Apt. 101"), Rilo Kiley ("American Wife"), Clinic ("Fingers") and Earlimart ("Lullaby").

Live tracks have been turned in by Wilco ("Jesus, Etc."), My Morning Jacket ("The Bear"), the Futureheads ("Piece of Crap") and French Kicks ("The Trial of the Century"), while the Queens Of The Stone Age track "Hangin' Tree" is presented in an early version recorded as part of the Desert Sessions series.

In related news, Death Cab For Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard will join with Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painter leader Mark Kozelek, Jonathan Richman and Crooked Fingers' Eric Bachmann tomorrow (Jan. 28) for a tsunami relief benefit at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall.

Here is the track list for the Urban Outfitters CD:

Disc one:
"Love Song," Death Cab For Cutie
"Slow Hands" (Britt Daniel mix), Interpol
"We Are Nowhere and It's Now," Bright Eyes
"Hangin' Tree," Desert Sessions 7/8
"Jesus, Etc." (live), Wilco
"Apt. 101," Hot Hot Heat
"The Trial of the Century" (live), French Kicks
"Piece of Crap" (live), Futureheads
"The Bear" (live), My Morning Jacket
"Heaviest Heart," Magnet
"American Wife," Rilo Kiley
"Fugitive Motel" (RDJ2 mix), Elbow
"Fingers," Clinic
"In a Funny Way," Mercury Rev

Disc two:
"Matinee" (Headman remix), Franz Ferdinand
"Huddle Formation" (radio session), the Go! Team
"Nacher Anthem," Grandaddy
"Take My Temperature," Kaiser Chiefs
"Lullaby," Earlimart
"I Disappear," the Faint
"Barnowl," Caribou
"Lost at Sea" (remix), Eisley
"Everyday," Dios
"Isabel," Juana Molina
"The Song the Sinner Sings," Adam Arcuragi
"A Guitar and a Heart," M83

Complainer

Does it seem a bit strange to anyone that "The Bear" is the chosen track for this album? "Bad idea to go down to the pier..." seems like an odd lyric to begin a song on a tsunami-relief album, in my opinion. Same with the song called "Lost at Sea" by Eisley. I could be getting overly dramatic in my admittedly tipsy state right now, but those examples jumped out at me as being a tad inappropriate.

sweatboard

lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a BAD idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I like it because this was the first song to grap me in a vice!  Tsunami aside, mabey it will do the same for some other folks.  
There's Still Time.........

EC

Slow Hands...

Actually, in a way I'm glad.  Things like that can get so ridiculous, it's like when they edit Wes Anderson movies for airplanes because certain content might upset people on the plane.  People aren't retarded.  They're not going to freak out because they hear a song called "Lost at Sea" on a Tsunami relief record that they bought at some big chain clothing store.  And if they do, they deserve it.

(oooooooh, haaaarsh this morning.  Gentle EC, where are you?)

CC

it was delayed a few days but it's really out now.

available at urban outfitters:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/

pick it up!

LaurieBlue

http://www.detnews.com/2005/cdreviews/0503/15/01-118051.htm

More tsunami relief music is on its way

By Glenn Gamboa / Newsday

The next round of fund-raising projects for victims of the December tsunami is starting to arrive, with a bit more polish and planning than the hastily thrown together (though totally necessary) early ones. One of the best is "Good Music for Tsunami Relief," a 27-track double CD from Urban Outfitters stores and Filter Magazine that will please indie-rock collectors with its live tracks and rarities, while serving as a great introduction to the cream of the current indie crop for those who don't hang out on rock's cutting edge.

Live tracks from Wilco ("Jesus, etc."), French Kicks ("The Trial of the Century") and My Morning Jacket ("The Bear") are standouts, as are remixes from Interpol ("Slow Hands," given new energy by Britt Daniel's remix), Franz Ferdinand (the grooving Headman remix of "The Dark of the Matinee") and Elbow (a dreamy RJD2 remix of "Fugitive Motel"). And there are great album tracks from Bright Eyes and The Faint, alongside cool unreleased nuggets from Rilo Kiley, Dios Malos and Hot Hot Heat.

The biggest surprise, though, is Death Cab for Cutie's organ-driven cover of The Cure's "Love Song," in which singer Ben Gibbard taps into his inner Robert Smith. "Good Music" and a great cause? It doesn't get much better than that.

Distributed by the Los Angeles Times-Washington Post News Service