What's the deal with Lowdown

Started by mcloo7, Nov 04, 2006, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcloo7

So, I just learned how to play this song on the guitar and in doing so read the actual lyrics. I always thought of it as a western song because of the title, but now realize that I was thinking that because lowdown makes me think of ho-down. But lowdown is really kind of urban slang. I also noticed the use of the word "dawg" throughout the song. It's almost like they're making fun of rap. I think this is truly an awesome song, and all of these subtle layers make the song even more mysterious to me. Does anyone have a take on the meaning of Lowdown?

ultravisitor

Making fun of rap?  Interesting.

FYI, Jim James really likes hip hop.

tomEisenbraun

Lowdown is a song about true love, and what it does and does not consist of.

And as simple as it sounds, i think it is easily my favorite love song.

"you only gotta dance with me..."

there's somehting so beautiful in the innocence of the way Jim writes some of his songs. it's the kind of thing where he says probably far less than could be said, but it's the kind of thing where he captures the beauty of saying only as much as he needs to, maybe even a little less. it's so simple, and i think it catches that simple beauty of love so well. i want this song somewhere in my wedding one day.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Jellyfish

It could have been their big hit,very radio friendly.

QuoteLowdown is a song about true love, and what it does and does not consist of.  

I get that too.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

JohnnyRage

Lowdown on Okonokos rocks the hizzzouse.
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

mcloo7

I just remembered the other hip hop aspect of lowdown: "sho-nuf."

"sho nuf mood for romancing"

so love-dawg can't you see, that you never gotta fight with me."

This song kicks balls.

ultravisitor

I'd say that "dawg" and "sho nuf" are probably more Southern colloquialisms than words taken from hip hop.