New Album - New Sound?

Started by salparadise, Jun 01, 2005, 06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal Paradise

I was just reading this interview and am amazed this hasn't been discussed yet.Maybe I missed it.
http://www.uwmpost.com/products_detail.asp?id=1623&tableID=products

Has your sound changed much since the last album?
...I think it's changed drastically and I'm really excited about it because I think it sounds like nothing we've ever done before.

So Jim's saying it's changed drastically. I wonder in what way because even tough every album up to now has it's own feel and beauty, none of them were changed drastically. Are they going electronic? Is Two Tone taking over the singing? Have they gone Metal? Anyone knows anything?
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

EC

That's weird.  I remember reading that article but not thinking about the drastic change bit.  But, you know, ISM was fairly drastic from At Dawn.  

Oooohhhh this waiting is getting harder and harder.  

kymoose

Maybee there is less reverb.....and maybee Carl sings some.  Those are two easy things that pop out as "maybees" for the new album.

One thing is definitely clear--both Carl and Bo appear to be able to add more dimension and depth to the overall MMJ sound.

Should be cool.

chunt983

I'm hoping the new album features a few songs w/ just jim and his acoustic...

utonynashm

havibulin

QuoteLayers!

Definitely. Some sonic soundscapes would be cool.

neal

im thinking some electronic beats. some more songs like "it beats 4 you" maybe.

sweatboard

Quoteim thinking some electronic beats. some more songs like "it beats 4 you" maybe.

Please No!!!!!!!!
There's Still Time.........

EC

I can deal with electronic beats but ONLY if they're used to extra rockify the super drumming human machine.  Or else if they're very cool.  ;)

utonynashm

What Megan said^^^

I sometimes think...If not done creativly and tastefully, electronic beats and effects show lazyness...That's why I don't dig any techno or electronic dance music and shit...It seems so emotionless...no soul...you know?

But I like it when some elements of electronics are used to layer and create vibes in real songs...

It is harder to sit and write and craft a soild song on an instrument...anyone could push buttons and make things sound cool...

sorry lil' rant there...

tomEisenbraun

That said, I think Cobra is an excellent example of a well-crafted electronic song, though it might border on the edge of over-indulgence.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Billo

The greatest drummer is already driving. No substitute, no electronica

Sal Paradise

So, now we know the new album is going to be called Z.
I like it.
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

TheMadHatter

That new song "Off the Record"and the other new ones i,ve heard live sound pretty different.For one,it begins with a 70,s detective show theme.
The Mad Hatter,he waits for Alice to come to tea again.