Jim James & Kermit The Frog

Started by sweatboard, Feb 14, 2006, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

Ok, so my wife and I were watching the acl performance and like halfway through Golden she says "Jim sounds like Kermit the frog"  I got really defensive and was like "No he doesn't"  but for the rest of the song I was thinking "shit, he does sound like Kermit the Frog"  I hope that's not all I think of from now on when I hear Golden.  We'll the rest of the set made me quickly forget all this.  Until, this morning when I was looking at the Pearl Jam message board and two people mentioned that he sounded like Kermit, specificaly on the song Golden.  Did anyone else notice this?  I'm kind of worried because when people talk about the Kings of Leon the first thing they say is "yeah that guy sounds like Elmer Fudd"  Was it just the acl version of Golden or does he sound like Kermit all the time on that song, and I just never noticed it?    
There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

Odd

My wife always said Jim and the boys had a "Muppetesque" quality to them. She said it comes out vocally when Jim gives the line about crawling to the moon in Anytime, the way he says the moon. Maybe it's a woman thing?

I once dated a white, red haired woman with a body like a black woman's,  who said my voice sounded like a muppet's. She said it was cute.

Jim has always said he was influenced by The Muppet Show, 'specially Dr. Teeth. You know, once you think about it, is the whole band nothing more than a re-creation of Dr Teeth and The Electric Mayhem? I mean, the instruments don't match up perfectly, but look 'uh here. That's Jim on the left (Dr Teeth), definently Patrick (Animal) on drums, Carl is Zoot (got the sax out for DonDante)...and you'll just have to use your imagination for Tommy and Bo (Sgt. Floyd Pepper is a left handed bass player and Janice is a woman...).

Jon T.

Funny you should mention this. I was driving around with my brother listening to either Acoustic Citsuoca or the latest show in Louisville.  Anyway, he says, "who the fuck is this Kermit the Frog?"  I thought it was kind of funny but I didn't pay much mind considering his taste in music.  His favorites are Bon Jovi, old Will Smith, and Weird AL.  In fact, if he would have liked MMJ I would have been worried.  So, I guess that perhaps during live performances he's got a little frog in him.  But, who doesn't like Kermit the Frog???

ellisintransit

Oh sweet lord.....I'm glad I'm not alone.  Hehe.  Honestly, Acoustic Citsuoca was what did it for me.  It's not particularly annoying to me in any way, but sometimes when I hear it, I can't help but sing that way myself.

And hell yeah....how can you NOT like Kermit?  Maybe one day MMJ can hook up with the Muppet creators and have a My Muppet Jacket show.  Couldn't you see Animal as Patrick.  AWESOME!

tomEisenbraun

haha, i think Golden is where it does come through the most, right in the chorus with those high notes, but it's definitely a good thing.

i remember thinking when i first got ISM that he got little kermit-y at a spot or two, but i think it made me love em more.

:)
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

slimsloslider

i think it all makes sense. jim has cited the muppets as a major influence from day one. i'd say his voice is definitely more musical than jim henson's, but there are certainly similarities.
i recently bought season one of the muppet show. some very funny stuff.
http://www.muppetcentral.com/guides/episodes/tms/season1/index.shtml

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0009ULBGS/muppetcentral/104-2499945-6127965

whothrewthecake

kermit singing the rainbow connection with his banjo in the swamp will make me cry to this day.

SF_NC

I got Muppet Show Season 1 for Christmas.  Definitely good stuff.

dragonboy

The first article I read on MMJ (Mojo magazine a few years ago just after At Dawn came out) said they were big fans of The Muppets. This gabbed my attention & the rest, as they say, is history.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMillionDreams

I've always thought he sounded llike Kermit.  Like a combination of Kermit and Van Morrison.  That's one comparsion that I think he doesn't mind hearing.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Dee.

And hell yeah....how can you NOT like Kermit?
Definitely NOT POSSIBLE.  

Scrolling through the artist list on my iPod the other day I noticed that it goes Jim Henson ----> Jim James.  And then, The Muppets ----> My Morning Jacket.

Coincidence?  I think not.  ;)

primushead

Yeah...he does kinda sound like Kermit...but then...is there anyone on the planet who doesn't like Kermit?  He's one of the most loveable puppets of all time.  I would consider it an extreme compliment if someone said that I sounded like Kermit.  
We could always test Jim's take on it by holding up "Free Kermit" signs at the next show. :)

whitepepper

Rainbow Connection is one of Jim's favorite songs.

sweatboard

QuoteRainbow Connection is one of Jim's favorite songs.

I asked him to play it at bonnaroo this year.  Obviously it didn't work out, but it would have been awesome.
There's Still Time.........

sonysucksdonkeydic

The first time I listened to Z with my girlfriend, who loves MMJ, she pointed out that Jim James sounds like Kermy on Off The Record.  Defianately not a diss, KTF's an icon.  And lest we forget, probably the only muppet that was gettin any...

marktwain

I saw Kermit in a commercial the other night.  He's a sell-out.  (at least he's not selling frog legs for Doc Hopper yet).

primushead

QuoteI saw Kermit in a commercial the other night.  He's a sell-out.  (at least he's not selling frog legs for Doc Hopper yet).

Yeah, he lost most of his artistic drive after boozing it year after year in the studio.  

You gots to pay da billz!

sideroad32

Kermit and Jim (or Jim and Jim) singing together on the Muppet show would have been gold but alas it will never come to pass.

fitzcarraldo

QuoteOk, so my wife and I were watching the acl performance and like halfway through Golden she says "Jim sounds like Kermit the frog"    

Ha, we had a party over my apartment after the bar closed Saturday night and I put on MMJ on ACL. This girl said the same thing and then wanted to know everything about the band.  :)
Ha ha, we had a nice, long talk about good music especially MMJ after that. Kermit can't be a bad influence.