Jim's voice on Okonokos

Started by painted8, Sep 26, 2006, 09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

painted8

Sounds a bit strained at times, which isn't surprising considering the health problems he had begun to have. I was worried that the CD and DVD not being released depending on the quality of Jim's vox. Glad they have been/will be, but I wonder if any consideration was given to "fix" the live vox later on? Not that I consider them a bit problem, but they are understandably not up to Jim's usual greatness and I'd hate a newbie hearing this for the first time would not get the right impression.

No stone-throwing, please! :)

realdeal

I agree. During that strech of time, i noticed that Jim's vocals were a little raspy and he couldn't hit those high notes that he usually nails. Especially the show at the Palace in Louisville last year, he was singing a bit lower and his vox seemed strained like he was holding back. Im guessing that was due to his illness.

doEVILslittle

ChiefOKONO

i only noticed that voice strain on a couple songs or so, so its not a big deal to me....

overall this album RULES!

Angry Ewok

Call me crazy, but when Jim's voice cracks from time to time, it feels alot more sincere to me... he's singing his heart out, so I never cringe at these moments, really.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteCall me crazy, but when Jim's voice cracks from time to time, it feels alot more sincere to me... he's singing his heart out, so I never cringe at these moments, really.

Crazy....
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

suebeeboo

I think Jim James' voice is the most beautiful instrument I've ever heard in my life.  Absolutely unbelievable.

After I saw them last May at the United Center (and I can't freaking wait for them to come back to Chicago to the Riv!) I was DONE FOR!  I have purchased every cd and they are all I've been listening to for the last 5 months!  Maybe this is insane, but of all the new "music" I've heard, this band is right up there with Zeppelin and Hendrix for me!!  The music for me is totally innovative, passionate and sensual.  I absolutely LOVE it!  I'm SO thankful, SO grateful for this music!  It's amazing how people are moved by their music.  That is so rare - that's like hearing Hendrix play Hear My Train A Comin on acoustic 12 string for the first time - there ain't NOTHIN you can say!  You're just BLOWN AWAY!

Sorry for this Ramblin Rose diatribe, but I've been soooo longing to see them again and November 24th is just a little too far away...
other times I can barely see

marino13

QuoteI think Jim James' voice is the most beautiful instrument I've ever heard in my life.  Absolutely unbelievable.

After I saw them last May at the United Center (and I can't freaking wait for them to come back to Chicago to the Riv!) I was DONE FOR!  I have purchased every cd and they are all I've been listening to for the last 5 months!  Maybe this is insane, but of all the new "music" I've heard, this band is right up there with Zeppelin and Hendrix for me!!  The music for me is totally innovative, passionate and sensual.  I absolutely LOVE it!  I'm SO thankful, SO grateful for this music!  It's amazing how people are moved by their music.  That is so rare - that's like hearing Hendrix play Hear My Train A Comin on acoustic 12 string for the first time - there ain't NOTHIN you can say!  You're just BLOWN AWAY!

Sorry for this Ramblin Rose diatribe, but I've been soooo longing to see them again and November 24th is just a little too far away...

No need to apologize, I think it's awesome and I feel the same way.  It's hard to explain to others.  I'm going to the Riv show also and I'm going to drag 3 friends with me that have no clue what is going to hit them.  I can't wait!!!

Tore

QuoteCall me crazy, but when Jim's voice cracks from time to time, it feels alot more sincere to me... he's singing his heart out, so I never cringe at these moments, really.

I couldn't agree more! A liveperformance should not be too perfect,, thats what we have studioalbums for. It should be colored with passion. And this one is.

leafygreens

Call me crazy, but I think his voice is right on for the majority of the show.

Using my musically trained ears, I hear most notes sung perfectly in tune (check out the entire The Way That He Sings!). Although it's no surprise, because this is true of the majority of their live tracks I have heard.  

And a lot of times the phrasing is in tact - notice how he holds out those lines in Magheetah.  

It seems that if his voice is ever off a little, it's usually always sharp.  And it's my own theory that singing or playing  a note sharp doesn't sound as wrong as it being flat  -thus, his voice usually always sound right.  If that makes sense...

I think realdeal's right about the Palace show's vocals being affected (I was there, too and have the live tracks), but not the Okonokos show so much.  Go back and listen to the Palace recordings, and you'll notice serious, noticeable difference between those vocals and these.

red

He sounds angry as hell on One Big Holiday, and I bloody love it.

Jellyfish

That is exactly how I feel as well.I think his voice sounds great on the live CD.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

suebeeboo

he sounds so beautiful on one in the same........and though it was always was mine...it always seemed new to me.........OMG how do i love thee, let me count the ways.... beautiful, sensual, incredible............Jim's voice is an angelic instrument......peace & love
other times I can barely see

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

ycartrob

I heard a great interview with a female country music star (can't remember who) and she was talking about why Patsy Cline's music was so great and timeless. She talked about the beautiful humaness and creativity of imperfection on Patsy's recordings that created a feeling that you were there. There was a real human component and most songs were done in 1 or 2 takes. She went on to say that Nashville has ruined that feeling by trying to "perfect" music through the over production and digitalizing of human emotion and creativity.

IMO, silence is the only "perfect" sound and is the sound of God.

Another thought. I love Neil Young. I love on Mirror Ball (with Pearl Jam) when the album starts off and Neil says to the boys, "No tuning, nothing man just..." and then they begin.

It is what it is.

BH

QuoteI heard a great interview with a female country music star (can't remember who) and she was talking about why Patsy Cline's music was so great and timeless. She talked about the beautiful humaness and creativity of imperfection on Patsy's recordings that created a feeling that you were there. There was a real human component and most songs were done in 1 or 2 takes. She went on to say that Nashville has ruined that feeling by trying to "perfect" music through the over production and digitalizing of human emotion and creativity.

IMO, silence is the only "perfect" sound and is the sound of God.

Another thought. I love Neil Young. I love on Mirror Ball (with Pearl Jam) when the album starts off and Neil says to the boys, "No tuning, nothing man just..." and then they begin.

It is what it is.

Well said Tracy.  I agree 100%.  (Just got mirrorball myself.  I knew it was PJ but I couldn't find any reference at all to them in the sleeve.  Maybe I should look harder.)

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Loaded_Question

Jim's voice isn't "Jim-esque" all the time on OKONOKOS, but I'm not looking for a CD of a bunch of their songs sounding perfectly. That's why I have all the studio albums. Jim's voice (especially on "Run Thru") has a lot of raw enegry which is great for a live album. And besides, most of the time on OKONOKOS his voice is at its melodic greateness (listen to "Dondante" or "I will Sing you Songs").