Univ. of Dayton - Z Review

Started by LaurieBlue, Oct 25, 2005, 04:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.flyernews.com/article.php?section=AE&volume=53&issue=13&artnum=02

My Morning Jacket's 'Z' offers fresh new sound  

Greg Hansberry
Staff Writer

It's quite apparent that Louisville-based band My Morning Jacket have reached the next plateau of their career.

This alt-rock-indie-country-jam-rock band recently released their fourth full-length album, "Z." Much like their previous albums, "Z" is rich with lead singer and songwriter Jim James' vocal reverberation and brilliant melodies.

This time, however, My Morning Jacket takes a small step away from their straight-forward, longer guitar driven songs. "Z" is much more progressive and polished.

The band teamed up with seasoned British producer John Leckie who has worked with bands such as "Radiohead." Departing from their usual studio setup in Louisville, My Morning Jacket and Leckie took off to up-state New York to create the newest release.

Without their traditional outdoor sounds, natural reverb from grain silos and overall Kentuckian atmosphere, the album (for better or worse) sounds much more like a cleaner, well produced studio album. One reason is that the songs are a bit shorter and to the point, unlike the eight minute epics on prior albums.

"Z" is full of atypical My Morning Jacket instrumentation, intergrading electronic beats, keys, sound effects and even a Theremin on the track "Into the Woods." Also contributing to the fresh sound is the minor lineup change to the act, with new keyboardist Bo Koster and guitarist Carl Broemel.

According to the band's official website, Broemel said "Most of the songs are based on the sound of Jim's voice."

The opening track for example, "Wordless Chorus," suggests just that. It is a rhythm heavy song with James' voice wailing away, lost in his own text-less reverb.

"Off the Record," the UK single, is the most commercially friendly song on the album. It sounds awfully close to the Hawaii Five-O theme, then it turns into a murky, echo-filled jam at the end, saving the song from total pop disaster. Conversely the song "Into the Woods" offers an experimental dark circus waltz that is laden with background sound effects.

To their fans content, "Z" doesn't go too far from their Louisville sound. The record also includes the more traditional alt-country rock songs that My Morning Jacket has mastered so well. "Lay Low" or the album's closer, "Dondante," sound like they easily could have come from a previous release.

The one thing that remains constant through out the whole album is James' ability to write a catchy vocal melody that takes listener's ears to unexpected places. His voice, full of reverb and soul, sores through the layers of guitars and drums and puts the icing on this ambient rock record.

Since their more-than-solid preceding album, "It Still Moves," James and company seem to have picked up a few things on tour. It sounds like the band has learned a thing or two from playing with indie-rock perfectionists Jeff Tweedy and Conor Oberst. For instance, the piano accompaniment on the album and their exploration of alternate instrumentation mirrors the musical ideals of these fellow artists.

Perhaps the most impressive part of "Z," however, is the ability for the band to be progressive without compromising the My Morning Jacket sound that they have established.

tdan

Quotehttp://www.flyernews.com/article.php?section=AE&volume=53&issue=13&artnum=02

...sores through the layers of guitars and drums and puts the icing on this ambient rock record.

sores, icing?  ewww!
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end