To Jam or not to Jam?

Started by ChiefCrowe, Sep 12, 2006, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiefOKONO

I would love it if they went off a bit more on some of their songs and explored some new jams. I recently have been listening to war begun from an 04 show and its wonderful.. i think some of their best live moments are jammy.

What do you guys think?  

BH

I agree Chief.  Although, apparently the critics would like less noodling.  Which makes me agree all the more with you.  The War Begun you speak of is spectacular.  

Has anyone ever heard a long version of Wonderful Man?  I thought somebody mentioned it once.   Does anyone know any examples of other MMJ live gems with long jams that don't typically have long jams?  If that makes any friggin' sence.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

DuDess

She sells sea-shells at the sea-shore, at the sea-shore she sells sea-shells  :P

tomEisenbraun

alls i know is Off The Record, Lay Low, and Dondante are why i can't turn my head for a couple of days after seeing these guys live.

That and when they play "Loving Cup" by the Stones and turn it into frickin "Easy Morning Rebel". Holy shit.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

JacketGal

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

TEO

They are so ready to Jam! Carl can go off like nobody's business, so let him go.
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ChiefOKONO

i dig your math skills jacketgirl!   you are so right on !!   :D

QuoteJam + MMJ = bliss ;D

Ghosts_on_TV

Quotealls i know is Off The Record, Lay Low, and Dondante are why i can't turn my head for a couple of days after seeing these guys live.

That and when they play "Loving Cup" by the Stones and turn it into frickin "Easy Morning Rebel". Holy shit.

Loving Cup>>>Easy Morning Rebel is awesome. Bring on the jam, I say!
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

aMD

I think they should stick to what they do.  I don't mind when they extend the endings of songs and "Jam" a bit.  But I think it's better when it's a rehearsed, well-thought out "jam" like the dual guitar solo at the end of Laylow.  but that's just me.

corey

QuoteI think they should stick to what they do.  I don't mind when they extend the endings of songs and "Jam" a bit.  But I think it's better when it's a rehearsed, well-thought out "jam" like the dual guitar solo at the end of Laylow.  but that's just me.

No, it's not just you. I'm with you on this one. Also, I don't necessarily think what MMJ does is "jamming". When I think of "Jamming", I think of a song that goes verse-chorus-verse-20 minute instrumental-chorus. "Jamming", to me, is also when no one knows what the hell is coming next musically. While I can see the talent in that kind of "jamming", it gets boring as shit really fucking fast.

MMJ might take part of Don Dante and go off on it for a little while than is on the record, but it's all more or less in the same riff(s). I don't really classify that as jamming.

dragonboy

I'm with aMD & Corey. The boys sound so tight live. I fear that some of that would be lost if they started jamming. The 'rehearsed' jams are amazing (I LOVE the big dual guitar finish they used to put at the end of OBH)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Ghosts_on_TV

Well...yeah, I wouldn't want them to go into some half hour guitar solo that goes nowhere...but it would be cool to see some more extended intros/outros on some songs and maybe change them up every once and a while. And I think we are going to see that more and more, which I think is pretty cool.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I agree;  Constructed jams are the way to go. Reconstructed jams are the way to go.  When these guys get together and open it up in reheasals they can refine it to the esssence of what that moment gave them.  It also helps the band from getting bored.  I personally love when I hear new phrasing of solos, added breakdowns, harmonies,  intros and covers. the unexpected keeps their true fans in sweet anticipation.  Most bands won't give that much to their fans.  We are lucky indeed.
I will be there when you die!