Main Menu

Cover songs

Started by otter, Apr 24, 2003, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

otter

For those of you who have seen them often, what are the tunes they do live of other bands? Do they have any that they play regularly or just once in a while?

peanut butter puddin surprise

It kinda changes over time, really.  "Rocket Man" was a staple for a while, then "Hot Legs" (Rod Stewart) was a favorite (god does anyone have that recorded somewhere?), you've probably heard the Black Sabbath covers, and for a little while it was AC/DC covers, which was totally awesome.  India.Arie's "Tyrone" has also gotten the Jacket treatment...or is that Jacketized?  8)

All in all, MMJ are the kinda band that when they do covers, they make it their song, just for that performance, and again when they play it some other time...it's not like a cover band or karoke or some bad tribute album...it's an MMJ version of that particular song, which is not only totally flattering and an homage to the artist who created it in the first place, but also a piece of art in it's own right...

I can only hope that you too will know the glory of seeing MMJ perform one or more these chestnuts someday...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

marktwain

I've heard Jim do "up on Cripple Creek" by the Band a couple of times.

Also, Tyrone is by Erykah Badu.

peanut butter puddin surprise

oh yeah....you're right!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

madamwoo

how can we forget the derby show 2 years ago where they covered Jump by van halen and Dont stop believing by Journey

CC

Oz

Yeah, I guess we just have to check Ger's page for questions like that. His work is amazing! All hail that second best webmaster in the world...  ;D
I'm ready when you are

thelastbastard

I get chills looking at that list...Alot of songs I could see myself getting into..

BUT THE REAL QUESTION IS:

WHAT SONGS SHOULD THEY COVER???..

Also, does anyone know about MMJ covering a FooFighter's song, or vice versa?...

Gene
Gene Offcourse
The Last Bastards
MMJ RULES SON
Gangs and Government are no different..it makes me one percent..

Sleazy Rider

Alright everyone be honest even the shit your afraid to say outloud what should MMJ cover?

1. Telephone Line or Ma Ma Ma Belle  - ELO

2.While My Guitar Gently Weeps - My favorite Beatles tune.

3. Love is a Battlefield-Pat Benetar
Politics. It's a drag. They put one foot in the grave, and the other on The Flag.

tv eye

i would like to see covers of these songs:

archie bell : tighten up

radiohead :  you

nirvana : pennyroyal tea

grateful dead : cold rain and snow

BH

I am kind of new to this forum so this might be old news, but has anybody ever heard them do "Mother" by Pink Floyd live, or was it just a one time thing for "Darla has a treat for you"?  The recorded version is something I listen to on almost a daily basis and since it combines my two favorite bands, it's very special to me.  I would love to hear a live version.  Although, I would understand if they didn't do it live, it's not really a high energy song.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

The best cover I've heard MMJ do so far is Bob Dylan's 'Tonight I Will Stay Here With You' at Bonnaroo 2005. Amazing performance.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Easy Morning Rebel

QuoteThe best cover I've heard MMJ do so far is Bob Dylan's 'Tonight I Will Stay Here With You' at Bonnaroo 2005. Amazing performance.
Wow, I want to hear them do that song.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

MMJ_fanatic

I enjoyed hearing Jim on "Girl from the North Country" on the tour with M Ward and Bright Eyes.  I'd love to hear the whole band on that one.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.