Jim James wins an ESKY (Esquire Mag)

Started by painted8, Mar 06, 2006, 06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painted8

for Best Songwriter

"Almost three years ago, MMJ put out a record, It Still Moves, in which lead singer and primary songwiter JJ sung all his vocals inside a grain silo, sounding as if he were singing from the depths of outer space. To this day, you will not hear a country or rock record like it. The band's 2005 follow-up, Z, lacked the grain silo but instead showed a love of slinky grooves, which James has attributed to a recent appreciation for hip-hop. Z turned out to be even better than its predecessor. That's because Jame's song, no matter their tempp or mood, sound like the sugarcoated pill of apocalypse. They are haunting, groovy, and memorable.

Jim accepts the Esky: "Thank you so much, peoples. I'd like to dedicate this award to my dear old Kentucky home in honor of the new Esquire-KEntucky pipeline introduced subliminally to the world by our fine award statue's initials: ESKY, meaning 'Esquire loves Kentucky!" Representing this love is a true honor for me. Thank yins."

Jim is pictured with his ESKY.

MMJ_fanatic

This totally rocks.  I love the ever broadening attention and accolades the guys are garnering with their tasty craft 8)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

dragonboy

I was thinking the same thing. Any press is good press & a Best Songwriter award is something to be very proud of.
Esquire is a pretty stylish men's magazine, no? I've never read it - I'm a GQ man myself  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wellfleet

esquire is a solid mag through and through, although i'm partial to GQ myself. i'll read the trashy girl mags for fashion stuff but for meaty articles, i love GQ. sometimes i find that some women's magazines treat their readers like they're 8 whereas GQ doesn't condescend like that.

i'm glad Jim is getting the accolades, he's an artist. but let's not forget the huge contribution of the rest of the band. sometimes i feel like they're somehow lost in the shuffle a bit because Jim's mojo is so awesome... but they're like Crazy Horse... they're the wind beneath his wings...

(i heart the jacket... yey MMJ)
everything sucks. really.