My Anikulapo Jacket

Started by DJ_Poops, Sep 04, 2006, 09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pingybrown

http://phoniusbolonius.blogspot.com/2006/08/my-anikulapo-jacket.html

My Morning Jacket must have got wind of my imminent attendance at one of their shows... cos once again (this is the 3rd time) they cancelled a show I had tickets for.

In the last week I had actually been getting excited in anticipation. What had fueled this uncharacteristic animation was a bootleg of My Morning Jacket's performance at this year's Bonnaroo festival. Specifically, their performance of Dondante. On record Dondante is fairly long and has an even longer slow fade out. Live, Dondante stretches longer still, in this case 14 mins or so.

When I first heard this version over a week ago, I thought there had been some mistake. What I was hearing was a Fela Anikulapo-Kuti song right? I fast-forwarded through, this is definitely a Fela Kuti number, was Femi Kuti playing at Bonnaroo? But then Jim James vocals began floating out of the speakers, skipping over the shuffling beat. I was in heaven.

The signs have been there for a while that My Morning Jacket were more than just a rock band in thrall to the likes of Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Lynyrd Skynyrd and others. The last album, Z, began to reveal a more eclectic band than their widely acclaimed It Still Moves and this performance sees the band in full flower.

So, you can see, I was very excited for the gig and they had to go cancel. Damn them. (A close family member of one of the band died so, obviously, I can't really hold a grudge).

Dondante live at Bonnaroo mp3 by My Morning Jacket

Trouble Sleep Yanga Wake Am mp3 by Fela Kuti

This is the tune that My Morning Jacket knit into Dondante so seamlessly. A typically great, slow Fela Kuti groove about the limit of human endurance from one of my favorite Fela albums, Roforofo Fight

My Morning Jacket release live album, Okonokos, in late september. Sadly, no Fela/Jacket hybrids included.

corey

Can these people not find more current photos of the band? There was another article recently that featured Danny and Johnny.

tomEisenbraun

haha, that's awesome. always sucks when fans have to miss out, but they will surely make up for it.

and it's awesome to finally have that full length fela kuti track.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.