The Bear? Bad idea!

Started by LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK, Jan 07, 2007, 09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

I saw them play this twice at the thrillmore on the NYE run and it really got to me.

I love interpreting songs and Jims' lyrics are some of my favorites to ponder.

It's a bad idea to go down to the pier......

Because the character might jump in and commit suicide.  Cause "THey've lost touch with their beating heart....."  " whatever killed their spark...."

But there is still time.... to change your mind.....

the ending is    "Forever ......"

What a theatrical song live!  gives me chills when I listen.

THe bear is the sacred grim reaper.  Stalking you.

Masterful, beautiful and haunting.

More songs like this please!!

I will be there when you die!

BH

The "forevers" at the end of the acoustic citsuoca version are super chill inducing!  One of my favorite MMJ moments.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

rob

Love the Phil Spector style music/production on this......amazing song.....yes, chill inducing here too.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

ManNamedTruth

QuoteLove the Phil Spector style music/production on this......amazing song.....yes, chill inducing here too.
Yeah the drum beat at the beginning sounds like an oldie....what song is that?
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

rob

QuoteLove the Phil Spector style music/production on this......amazing song.....yes, chill inducing here too.
Yeah the drum beat at the beginning sounds like an oldie....what song is that?

It's like a slowed down 'Be My Baby' (Ronettes) drum sound.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

inthehollowww

I can clearly remember hearing MMJ for the first time - and it was this song, during a magnificent winter sunset in the Sonoran desert, that blew me away.  It was almost a religious-type experience and I've been hooked ever since.  

The suicide interpretation is right on point I believe.  At first I associated the lyrics and the pier reference with this kind of homeless/vagrant-type environment ("cuz they're down on their luck").  Can't wait to listen again

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.