Ch-ch-ch-changes

Started by O, Aug 20, 2005, 12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Something I noticed: a lot of the talk about Z, of wich I have by the way not heard a single note yet, not even live versions, can be summarized as "hmmm, it's not like It still moves". Wich is, I think, pretty funny. Because I remember seeing them live the first time, wich was summer 2000, and thinking "what's this? they rock! where's all the slow and melancholic stuff?" And then when At dawn arrived, the lo-fi vibe was gone and the songs were longer and different. Chocolate and ice was a shock, and on first hearing 'O is the one that is real' I hoped that would be the direction for the new album. And then It still moves was again so different from their previous stuff. So what I'm trying to say here, everything they've done so far was different from what they had done. The people that sayt that the new MMJ is not the MMJ from ISM probably never heard of MMJ before ISM, because ISM was already a big change, that some old fans didn't like. As you all know, I've always liked The Tennessee Fire best, because I happen to have a knack for sad lo-fi melancholia, but everything MMJ has done since still touched me deeply and I'm still curious to hear their next move. I know it will surprise me and I know it will be very, very good, even if they turn hiphop. And hey, if you don't like your favorite band to change, be glad they're not David Bowie..
I'm ready when you are

Jellyfish

Hey O,I like TTF best too...thought I was the only one.  ;)
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

dragonboy

You only have to look at history to see that bands that change & evolve their sound are the ones that really stand the test of time (The Beatles, Radiohead, Nirvana etc)
I was dissappointed with ISM when it 1st came out because it was so different but, of course, LOVE it now.
I hate bands that put the same shit out every time just for the cash!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

primushead

Very true...i wish i had more to add, but for now I'm just going to agree ;)

Jellyfish

QuoteI hate bands that put the same shit out every time just for the cash!

Amen to that.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

The_Link

thanks for stating the obvoius. ;)

peanut butter puddin surprise

You skipped Led Zep, whose entire catalog is entirely different from each other...but you are correct.  I think the one thing that needs to be embraced is the constant evolution in the sound.  I don't see Jim putting out endless clones of TTF, or even more lo fi, for that matter.
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

TheLink

yes, but Robeert Plant played with David Coverdale at some point!  Doesn't mean he sold out, well...yes it does.  Artists need to eat and hopefully in a perfect world the music they make will be well respected and keep them alive and keeping us happy for a very long time. MMJ is new and still has time to screw this up.  JK! ;)

TheLink

woops..no he didn't.  was Coverdale - Page!  My bad! ;D

say, how did you "slide it in" "in the still of the night" to "take me down slow and easy"??  :D

TheLink

what, not Astroglide??  ;)