Main Menu

The Reviews

Started by johnconaway, Sep 14, 2005, 06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanut butter puddin surprise

After perusing the awesome new reviews on the Press page, I can hear the collective buzzing of hundreds of critcs, fans, everyone.  Most impressive is the Mojo review, so well written, so full of praise and yet very informative on the sound.

Thoughts on the new reviews?  I think I have a "soul chubby"... ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

ratsprayer

they seem to be nothing but positive so far, but im a bit tired already of the press machine using those same quotes from jim about it grooving and swinging.  i guess those are mainly the publications that have no idea about mmj and take the bit the record company sends them?  

well, there's probably a press kit sent out that has those very quotes in it and they most likely get rehashed over and over again...just my guess.

primushead

Quotewell, there's probably a press kit sent out that has those very quotes in it and they most likely get rehashed over and over again...just my guess.

A press kit?  What is that exactly? ???

you know, a bio, possibly an interview or two printed out, maybe a promo copy, photos...everybody from Lipton Tea to your local art gallery does this, it's just PR.  not that I'm saying they do that, but perhaps they do?

ratsprayer

yeah i think any cd that will sell over 17 copies nationwide has this sort of thing.  thats why i was saying a lot of these articles about both Z and Elizabethtown say the same thing.  id think the record company puts those together and sends them  to zines and radio stations.

EC

If you go to www.theguvernment.com and click on the my morning jacket show, there's a press release pdf there that you can read - gives you a little indication of how things get promoted.  :)

Plus, if you go to their marketing managers (girlie something or other), they give you options to download high res or low res photos - I think that for press, so that they have something to print or to put online.  :)

That's how we do stuff like that in theatreland, anyhow...

That and a shitload of postcards.  

primushead

Ahh, very interesting 8)

whothrewthecake

reviews seem glowing. i can't wait to add my own stellar praise on oct. 4th.

aMillionDreams

I really don't like reviews in general.  Mojo's reviews was pretty good.  But I thought the Men's Fitness and Penthouse articles were completely ridiculous.  The Men's Fitness article says that 'Z' "rocks in a way that'll make your braless girlfriend get on your shoulders and take off her top".  That's what we're all looking for in life after all.  Well, that and a soulchubby.   ;)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

tomEisenbraun

QuoteÊThe Men's Fitness article says that 'Z' "rocks in a way that'll make your braless girlfriend get on your shoulders and take off her top". Ê

oh man, look at what I'm missing by not reading men's magazines. Because, that is what true men are about.

What happened to chivalry and respect?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

primushead

oh man, look at what I'm missing by not reading men's magazines. Because, that is what true men are about.

What happened to chivalry and respect?

It's a lost artform my friend.  

sweatboard

It's a lost artform my friend.  

So is flashing your tits at a rock show. ;D
There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

sweat, I recall you flashed your tits at the 40 Watt show. I was impressed!  ;)

dragonboy

The mojo review is excellent!
Z is the first review in the October issue which is a prestigious spot, not bad going when you consider that Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, Sigur Ros David Gray etc all have new releases in the same issue.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Dee.

QuoteThe Men's Fitness article says that 'Z' "rocks in a way that'll make your braless girlfriend get on your shoulders and take off her top".
Oh man, where is the puking smiley when you need it?  :-/

Chills

I've read the reviews too. It's cool, but pretty weird too. Suddenly everybody loves them. All those magazines must have had copies of TTF and At Dawn too. Why didn't all of them loudly proclaim these as masterpieces? Because they weren't hip enough?
It's weird how this thing works. Now there is some buzz around them (movie and different reasons) there is like an avalanche of these sort of write-ups.

Oh well, it certainly can't be bad for the band.
And "Z" will rock!

Gripe

So is flashing your tits at a rock show. ;D

Thank you, Sweatboard, for having a sense of humour.

Igottago

QuoteI've read the reviews too. It's cool, but pretty weird too. Suddenly everybody loves them. All those magazines must have had copies of TTF and At Dawn too. Why didn't all of them loudly proclaim these as masterpieces? Because they weren't hip enough?
It's weird how this thing works. Now there is some buzz around them (movie and different reasons) there is like an avalanche of these sort of write-ups.

Oh well, it certainly can't be bad for the band.
And "Z" will rock!

Yeah, the previous records should've recieved much more attention, but hey, MMJ don't fit conventional trends. But better late than never, the music is too good to ignore. MMJ deserve the attention, and the world needs to start hearing genuinely great music again rather than being told very mediocre bands like "the Killers" are good. Personally, I think it would be great if they became huge.