Track By Track Analysis of "Z"...check it out!

Started by Nikkogino, Oct 05, 2005, 08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I wrote a track by track analysis of the new album if anyone cares.  I really love this album...I had to put it into words.  Especially read if you dislike the song "Into the Woods."  Tell me what you think.  Thanks guys.

Track By Track Analysis of My Morning Jacket's new album:

1. Wordless Chorus: Great opening track. The "ahhhh ooooo ahhhhh" of the chorus is very soothing. Frontman Jim James (AKA Cap'n Goodies) reminds us right off that back that MMJ are "the innovators" and that all the rest are "the immitators." This album is truly an innovation of MMJ's previous work, as well as the crafting of a genre all their own. The song fades out with a surprising high pitched crooning that only Jim James could pull off.....I don't know how it works, but it works, and that is why MMJ are such a great band. They can make anything sound good. (9 out of 10)

2. It Beats For you: A quick drum roll with some clever guitar picking opens this simple, yet effective, track. This is definitely a standout track on the album. "Who can count the time I'm beating, with my hands?" This song is perfectly put together. The instrumentation of this song is excellent: The drums, keyboard, guitars, and bass act as ingredients that compliment each other marvelously. The song is pushed over the edge at the end by the western-styled whistling. As the song fades out, you realize that MMJ has just unearthed a brilliant gem. (9.5 out of 10)

3. Gideon: This track is very interesting. The music sounds very Coldplayish, due to the light guitar. The lyrics, however, sound very angry. James sings "Religion should appeal to the hearts of the young. Who are you? What Have you Become?" The song maintains its composure, but James has to break the silence as he belts out, "Come onnnnn!!!!" The song definitely comes off as a plea. "Listen, Listen, most of us believe that this is wrong." Well, Jim, most of us believe that this song is just right! (8 out of 10)

4. What a Wonderful Man: This song definitely moves MMJ into the "weird" territory. As James sings about a "sensible" and "wonderful" man, the guitars are in full effect, wailing alongside James' interesting vocals. The chorus veers so far from anything MMJ has attempted, and yes, somehow (and I don't know how) it works perfectly. With this song, James shows how bold he is with his latest musical offering. "What a Wonderful Man" sounds nothing like any other MMJ song, but it fits into the album very nicely. Again, I have no idea what James is talking about in this song, but I don't care either. Good track, errr, I think? (8 out of 10)

5. Off the Record: Here it is...the album's first single. I have heard the "Hawaii Five-O" comparison a million times and although there is a definite similarity, MMJ make this song all their own. This is the definite centerpiece of the album. As MMJ has already displayed so far on the album, "Z" is about going in new directions musically. It seems as if James is singing to the listener: "You've got to want to re-arrange" and "You've got to know that we will change." This is the ultimate goal of the musician- to change, yet keep the same element of magic from previous works. "Off the Record" diversifies the record even more, and proves that MMJ have held on to the magic that inhabited their previous albums. "Right Right. Right Right." (9 out of 10)

6. Into the Woods: The most unusual, yet rewarding track on the album. The song plays out like a waltz through a dark, damp forest filled with a chorus of spirits. The song's lyrics are extremely dimented and outright eerie. "A kitten on fire, a baby in a blender." Although the song seems outwardly revolting, it is truly the most beautiful track on the entire album. The way that James sings the chorus makes the song even more spooky. "I went over the river and into the woods, where did I go?" MMJ has definitely taken the listener into unfamiliar territory... Although this song does take some time, it is a truly rewarding experience. This is a song that will quickly move to the top of fans' lists. It is definitely a song to behold. (10 out of 10)

7. Anytime: In this track, James sings about communication problems, which are ultimately solved through Madonna's advice to "Express Yourself." This album is summed up best by the word WEIRD. This track makes full use of new keyboardist Bo Koster's (AKA Bart Koosler) abilities as he switches from casually playing the organ to banging (pretty dang hard) on the keys later in the song. This is a very solid track, although it is overshadowed by the next three tracks. (7.5 out of 10)

8. Lay Low: WOW. This is MMJ at its finest. This song is reminiscent of the "It Still Moves" sound yet it fits pefectly into the flow of the album. "Lay Low" is nothing short of awesome. The chorus is extremely catchy and the instrumentation is (as always) perfect. "Lay Low if the feel is right, I got all that I want here in you tonight and we'll pass out on the bedroom floor after going like this so long." Try not to bob your head. If the song wasn't excellent enough, the listener is rewarded with a 3 minute guitar jam that will unsheath many air guitars this year. Kudos to new guitarist Carl Broemel (AKA Kyle Bramble) for showing his skills on this song. Shut your eyes and feel this music right now! This song will please everyone...no doubt about it. There is nothing else to say! (10 out of 10)

9. Knot Comes Loose: Excellent follow-up track to "Lay Low." Slow, sweet, and plain beautiful. "Baby, baby, can't you see that I'm smiling...Can't you see, there's a part of me that's brand new." This song competes with any of the slower tracks from previous albums. The keys are extremely soft and pretty. The slide guitar compliments the tune, and that VOICE! Another perfect song. (10 out of 10)

10. Dondante: Okay, this album is getting a little ridiculous. After "Lay Low" and "Knot Comes Loose," the listener is rewarded with this classic. "Dondante" starts out with a forboding verse that displays, once again, Jim James' range as a vocalist. His voice is filled with a strong sadness on this track. The song moves in so many directions, which makes it a definite standout. After Jim's emotional singing, a weeping guitar takes the song to its climax. "You had me worried!" Jim James belts this out with such passion and angst. His last word comes in the form of a sorrowful yelp which paves the way for the delicate closing to an extraordinary song and a magnificent album. (10 out of 10)

Thank you MMJ for taking chances and creating an excellent album!

EC

Good work, nikkogino.  I enjoyed reading that! :)

SMc55

QuoteGood work, nikkogino.  I enjoyed reading that! :)

Me too!!!
I'm really looking forward to hearing it. I know It Beats For You and Off The Record and can identify with your analysis of both. The anticipation contiues to mount here  :D

whothrewthecake

nice job! the last three all definitely deserve 10/10. the end of dondante deserves a 10. IT ALL DESERVES A 10.  8)

realdeal

hi, i really dislike the song 'into the woods'. sorry, i just don't like it one bit. the structure is too chaotic for me and gives me a headache. it just sounds like a big joke and the lyrics are not what i expect from someone who writes amazing songs. i don't understand why they think this belongs on the record, doesn't fit.

"rewarding experience".....ummmmmmm what?! you've got to be kidding.

HorkoLad

Quotehi, i really dislike the song 'into the woods'. sorry, i just don't like it one bit. the structure is too chaotic for me and gives me a headache. it just sounds like a big joke and the lyrics are not what i expect from someone who writes amazing songs. i don't understand why they think this belongs on the record, doesn't fit.

wow, you're WAY off
[img][url="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/JeffoC6/cracknow.jpg"]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/JeffoC6/cracknow.jpg[/url][/img]

EC

Quotehi, i really dislike the song 'into the woods'. sorry, i just don't like it one bit. the structure is too chaotic for me and gives me a headache. it just sounds like a big joke and the lyrics are not what i expect from someone who writes amazing songs. i don't understand why they think this belongs on the record, doesn't fit.

That's cool, realdeal.  I do think that there's some irony in there.  (I don't know if irony is the best word...)  I picture the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the toys start to melt.  I LOVE it.  I think it's beautifully creepy and it has a lot of images in there for me.  It's certainly not straightforward, so maybe it just freaks some people out too much...  Or, whatever, I don't mean to analyze why you don't like it.

Nikkogino

I hated the song the first 10 times I heard it.  Now I can't get enough.  I love the way he sings "put in more, than you could ever get out"...I also love the circus music in the middle and the chorus at the end.  
Just curious real deal, how many times have you listened to the song.  I have had the cd now for weeks so maybe it is an aquired taste (which is what i believe).

ratsprayer

i definitely hated 'into the woods' on the first few listens. when the drums would kick in, i was just all, wot the fuck is this?  i still think the drums are a bit awkward, but i think its a great song.  anytime, on the other hand....

fitzcarraldo

Yo Nikko saw that on Amazon. Good review kid!

JulietteZZZZZZZZZ

Don't kill me, but "What A Wonderful Man" definately reminds me of Mozz and The Smiths.

EC

Really?!  Hmmmm, I have to listen now with that in mind...

Who would kill you about that?  I think that's awesome!!  :)

Nikkogino

Okay, I just saw them live last night in the ATL (hotlanta as jim likes to say) and each track sounds excellent live.  

JacketGal

cool! I had a feeling that the songs would translate well when played live!

I really liked your review too, thanks.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

Nikkogino

I really liked your review too, thanks.

thanks!

Oz

'Gideon' and Coldplay, yeah, I definitely agree with that. And 'What a wonderful man' and The Smiths... well, now that you mention!
I'm ready when you are