Phone Went West

Started by marktwain, Sep 29, 2005, 05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

Glad it's off the setlist or sad?

me --> :'(

I'd trade One Big Holiday to get Phone Went West back.
(of course, I don't want MMJ to play it half-ass if they're sick of it.)

marktwain

oops, shit.  I didn't see that 'say it ain't so' thread.  Sorry.  (or maybe I did and subconsciously registered it as a Weezer thead.  Either way...) :-/

peanut butter puddin surprise

I can see their point of view;  unless your Keith Richards, who somehow can't get sick of playing "Satisfaction" every night for 40 years, it must get old playin' the same stuff all of the time.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

aMillionDreams

I said this somewheres else, but I'm glad it's getting retired.  I used to really like it, but it grew old on me too.  After a while whenever they started playing it I would think "oh, great, another 12 minute version of 'Phone Went West'" I would have rather heard two of songs they never play then that one again.  Plus, I think that Jim was saying that that song defined a moment in time for the band may have been a reference to the old lineup.

Songs to dust off to replace PWW:
War Begun
Honest Man
Lil Billy
Picture of You
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

EC

QuoteI can see their point of view;  unless your Keith Richards, who somehow can't get sick of playing "Satisfaction" every night for 40 years, it must get old playin' the same stuff all of the time.
Maybe that's the trick!!  We need to feed them shepherd's pie, bangers and mash, and vodka and orange crush every day...

Chills

:)

LOTS of vodka & orange
Actually, lots of vodka, go easy on the orange.

peanut butter puddin surprise

nah, whatever they're eatin' and drinkin' let's keep em on that fer a while...seems to be workin' just fine!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

Chills

Quotenah, whatever they're eatin' and drinkin' let's keep em on that fer a while...seems to be workin' just fine!

Right  8)

kymoose

"Picture of You"

I hear ya aMD--do you Louisville folks remember the version of Picture of You that was played at Headliner's in Sept. 2003?  I've got a video of that performance......priceless.

That is one of those old tunes that should make a resurgance.  Maybee kind of like the resurgance of Cobra in 2004 shows.

tomEisenbraun

unfortunately, Lil Billy was a very shortlived song. It's in early retirement already, too. And I'm not just talkin, I heard it first-hand. So that sorta sucks. Either that or it was ll lies and they're gonna totally give me an ass-plowin at Nashville, but I don't suppose tommy would lie that sincerely. He'd probably wrap it in a little mystery if there was a chance that it owuld come back, but he sounded like they put Lil Billy back in the vault. So unless we get reeeeeeallly luck and coax it out of em, i dont think there's any way we're gonna hear it again. Apparently they thought about puttin it on It Still Moves, though. But it never got recorded.

:'(
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ChiefOKONO

damn!!!i love this tune.. what a bummer, man!

Cameron

i love hearing PWW live.  the first time i saw mmj it was the last song they played and seeing it live left me speechless.  on the other hand i could see how seeing them doing it over and over may get a little old and i'm all for keeping the setlists different.  

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

ratsprayer

i'm  :-/ as well, but only because ive not seen them do it live.  ill settle for all the live versions i have, though.   :)

dragonboy

I'm a big  :(
I've yet to see MMJ live & I used to day-dream all the time about hearing PWW live for the first time.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

thebear0284

phone went west live at bonnaroo was the pinnacle of my life