Pitchfork Reviews?

Started by tdan, Feb 02, 2006, 04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tdan

Hey all!  I just stumbled across Pitchfork's reviews of 8 of MMJ's releases.  I am a little perplexed at their rated values.  I can only attribute these ratings to the different reviewers because I do not have all of these CDs yet.  I have all of them except "Chocolate and Ice", "Chapter 1", "Chapter 2", and "Split EP".  What puzzles me is that "Split EP" has the highest rating of all of their albums.  Is it really that good?  

I have $40 or so left on my iTunes account and have been trying to decide which of the remaining MMJ catalog I wanted to pick up.  I have been struggling inside to prevent myself from using my remaining credit on all MMJ.
Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

Angry Ewok

The Split EP is nice and all, but to give it a higher rating than any of their other albums is pretty weird. Way off, in fact. Namely because all of the songs on Split are also on the Sweatbees album, which you apparently already have...

I guess you could download "The Year In Review" (which isn't a song), and Ohia Translation (which isn't MMJ), and say you've already got the rest... without breaking your bank.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

dragonboy

Of all the MMJ releases The Split EP is the one I listen to the least.
Highest rated? I don't think you'll find anyone on the site who rates it as their best...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

i love the split EP, but no i dont think its my favourite at all.  the fact an awesome songs ohia song is on there adds to it, since i like them a lot.  

pitchfork has no idea what theyre talking about most of the time.  theyre a good resource to find out about new bands, but i dont value their opinion at all.  

sweatboard

I would say the best ep to get would be Chocolate and Ice.  
There's Still Time.........

Easy Morning Rebel

QuoteI would say the best ep to get would be Chocolate and Ice.  
agree about that.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

tdan

I thought something was a bit off about those ratings.  Either that or I was really missing out on something great  ;).  I don't have Sweatbees yet either.  I only named the releases which I didn't have from the Pitchfork reviews.  Chocolate and Ice was originally the one I was going for.  If for no other reason, Sooner is on that one.  Thanks for the opinions.
Until the end

Angry Ewok

Can't go wrong with either Chocolate and Ice or Sweatbees...

Hey, you're Mr. Moneybags... get both,  ;)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

dragonboy

I would say Chocolate & Ice over The Split EP but if you've not heard Rocket Man you've got to consider Chapter 1.
Sorry if that makes your decision more difficult  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

tdan

I've heard Rocket Man.  I liked it, but my personal favorite MMJ cover song would have to be Tyrone.  Love it!
Until the end

dragonboy

QuoteI liked it, but my personal favorite MMJ cover song would have to be Tyrone.

Nothing beats Jim covering Elvis Presley  8)

cmasters

Pitchforkmedia doesn't know everything...

as a matter of fact usually their reviews are complete shit. I trust real people's album ratings rather than robots. God damnit I hate pitchfork....

too bad I check it every day...  ;D

BH

I say get Chapter 2, if only just for Tyrone, Tonight I Want to Celebrate with you and Why Don't you love me?

The last two being some of the trippiest (word?) songs in the catalog
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

PapaJoeBear

I could not disagree more about the Split EP.  The 3 proper MMJ songs on the EP I think are the most solid string of MMJ songs on any album.  The variety of styles these songs represent are amazing!  If you dont have this EP get it right away!

PapaJoeBear

Jaimoe

I agree that the Split EP is really good. I think the Songs: Ohia tune, depending on my mood, is the best or second best track on the EP.

In many ways, Jason Molina is a kindred spirit to Jim James.

ratsprayer

QuoteI agree that the Split EP is really good. I think the Songs: Ohia tune, depending on my mood, is the best or second best track on the EP.

In many ways, Jason Molina is a kindred spirit to Jim James.

jason has been around longer and written loads more songs, wouldnt it be the other way around?   ;)

i agree, the songs ohia track is outstanding.  i like the split EP just as much as chocolate and ice.  

PapaJoeBear

I really don't care for the Songs :Ohia song.  But then again I never really cared much for any of their stuff. Seems much more of a kindred spirit to Will Oldham then Jim James. In fact, to me it sounds like he's straight rippin' off Will's vocal style.  But, to each their own I guess.

PapaJoeBear

Jaimoe

QuoteI really don't care for the Songs :Ohia song.  But then again I never really cared much for any of their stuff. Seems much more of a kindred spirit to Will Oldham then Jim James. In fact, to me it sounds like he's straight rippin' off Will's vocal style.  But, to each their own I guess.

PapaJoeBear

That's assuming Will created the dark, moody vocal style.

Kindred in the sense of being musically spirital, unusually prolific, embraces acoustic music, youngish, American folk influences, emotive voice etc....

PapaJoeBear

Yeah but that Jason cat uses the same kind of voice, not just the same style of music.  You have to admit the Will's voice was very unique in its warbly uncertainty.  Jason seems to be copying Will's vocal delievery.  I mean, it works.  Will Oldhams's got a huge following; alot of his fans also dig Songs Ohia.  I'm just not one of them.

PapaJoeBear

ratsprayer

id say will oldham and jason molina are very simliar, but jason's stuff is much more drawn out.  i think in some senses its harder to get in to, but personally theres a lot of will oldham / bonnie prince billy, etc etc that i dont like.  except for the new magnolia electric co. album WHAT COMES AFTER THE BLUES, i really love all songs ohia's stuff.