Another instrument question....

Started by Nomad, Feb 18, 2006, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

Can anyone tell me what the name of the piece of equipment is that all the band members are seen individually using on their videos of their performances on KCRW: Morning Becomes Eclectic (http://kcrw.com/smil/mb051110My_Morning_Jacket.ram) and also on Austin City Limits? It's a little box on a stand in front of each member. On the videos of KCRW: Morning Becomes Eclectic, their individual headphones are plugged into it. I thought it might be the radio station's equipment but Jim also used the box on Austin City Limits. I'm just curious. Monitoring device? Sound effect device? Anyone know?

tomEisenbraun

yeah, it's just a monitor. i'm assuming they're jsut tweaking it to get all the levels where they need them in order to hear everything in the way they need to.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Nomad

Hey, thanks for the responses. But the above picture is definitely not what they were using. I'm aware of what a headphone mixer looks like but their units have over 35 knobs. I tried to capture a photo from RealPlayer of their KCRW: Morning Becomes Eclectic performance but it wouldn't allow me to. So I snapped a photo with my camera which is pretty poor quality, but now you have an idea of what I'm asking about. Thanks again for any help.

corey

That may just be something that was at the radio station.

Nomad

Nomad

Yeah, I thought too that it might be the radio station's but they were also used on Austin City Limits.

Nomad

I still don't know what it is, but for some strange reason... I have a stong desire to get one.  ;D  

Larry Kurtz

it was definitely a headphone mixer box...

there is a similar older model that's white/grey - probably what was used for the KCRW session.

Nomad

Yeah, it looks like you're right. Very cool. Thanks for the info and help. Those have a lot more control than than ones I'm used to. Thanks.

Nomad

I just realized something though, if it truely is a headphone mixer that they were using, then why were they also used on Austin City Limits where there were no headphones being used? I'm having my doubts now that that's what the units are.