Gear Question - Reverb

Started by cmccubbin25, May 20, 2006, 01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccubbin25

Does anybody know what type of reverb pedal/effects Jim uses on his guitar?

(Also...any recommendations for a good reverb pedal in the $50-100 price range?)
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.

banjohead

get The Holy Grail of Reverb, it is flippin' sweet. It should cost you about $100. I am not sure what Jim uses, but I do know that this sucker is really good for reverb.

Dee.

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this, so I thought to tack it onto some reverb chat....

Neko mentions the Jacket in this interview at about 17 minutes in when she is discussing her love of reverb.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5568504

:)

tomEisenbraun

Mesa Boogies are actually quite renowned for their spring reverbs. Jeff Buckley swore by em, an you can hear how beautiful they can sound when cranked to 11 played clean on songs like "Lilac Wine" off of Mystery White Boy (the live album). He gets the guitar to sound almost like an accordian with that much reverb on.

Takin that into note, I would think that, since the guys are using MesaBoogies Dual Recs (with Carl on a Lonestar, but still very similar), they ought to be alright in the reverb department with just the amps.

Jim might use a Boss RV-5 (i think thats the model number) if he needs a reverb boost. I haven't actually seen pics, but these are kind of an industry staple for an effects loop.

I could also be just talking out my ass, seeing as I have no up close and personal knowledge of their rigs.

The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

DD

i dont recall seeing a reverb pedal on jims board but it was at least a couple of years ago the last time i saw it.  id go with the previous post and assume they use the reverb in the amps.
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

EC

you guys are all wrong.  every show they bring a giant cave which they put under the stage.  in that cave is the real amp.  the one on stage is pretend.  you know, "for show".  when the reverb is required, there's a foot pedal that looks like a reverb pedal, but it actually is a mic switch to use the mic'd cave amp.

they use it for vocals, too.  the plate you think they bring everywhere?  nope.  pretend.  

i'm probably going to get in really big trouble for spilling the beans, but i just think secrets like that shouldn't be kept from the world.

tomEisenbraun

dammit Meg. i at least tried to be subtle. mislead em a little.

way to blow the whole shebang on em.

have you actually gotten to see the hollowed out mountain they use for the studio recordings?

EC

Quotedammit Meg. i at least tried to be subtle. mislead em a little.

way to blow the whole shebang on em.

have you actually gotten to see the hollowed out mountain they use for the studio recordings?

who do you think hollowed it out?  you guys are hilarious - you think that these listening parties are free?  expect your pickaxes in the mail alongside your okonokos cds.  

tom, i believe in honesty.  there's no point in blindfolding the world, the people need to know how things really work.  call me crazy, but i believe the people can take it.

tomEisenbraun

Meg the world may need it, but I don't think they're prepared for it. You know, like how my parents til I was at least seven to show me what sex was.

dwight

Right - O
Jim's got a Mesa Tremoverb that's got awesome reverb built in. He rarely engages his Boss Reverb pedal which he has on his board.

Chico

QuoteI didn't want to start a separate thread for this, so I thought to tack it onto some reverb chat....

Neko mentions the Jacket in this interview at about 17 minutes in when she is discussing her love of reverb.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5568504

:)

Thanks Deanna!  That Neko Case link is great!  I highly recommend anyone to give a listen to the whole show.