Year End Lists

Started by LaurieBlue, Dec 11, 2006, 07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/article/tv%20on%20the%20radio%20top%20spin%20albums%20poll_1016586

Cult US rockers TV ON THE RADIO have claimed the year's top album in Spin magazine's 2006 poll. The release, RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN, beat GNARLS BARKLEY's ST ELSEWHERE and WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT by Britain's ARCTIC MONKEYS to the top spot in the newly-released end-of-year album poll. The 40 Best Albums of 2006 features mostly indie-style rock and pop with a heavy mix of British and American talent. The top 10 is: 1. RETURN TO COOKIE MOUNTAIN by TV ON THE RADIO 2. ST ELSEWHERE by GNARLS BARKLEY 3. WHATEVER PEOPLE SAY I AM, THAT'S WHAT I'M NOT by ARCTIC MONKEYS 4. FISHSCALE by GHOSTFACE KILLAH 5. THE BLACK PARADE by MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE 6. YS by JOANNA NEWSOM 7. THE GREATEST by CAT POWER 8. OKONOKOS by MY MORNING JACKET 9. HELL HATH NO FURY by CLIPSE 10. THE INFORMATION by BECK 14/12/2006 20:12

MyLifeISought

Okonokos made it onto the year-end lists of two staffers at Philadelphia's WXPN. The lists can be viewed here:
http://www.xponentialmusic.org/top50_2006/host_picks2006.php
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

Jaimoe

Here's a year end best of article/list from Thursday's Toronto Star (which is a Canadian national newpaper ala The New York Times):

2006 IN REVIEW: MUSIC DVDS
TheStar.com - artsentertainment - Pixies dust field in music DVDs

Pixies dust field in music DVDs

December 28, 2006
Hope Sinclair
Mark R. Hasan
special to the star

Classic films and Hollywood blockbusters weren't the only DVD hit releases this year.

As staffers at Bay Street Video, we saw much demand for concert videos, band documentaries and archival collections – there's a market for even the most exotic musical styles and apocryphal recordings.

Retro and vintage releases dominated, however. Here is our Top 10 list:

1. The Pixies: loudQUIETloud from MVD. The amazing concert performances are sadly condensed, but the behind-the-scenes dramas give us an intimate and sympathetic portrait of these idiosyncratic musicians who create ground-breaking music in spite of their unresolved conflicts. A rock-doc classic.

2. Chuck Berry – Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll is an exhaustive four-disc release from Image Entertainment that leaves nothing behind. Remastered in punchy Dolby 5.1, director Taylor Hackford's reverent documentary is further augmented by an hour of rehearsal footage and a two-part anthology, featuring reflections from peers and contemporary musicians.

3. Jeff Tweedy's solo tour spanned both American coasts, and filmmakers Christoph Green and Brendan Canty have weaved a captivating 18-song narrative in Nonsuch's stellar DVD for Sunken Treasure Live: In the Pacific Northwest, with Tweedy performing choice material from his Wilco, Loose Fur and Uncle Tupelo repertoires.

4. The music of cultural icon Leonard Cohen is showcased in Lions Gates' multi-part concert and documentary, Leonard Cohen – I'm Your Man, with classic cuts performed by musicians as diverse as Rufus Wainwright, Anne McGarrigle, Nick Cave. An amazing, intimate event.

5. In spite of the weird fusion of dramatic vignettes with a llama, a creaky Victorian coffee klatch and live musical performances, fans of the Kentucky band My Morning Jacket will relish the raw performances captured in the hybrid concert film, Okonokos, released by Ato Records.

6. The decade-long wait for the home version of Pink Floyd's gig in Earls Court, London ended when Sony gave us the full 145-minute concert in Pink Floyd: Pulse, complete with a dynamic 5.1 mix of the band's prog-rock classics. Included as a humble bonus is a complete performance of Dark Side of the Moon.

7. TV host Tom Snyder's wry, laid back persona is an appropriate contrast to the bursts of chaos in The Tomorrow Show – Punk and New Wave from Shout! Factory. We get vintage 1970s-era turns by Ramones, Iggy Pop and Plasmatics in a deft mix of organized cacophony.

8. The legacy of long-dead Tupac is revisited in Eagle Vision's Tupac – The Complete Live Performances, which avoids recycling the tiresome gangster myth and just gives us the music. A gig at House of Blues is paired with a Vegas set, showing us the artistry that's been clouded by a media-buffed persona.

9. Jonathan Demme's concert film, Neil Young – Heart of Gold, is the centrepiece of a loaded DVD from Paramount, with Demme's narration over rehearsal featurettes providing a needed career context for the chameleon-like musician before his emotional performances.

10. BBC Warner's third volume of the Old Grey Whistle Test rescues 28 more vintage performances from the 1970s and '80s on the ground-breaking British show, on which artists performed new songs live, then were interviewed. (The show's title referred to the hard-to-please doormen in grey suits at U.K. music publishing houses.) The new issue has the likes of Rick Wakeman, Bob Geldof, Fairport Convention, Roger Daltry and Janis Ian.

MyLifeISought

Okonokos is #25 on WXPN Philadelphia's Top 50 of 2006
http://xponentialmusic.org/top50_2006/top50.php
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

LaurieBlue

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_4918231?source=rss

Best show: My Morning Jacket, Nov. 22, Louisville Gardens. Is this a homer call? No way. This was the rock show of the year, courtesy of one of the world's finest live bands. If you missed it, pick up the "Okonokos" DVD.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Quotehttp://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_4918231?source=rss

Best show: My Morning Jacket, Nov. 22, Louisville Gardens. Is this a homer call? No way. This was the rock show of the year, courtesy of one of the world's finest live bands. If you missed it, pick up the "Okonokos" DVD.

MUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there