Copy-protection bullshit!

Started by aMillionDreams, Oct 04, 2005, 03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doEVILslittle

QuoteI just read a post on how to easily take care of the protection situation.  I did it and it didn't involve downloading any software.  I changed one setting on my computer.  If you want the info, drop me a line.  hellohello121@hotmail.com

As for the rest of the stuff, bygones.

see kids...thats what i'm sayin...

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

scroll down a little before half way

antoniostrohs

see kids...thats what i'm sayin...

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~jhalderm/cd3/

scroll down a little before half way
Thanks man,this worked perfectly for me and was able to download it on my ipod.I didn't have any luck with the Exact Audio Copy converting to mp3s without it still being garbled.It also helped with The Black Rebel Motorcycle Club new disc which had the same protection.Thanks to everyone that offer us some help.

cochrock121

I got this from ATO, it is very cool they even replied.

Hi,

We at ATO Records are aware of the problems being experienced by certain
fans due to the copy-protection of our distributor.  Neither we nor our
artists ever gave permission for the use of this technology, nor is it our
distributor's opinion that they need our permission.  Wherever it is our
decision, we will forego use of copy-protection, just as we have in the
past.

Meanwhile, Sony has set up this site to help you deal with any issues you
may have: http://cp.sonybmg.com/xcp/

Or go to:
http://tickets.sunncomm.com/selfhelp/addbook_readarticle.php?articleID=72&PH
PSESSID=1f8f15e686d4137bdcca196e16903d73 ... Fill out a support ticket and
they will email you instructions for one of several "workarounds" you can
find for this "Sony BMG" "copy-protection."

There are a few other ways around this copy-protection that you should be
able to find online.

We also recommend assuring that "auto-run" is not enabled for all discs you
use on your PC, and not accepting Windows Updates that include changes to
your "DRM" or Digital Rights Management (especially those in Windows Media
Player 10), until we can guarantee these problems won't arise.  In the
meantime, the easiest way around these issues is to use Apple Computer
products in conjunction with your iPod.

We can not apologize enough for the difficulties you've encountered trying
to experience the disc you've purchased.  We hope you'll continue to have a
long and rewarding experience with music after this regrettable situation is
sorted out.

Thank you for your support.

Chris B.

ATO Records

EC

Good work ATO!!

Thumbs down Sony.  Man.

Steve Marth (again)

That actually makes me pretty happy to read. I like that attitude... and it actually reads as genuinely apologetic, as opposed to the usual BS that companies' form letters usually read as.

But it seems ATO needs to do something to cut themselves off of whichever company is currently making decisions for them.

And it doesn't change the fact I still want a new copy or a refund.

It's a good sign, nonetheless.

tdan

Don't you just love honesty?  Big ups to ATO for not trying to hide the real problem from their customers.  Like I have said previously, we (the customer) are the losers in this pissing contest between Sony/Microsoft and Apple.  Sony can't make a digital music player that can compete with the iPod line so I guess this is their passive aggressive way of fighting back.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

Willard79

I, like all of you are SO sick and tired of this Copy-Protection WMA Crap!!  I think it's totally unfair that when you buy a CD legally, you can only transfer it to Windows Media Player, and not iTunes.  I experienced the same frustration as all of you, and even considered the solution of burning a copy on Windows Media Player, then importing the copied disc into iTunes.  But, unfortunately I can't copy CDs on Windows Media Player.  I'm SO done with Windows Media!  Since I only paid a measly $7.99 for the CD, I think it could've been at least $9.99...The Album is AWESOME!  I've been listening to it Non-Stop!  I forked up another $9.99 to Download it from iTunes.  It was totally worth it!  You even get an extra track "How Could I Know" which is just as good as the rest of the album!  So, I ended up paying nearly $20 for one of the Best Albums to come out in 2005. I'm Happy!  If a CD indicates copy-protection, and says it will only work on Windows Media Player, I'll save my money, and just get it from iTunes.

Jellyfish

My copy will not play in windows media player or real player,even if I hold the shift key down.

Good thing I listen on my stereo.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

dboon

Rip the cd into iTunes on a Mac, use WAV format,
and then burn it ot a CD. now you have a non-protected, freely transferrable version of Z. Load this copy onto your PC thru iTunes and you're set - plus WAV format is better than AAC/MPEG.

SONY/BMG is to blame for this use-crippling / user-rights restricting setup. DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCTS - This is the ONLY way they will get the point, and stop...maybe (not) ;>

cochrock121

jellyfish,

send me an e-mail, i will hook you up.  hellohello121@hotmail.com

and all of you that bitched that i was bitching about the protected cd...  the information is now on the bands front page.  you can thank me later.

cheers.

Elizanne33

I followed the advice that October gave about copying the files to the pc. Then I used my windows media player to burn a copy of the disc. I was able to use that burned cd to load the songs into my itunes and successfully onto my ipod. I didn't have to convert any files.

doEVILslittle

tomorrow.........anyone who wants the cd unprotected...just message me on the boards and i will hit u up with a link with all the songs ripped...i got it under control kiddies

tomEisenbraun

ehhh...I'd say eb careful on that one. It's easy enough to bypass the thing, I would suggest you not trade it around like that. If they own a copy, they can do it. Not be an ass about it, but you probably oughta hold off on that.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotetomorrow.........anyone who wants the cd unprotected...just message me on the boards and i will hit u up with a link with all the songs ripped...i got it under control kiddies

Please do not trade any files that are from pulished releases, however noble the intention may be.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ratsprayer

Please do not trade any files that are from pulished releases, however noble the intention may be.

wot if they trade receipts for undeniable proof they bought the cd, and hes just doing a favour because hes got the trick to make the tracks unprotected?  

maybe i should change my name to devilzzzzz advocate   ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

all I'm sayin' is that the workarounds are very public information.  ripping files to your ipod is one thing, but trading the band's released material is another.  please don't trade the band's released music!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

kingjeremy

What's most annoying about this annoying CD with amazing music is I can't fuckin play songs using VLC. The annoying BMG music player pops up. When I rip the songs, they just get converted into WMAs which are annoying as hell as they won't play in VLC. And the downloading licence shit...ughh...I wonder why such awesome bands get sucked up in Record Company Scams.

BTW, Z rocked my Soxzzz  ;D

EC

QuoteI wonder why such awesome bands get sucked up in Record Company Scams.
Hiya King Jeremy. :)

If you read around you'll see that ATO seemed just as pissed as us about this stuff.  It looks like SONY went ahead and produced the record with this protection stuff on it without having consulted ATO first.

doEVILslittle

Quoteall I'm sayin' is that the workarounds are very public information.  ripping files to your ipod is one thing, but trading the band's released material is another.  please don't trade the band's released music!

they are pretty public...but people keep posting on here about how they can't play song on their computer or ipod...when i know i've posted the workaround a damn good amount of times....i'm just tryin to do a good deed, but at the request of johnny C i'll hold off on that