Main Menu

MPH Magazine

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 12, 2005, 04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.mph-online.com/mag/booty/0016

My Morning Jacket, Z (CD, ATO/RCA)
By David Thomas

There are two common schools of thought among music writers regarding My Morning Jacket's music. Either the snobbish journalists claim Jim James is the next coming of Neil Young and all shall bow down before him, or the other snobbish journalists say Jim James is simply aping Neil Young and all shall dismiss him and his band.

The truth weighs heavily to the former position and with Z the band steps farther away from Neil Young than it has ever done before. No, there isn't much new that will turn off fans of It Still Moves, but the group adeptly embraces their own strengths and shuns from relying too heavily on James' pipes.

Both "Gideon" and especially "What A Wonderful Man" lay down impressive bits of classic rock and modern indie sensibilities as perfectly as any past work. It is around the middle of the disc that we find the real meat and realize how bad most albums we get to review truly are. However, everything at the fringes loses a bit of intensity and therefore the listener's interest. But overall, My Morning Jacket sets a mellow mood almost anyone can enjoy. That universal appeal seals the deal on Z.

Driving Recommendations: Out of 10

Rocking Out: 1.0
Day Time Road Trip: 6.0
Late Night Road Trip: 9.5 (if properly caffeinated)
Cruising: 5.0