Z.....makes me happy, yet very sad.

Started by Nikkogino, Oct 10, 2005, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

Okay, I was just in the shower listening to "It Still Moves."  I started off with "Run Thru", and then skipped to the one-two punch of "Just One Thing" and "Run Thru."  Man was I amazed...and I have listened to those songs a million times!  On to the point of the post:

I love "Z."  I give it 10+ stars, I think its a masterpiece, blah blah blah.  I freaking love it!  But, is anyone concerned, unhappy, sad, etc. about that sound fading away as MMJ moves on.  Don't get me wrong, I love the direction that MMJ is going, but I also love where they have been.  I'll use the Radiohead comparison since a couple reviewers have been using it.  Okay, say "Z" is MMJ's "OK Computer"...does that mean that the sad, lonely, southern-inspired songs (ala "The Way that He Sings" and "The Bear") will fade as MMJ moves on to different things?  Or do you think they will keep providing us with a few familiar sounding tracks (Lay Low, Knot Comes Loose)?  

Keep in mind, I am not one of those fans that hates it when their band changes...I think bands are supposed to do that.  I also don't like it when bands make the same album over and over again.  I'm just listening to "At Dawn" and "It Still Moves" and admiring their greatness.  Are MMJ done with this form of music?

I would appreciate your thoughts.  ('Death Is the Easy Way' is now playing in the background as I finish typing).

Nikko

EC

Who knows?  I hear what you're saying nikkogino, but bands change because people change.  I always look at a record as a reflection of where people were at at a specific point in their lives.  Sometimes you're bouncing around and trying new things, sometimes you want to do something that feels familiar.  Mostly you probably don't know what's going to come out of you, unless you decide "I want to do it this way." But, I think most of that is unconscious.  

I love those old records, too.  I mean, seriously love them.  But in the same way that I can listen to The Bends and then listen to OK Computer right afterwards, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to listen to At Dawn followed by... G or something. ;)

Nikkogino

QuoteWho knows?  I hear what you're saying nikkogino, but bands change because people change.  I always look at a record as a reflection of where people were at at a specific point in their lives.  Sometimes you're bouncing around and trying new things, sometimes you want to do something that feels familiar.  Mostly you probably don't know what's going to come out of you, unless you decide "I want to do it this way." But, I think most of that is unconscious.  

I love those old records, too.  I mean, seriously love them.  But in the same way that I can listen to The Bends and then listen to OK Computer right afterwards, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to listen to At Dawn followed by... G or something. ;)

True.

corey

It's hard to weigh in on this.

I don't think Jim sits around and thinks "I'm gonna write some  dark, lonely songs". "The Tennessee Fire" and "At Dawn" probably just represent that period of his life.

While "Z" may not sound anything like those records, it's definitely not a step in the "Life is great!" direction. After reading what "what a wonderful man" is about, it really makes you re-think everything about that song. It's really sad, but it's also very touching and up-lifting to hear him sing that song about someone that he obviously loved very much. It's just a different way of releasing the tension. Where he was able to accomplish that task with just a guitar on some of the early stuff, he's able to take it to the next level with the line-up that he has now. These guys push him to be a better musician, and I applaud all of them for that.

Do I think there is a chance of hearing stuff like "I will be there when you die" again? Yes, but all things in due time.

Jim is most definitely in a very creative place right now and I say that we let him roll with it. We've got the first two albums and the Early Recordings to keep us satisfied with the more stripped-down style for a while.

Nikkogino

Jim James is definitely in a very creative place right now...

can anyone tell me what "What A Wonderful Man" and 'Dondante' are about?  Also, are they about the same person?

corey

I think he talks about "what a wonderful man" in the Velocity article that is linked in "The Band" sub-forum.

EC

And I think somebody mentioned a bit about Dondante in the London shows thread in the Shows section. :)

(Nice earlier post, Corey. :))

Oz

I keep thinking it's strange how lots of people are nostalgic to the days of ISM and think Z is a departure from that, while ISM itself was also a departure from the years before it. ISM was MMJ turned into a multi-touring heavy rock band on a more or less big label, when on Darla they had been melancholic saddo's with a knack for experimenting (on their EPs). Mind you: less than 50% of the songs on TTF could be called 'southern rock'. Ofcourse, it was an element that had been present in their music from the beginning, but ISM was the first time they made a whole album of it. And on Z, they've made an album of other elements that were a little more below the surface on their previous albums. But like I've said in my own review, if you think the MMJ of ISM is the MMJ, then you're wrong.

But you definitely have a point about the sadness, loneliness and countriness, even though the latter isn't a word, and I would miss it too if it were to disappear, but I don't think it will - it's the one element that has been present on all their releases.

Now that I reread your post, Nikko, I see that you're not really nostalgic to ISM at all, at least not in the way I meant. Oh well. Let's just consider my rant as a sidenote quite far from the point but maybe worth considering for someone, somewhere, sometime...
I'm ready when you are

Nikkogino

Now that I reread your post, Nikko, I see that you're not really nostalgic to ISM at all, at least not in the way I meant. Oh well. Let's just consider my rant as a sidenote quite far from the point but maybe worth considering for someone, somewhere, sometime...

It's cool OZ.

And what is also cool is that MMJ have put out 4 EXCELLENT albums.  No matter what direction they go in, I am confident that I will love the music.  
I am also glad that the direction of their music depends on how they feel and what they want to do.  The music isn't forced and it is certainly not fake-  it is MMJ making the kind of music that comes naturally, which thankfully is always good.  I think Z is a great album because it is able to please the fanbase while appealing to a wider audience.  

tomEisenbraun

i think MMJ definitely is moving. Z is the next step, but the creative faculties are still the same man's mind. I can see Jim being quite James Taylor-y, in a good way, later on in his life. Either that, or getting weirder. I'm imagining a nice weird James Taylor kind of thing in about 20 years. And I will probably be proved wrong, but I think that everybody gets crankin and then has to slow down a bit.

Good thing is, MMJ does both. Hopefully we'll get another acoustic tour next year. And if you've listened to "Where To Begin" Jim still very much has his beautifully lonely aspect to his music.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

aMillionDreams

Interesting debate.  A lot good commentary.  I agree with O that this band has been changing since day one.  Personally, I have nostalga fever when it comes to this band.  I love the sound and feel of everything they were doing in 2000 and 2001 more than anything since.  However, I love to see this band morph and grow, but always knowing where to begin, if know know what I mean.  It doesn't make me sad though.  
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

dragonboy

Interesting thread Nikko  :)

I think it was the Mojo interview where Jim said that the band nearly called it a day after Danny & Johnny left.
That made me really sad/scared!
I simply can't & don't want to think about the thought of no new MMJ music.

I love the old stuff & love Z too.

Like Tom said, you only have to listen to Where To Begin to see that Jim still has that quiet, softer side to him.
I definately think we'll have more music that is closer to the early records in the future.

As to when, who knows but that's not a problem for me.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Willy_Glen

bands and music are all about evolution, just be thankful the band is still together and making great and different and challenging music. we can't really say anything cuz we're not in the band, we don't deal with what they do, we're not jim's mind...i think all musicans can relate to that, but all i know is MMJ is the best band around right now, and thats a Fact.

fitzcarraldo

Quoteall i know is MMJ is the best band around right now, and thats a Fact.

That's the fact, Jack!

Nikkogino

That's the fact, Jack!

great film!
BTW, have you seen the new unrated version with extra scenes???  There is a long (about 10 minute) long scene where they go parachuting with some airborne guys and end up in unfamiliar territory.  It is a very unbelievable scene but it is wayyyy worth it if you are a big murray fan like myself.