Off the Record

Started by Huntley42, Oct 06, 2005, 12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huntley

Not sure if this has been discussed yet.  Has anyone played the end of this song in reverse yet; assuming you 1)have the technology or 2)bought the vinyl version?  I am expecting the vinyl version to arrive via mail any day now and am anxious to hear the end of this track in reverse.  Definitely seems to be something there upon listening to it in standard playback.

tomEisenbraun

there's only two ways to....ohhh my Jesus....Lionel!
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Quotethere's only two ways to....ohhh my Jesus....Lionel!

See, that motherfucking Oh My Jesus scared the SHIT out of me when I first did the backwards thing, and I've kind of stayed away from doing that, now.

It's scary.  Reminds me of Exorcist III. bleeehhiiiyyaaaahh.

tomEisenbraun

haha. it's awesome though. i listened to it like fifteen times trying to fiugre everything out. i think they were just having some weird fun with it

it's so weird

...eight hundred loyal followers...

(here's a clue)

EC

passing microphone under his face

ec - Excuse me, Mr. Eizzzenbraun, but you get to see My Morning Jacket in two days, is this correct?
EiZ - Yep. That is correct.
ec - And, if you don't mind my asking, are you totally excited about this?
EiZ - I am.  I'm really stoked.  I think it's gonna be a good night, I'm looking forward to hanging with some awesome dudes, maybe getting the rest of my t-shirt signed, hearing Oxen and stuff.  Yep, I think it's gonna be awesome.

tomEisenbraun

oh man. i actually don't have the shirt with me. i figured I'd make a new one, make that my MMj tradition. Just snag a tight white T-Shirt and write the setlist down the front as it happens. get the dudes to sign the back of my shoulders.

or whatever

i'm just lookin to completely rock out.

and yes, you've got a show to look forward to, don't ye?

(any idea if you had some influence in gettin em to come up to Toronto?)

EC

Quote(any idea if you had some influence in gettin em to come up to Toronto?)
hahahahahaha!  Toronto is a pretty big city, and I believe we're generally liked by most bands who come up here and play.  :)

tomEisenbraun

haha, that sounded like Jim's reaction at the Soundscapes solo set he played.

aMillionDreams

there is an analysis of the backwards part of Off the Record on the Spoiler thread.  There is an mp3 off the track backwards floating around there if you don't want to screw up your turntables.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

haha, not much of an analysis, but it does sound cool that way

dragonboy

Not played it in reverse.
Sounds very french to me as it is.
Bonjour!  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Huntley

As you all have stated there is nothing there but indeed there is.  Reversing it is not the only step to be taken, there is a tempo adjustment as well.  It goes something like this "Change you direction with utmost purpose, were heading for the end, were heading for the end, were heading for the end."  Easiest to perform this function on my turntable while reversing the motor and speeding up the tempo.  There is more there too, buried in the sound; will try to make it out later.

EC

Huntley, I don't think I've said this before, but I love your picture.  :)