Anyone heard strangulation from pre-order?

Started by Nikkogino, Aug 24, 2006, 08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I am not going to preorder because I want the cd right away and paying 20 for the cd + 14 in shipping is way more expensive that going to the record store on Tuesday morning.  So I won't be getting the free download.  Anyway, for someone who has preordered, how is the track?  Anything new, or does it sound pretty normal?

sideroad32

I got it.  
The track itself is really quite amazing, and in my opinion should be on the album itself.  very beautiful.  Worth getting the preorder.

But I do have a gripe...  the audio quality is crap.  It sounds bad.  A beautiful performance is brought down by crappy sounding mp3.  
I wish they would let us choose some different quality MP3s, or even other formats...  128 mp3s just suck.

the track though. oooo boy its good.

so can anyone get word to the powers that be that we won't stand for crap sounding mp3s?

Angry Ewok

The audio quality is bad in what way, exactly?

Too much crowd noise? Sounds like it was ripped from a streaming WAV? Has alot of digital 'glitchy' noises, sounds like a washcloth was draped over the microphone?

I'm curious about that... and why isn't it on the album, anyway? Is it on the DVD?

Sorry to have nothing but questions.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Nikkogino

I'm curious about that... and why isn't it on the album, anyway? Is it on the DVD?

Sorry to have nothing but questions.

We don't know yet.  They took 21 songs from those 2 nights and put them on the album.  There are still a bunch left that didn't make the cd.  Knowing how the band loves pleasing its fans, I am sure they will put some of the songs not on the album and put them on the dvd.  

Nikkogino

fitzcarraldo

Tom Waits did it with Big Time, so I'm hoping MMJ will do the same.

sideroad32

QuoteThe audio quality is bad in what way, exactly?

Too much crowd noise? Sounds like it was ripped from a streaming WAV? Has alot of digital 'glitchy' noises, sounds like a washcloth was draped over the microphone?

out of those i guess just the glicthy digital thing.  Maybe I'm too picky but to me songs converted to 128 mp3 just sound bad..
they get a bad kind of digital sizzle on the highs (cymbals and such) and just don't sound that good.  Especially compared to the other tracks...

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I just downloaded it last night and have listened to it 10 times.  I don't know what you guys are talking about. the sound production is excellent. Good seperation in the mix and very articulate. Carls' slide guitar is at the front loud and clear and it drops off very well to the soft verse of Jim and his acoustic guitar.  I was there for  both nights of this performance and this recording is better than it sounded live.  of course being there was better. I think they should record a live album there every year.
I will be there when you die!

corey

I don't think anyone is downplaying the recording, just the quality of the "Strangulation" mp3 since it's at 128 kbps.

tomEisenbraun

so i'm assuming this is one of the bonus tracks from the LP... ;)

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

sideroad32

QuoteI don't think anyone is downplaying the recording, just the quality of the "Strangulation" mp3 since it's at 128 kbps.

Definately.  The sound mix is amazing.  Everything is mixed perfectly and the track is beautiful.

It just has that lousy mp3 added skank on top of the beauty...

Put it through a big stereo system where you can hear the full range.  listen to the cymbals especially.  they'll sound harsh/crackly and like they have a bad pahse effect on them.  not how they should sound.

ycartrob

does anyone know what the bonus track will be if you pre-order Okonokos?

(and no funny business, just a straight answer)

Nikkogino

Quotedoes anyone know what the bonus track will be if you pre-order Okonokos?

(and no funny business, just a straight answer)

ummmmmmmmm....strangulation (i hope you are joking considering that is the title of the thread)