Patrick Owns Okonokos!!

Started by LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK, Nov 03, 2006, 12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

There's devil in them drums.  I have never heard a band in lockstep  with their drummer as these guys are.   THe dynamics are exquisite.  

I was at both these shows and I can say the sound on the DVD is so much more amazing than the venue I can't believe it.  

Dondonte into Run THru could be legendary footage.

I will be going back this NYE dressed as Z

See you there!!
I will be there when you die!

Angry Ewok

So you're the Z man?! I spotted you several times throughout the DVD... very cool, I wish I could have been there with you guys... I'd love the chance to dress up.

Oh, and as far as Patrick goes... his work on the drums is pure art, in my opinion. I love the intensity that he puts into every single song.

The little hand signal routine he does is awesome, as well!

8)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

sweatboard

I kept waiting for his drum kit to explode.  It's as if his kit becomes Alive while he's playing it.  You've heard of people giving thier guitars names.....like betsy, ole blue, etc.  I'm willing to bet Patricks drum kit has a name........GODZILLA!!
There's Still Time.........

Jellyfish

Patrick might be the best drummer I have ever seen.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

MMJ_fanatic

Yeah a couple times I swear I thought the drum kit was gonna surrender and just fall to pieces on the stage :D
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Loaded_Question

The part after Steam Engine.......holy crap. That's some intense drum soloing.

SiOuxTribe

I love Patrick to death, but I was dissapointed to see that he doesn't play the continuous hi-hat part on Lay Low, its a pre-recorded sound that Bo probably runs, more than likely used like a click-track  I noticed that after watching live Okonokos when I still heard the hi-hat going during the chorus when he switches to his ride, and sho-nuf when he plays that verse that hi-hat is sitting still!
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

tomEisenbraun

dude, the whole drum track is precorded until the solos. he fills in all over the place on it, though. i'm not disappointed.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

dragonboy

The intro to OBH with made smile with a tear in my eye!
Like Fanatic said, I really don't know how that kit stays together! I also agree with Jellyfish, Patrick is hands down the best drummer I've ever seen.
Like the rest of the guys, he is a living legend  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

deedrummer

"I was dissapointed to see that he doesn't play the continuous hi-hat part on Lay Low, its a pre-recorded sound that Bo probably runs, more than likely used like a click-track "

Actually, If you watch the making of Z on this homepage you'll see that part is actually Patrick's recorded perfomance.

So, he's playing along to his own drums. I think the way the beat is, its meant to be throbbing and looping like that. So when they get to the jam part, and the actual drums kick in it's very cool.

There's a lot of pre-recorded vocal stuff too. I'm still on the fence as to how I feel about all that.

Dee

SiOuxTribe

Yeah I saw that little Z press kit and I know he plays the drums on it, but I would feel much better if he actually played it live.
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

BH

I don't understand how anyone can witness the amazing talent on display on the stage and then get upset over a few added prerecorded or looped parts.  This isn't fucking Milli Vanilli.  Maybe some day MMJ will have enough money to hire a touring second drummer and choir to do these parts like Pink Floyd does but until then I am fine with it.  I think Roger Waters still plays lots of pre-recorded stuff including the kid choir on Another Brick In The Wall instead of hauling around 30 grade schoolers on his tour bus.  Maybe the new stem cell initiative we just passed here in Missouri will help to develop technology that will some day allow Patrick to grow two additional arms but until then, even he, has his limitations.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SiOuxTribe

30 children to haul around isnt anywhere near as bad as just playing one simple drumbeat for the verse.  
It seems this is taking a turn for the worse where it sounds like im trying to bash Patrick and have no respect for him at all as a drummer.  It's the complete opposite of that, just to make that clear now.  I love Patrick, and this one little incident doesnt even make me change my mind on his jaw-dropping abilities and talent, and shouldn't make me less of a fan or blind me from experiencing his magic.
I respect that musicians do what you do to achieve that right sound, but the only purpose of my first comment is I was taken by surprise that he was never even playing that part live in the first place and a haze of dissapointment came over me.  Nothing against Patrick, not even accusing them of 'lip syncing' or Milli Vanilli.  I really don't see what there really is to argue/fight about anyway.   We can all get in a silly fight about it, but who wants that?  MMJ stands for love, but I don't think Patrick will stand for bullshit. He's got big muscles.
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

BH

I wasn't aiming my post at you, but I can now see why you would think that.  I really just started thinking of those old threads and got a little defensive a little too quick. Sorry.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

SiOuxTribe

ah no worries,  thats what i hate about online and typing, you can never judge things correctly and how the tone of the message is and the aim of it all. peace be with us all!
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis