The Writing Process

Started by SiouxTribe, Feb 19, 2006, 11:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiOuxTribe

I noticed Jim has the writing credits to most if not all of their songs except for Off the Record.  Does anyone know how the writing process goes?  Does Jim write the actual bass/drum/keyboard parts himself or does he just give musical freedom to the guys but gives them an idea of what to do?
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

EC

I think I remember reading something, or it might have even been on the sneaky peek at z which is in the streams section, where jim james writes the stuff and then does demo versions with loose other parts, and then the other dudes build their parts from there.  

primushead

QuoteI think I remember reading something, or it might have even been on the sneaky peek at z which is in the streams section, where jim james writes the stuff and then does demo versions with loose other parts, and then the other dudes build their parts from there.  

I remember seein that somewhere too.   I think that's what alot of frontmen do, too.  Write the lyrics, get a prototype guitar part out, and let the band add from there.

tomEisenbraun

yeah, i think the way it works, is he gets the idea of the song, with the shape and everything down, and the guys fill in parts, but he does the actual writing. like they all come up with parts, but he actually sets up the whole shape of it, so he gets the writing credit. i would assume tommy and patrick actually had part in the shaping of the outro of off the record so that's why they got writing credit.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.