so i just got 'it still moves'

Started by corduroy_blazer, Dec 26, 2005, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corduroy_blazer

and i think it's one of the best albums i've ever heard. i'm hooked.

dragonboy

You're not wrong there Clint!
Is ISM's the only MMJ album you have? You need to pick yourself up a copy of At Dawn next if you don't have it already.
That one's sure to "go ahead & make your day"  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wellfleet

everything sucks. really.

corduroy_blazer

QuoteYou're not wrong there Clint!
Is ISM's the only MMJ album you have? You need to pick yourself up a copy of At Dawn next if you don't have it already.
That one's sure to "go ahead & make your day"  ;)

yes, it's the only album i have, but a friend is giving me Z on thursday when we exchange. is that good route to go? i can always pick up at dawn first. it still moves i've had for like 3-4 days and it continually blows me away.

dragonboy

You can't go wrong with Z either.
Tennessee Fire is the only album of MMJ's that took me a while to get into.
At Dawn is my personal fav but I know a lot of people swear by TF. There are probably a lot of new fans who will always love Z the best.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Quotenow that's freakin' clever!

;)

corduroy_blazer

well eventually i'll have them all, but i am going to go with Z for now.

loper

You'd be better going with At Dawn.

Buzzard

Listen to At Dawn and then compare it to It Still Moves, then Tennessee Fire.  Avoid Z.
Once the first three have been sufficiently digested.
Have Z as the desert.
food comparisons
ISM- A Steak and all the fixins
At Dawn- Turkey Dinner
TF- Slow cooked favorite family recipe
Z- A light fluffy desert

tomEisenbraun

oh wow. i just bought It Still Moves today again. my old copy wore out. after two years (could it really be that long? it will be in january) it finally gave way and Steam Engine and One in the Same were scratched bad (which is unbearable. especially when the song runs FINE right up until "take your money and your dr-r-r-r-rug-ug-ug-ug-ugs-gs-gs")

so i'm delving in again, and it's beautiful. I think that, after all is said and done so far, this is the album that makes this band. At least for me. To the dude who started this thread, don't get Z so soon. Hold off on it. If you really love these guys, get to know this album word for word before you get anything else. It will make it that much better.

This album is exactly what it is in music that makes me want to be a musician. And I feel like such a crack-job musician for making nothing near this caliber yet.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

el duderino

I couldn't agree more Tom.  This happened to be the first album I stumbled upon and it did take more than a couple listens for me to "get it" but man am I glad I persevered. ;D  After I fell in love with this album in its entirety  the other albums have have been masterpieces from the first listen.

loper

By working hard to get into the complexity that is the awesome ISM's, it makes listening to everything else the band have done that much easier.

tomEisenbraun

Oh and byt he way. I think last night was the first time i listened to Easy Morning Rebel all the way through. I think it's the cowbell at the beginning and the thin guitar tone that had me avoid that song, so i'm going through the archive and getting live versions of it. The end is killah.

And i'm reeeeeeally enjoying Masterplan right now. The harmony on the chorus is so perfect.

rob

QuoteOh and byt he way. I think last night was the first time i listened to Easy Morning Rebel all the way through. I think it's the cowbell at the beginning and the thin guitar tone that had me avoid that song, so i'm going through the archive and getting live versions of it. The end is killah.

And i'm reeeeeeally enjoying Masterplan right now. The harmony on the chorus is so perfect.

Oh man.....you've not appreciated EMR til now? The hokey-ness is half the point......the horns......the slowed down part......and the vocals, of course. It took me awhile too, but I totally dig it now. I put this and Masterplan on a recent MMJ sampler for a friend......incredible, both.  8)
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

tomEisenbraun

haha, i know. i think it just never really clicked, but last night it finally did, so it's all good now.

corduroy_blazer

ok, maybe i should have listened to you guys. i'm not digging Z so much. there are 4-5 songs i do like, but there are songs like 'gideon' and a few of the early songs that i really don't like.

so...tennessee on fire? at dawn?

rob

Both.......At Dawn will probably please you a bit more. I like Gideon (lyrics mainly), but it does get dangerously close to U2 sound......scary.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

loper

Agreed. At Dawn bridges the gap between ISM and TTF :)

corduroy_blazer

i ended up getting neither, yet. i am starting to get into the album Z. it's a bit different, but some songs are really, really good. the only songs i dislike are 'into the woods' and 'gideon'.

i'd like to pick up at dawn soon.