Main Menu

CONAN

Started by doeslittle, Oct 13, 2005, 11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

did anybody get this recorded and up online yet? I know someone was saying something about posting the video for it...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

CC

Quotedid anybody get this recorded and up online yet? I know someone was saying something about posting the video for it...

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1129271688

tomEisenbraun

yeah...i saw that right after i posted

:-[
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

slimsloslider

sorry i'm only getting around to this now, but i was at the conan taping yesterday. i stood in the rain for half an hour in the morning for a stand-by ticket, and when i came back in the afternoon, i literally got the last seat in the studio. word to the wise: if any of you plan on going to see conan, apply online for tickets well in advance. if you don't have that luxury, show up at 8 for standby tickets, not 8:30 like me (each ticket has a number and you're lined up in order). the only reason i made the last cut was because i was by myself and none of the 10 people in front of me wanted to break up their groups. plus, i had chatted with a few of those people and they knew how serious i was about getting in. i was happy to see the band brought their full set-up with the owls and japanese flag, but disappointed conan didn't have a copy of the lp. the cover art is so incredible and the camera would've picked up the album much better than the cd. i was surprised jim and patrick sported the masks and that they performed "anytime." i expected "off the record."

Gripe

Did anyone notice that the "Ah Ah Ahhhhh" parts were...cough...on tape? I guess they were prerecorded and triggered by the keyboard. It wasn't like Ashley Simpson on SNL or anything, but I was kind of surprised. Although, that particular sound would likely have sounded less than great if one of the other guys had tried to sing it while wailing away during a fast song, so maybe it was the right thing to do.

ratsprayer

QuoteDid anyone notice that the "Ah Ah Ahhhhh" parts were...cough...on tape? I guess they were prerecorded and triggered by the keyboard. It wasn't like Ashley Simpson on SNL or anything, but I was kind of surprised. Although, that particular sound would likely have sounded less than great if one of the other guys had tried to sing it while wailing away during a fast song, so maybe it was the right thing to do.

And I'm no longer convinced that Johnny quit the band. I think maybe Patrick ate him.  

thats been my experience at all the shows ive seen (4 so far) that they pre-record some of the ooohs and aaahs and program them in to the keys.  

dragonboy

Nothing wrong with that.
If it's programmed into the keyboard & the keyboard is being played live, that's cool.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ratsprayer

QuoteNothing wrong with that.
If it's programmed into the keyboard & the keyboard is being played live, that's cool.

yeah i dont have any problems with it.  id imagine its easier than cloning jim.  

primushead

I think Bo and Carl should step up a little more when it comes to backing vocals.  They can both sing for sure...they just don't get used to the fullest potential :-/

LOWTRUX

is there any way to watch this performance on the internet?, we dont have conan here in spain, well until i get digital tv i guess.
thanks

CC

Quoteis there any way to watch this performance on the internet?, we dont have conan here in spain, well until i get digital tv i guess.
thanks

check this thread
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=news;action=display;num=1129271688

Danko71

thats been my experience at all the shows ive seen (4 so far) that they pre-record some of the ooohs and aaahs and program them in to the keys.  

I saw a tape of this and noticed it as well. I guess it's okay but it kinda bugs me. Seems like it was something Jim could've pulled off himself, or one of the other guys. As far as being activated by the keyboard...I don't know about that. It didn't look like Bo was actively hitting anything during those moments, but maybe he was. If the drum machine can be pre-recorded, there's no reason why they wouldn't do the same for vocals. Still a great performance though. One of my favorites from the album.

ratsprayer

i agree with primushead, bo and carl arent used enough.  ive always wondered why theyre not used for backup?  i think ive only heard carl sing on 'how do you know', and its fucking great when he does.  let those men sing!

aMillionDreams

Quotei agree with primushead, bo and carl arent used enough.  ive always wondered why theyre not used for backup?  i think ive only heard carl sing on 'how do you know', and its fucking great when he does.  let those men sing!

Carl sounds great on just about every live version of dondante there is.  And he sounds great on the version of 'man in me' from the Lebowski Fest.  But I don't really know what I think about the backup vocals conversation.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ratsprayer

Carl sounds great on just about every live version of dondante there is.  And he sounds great on the version of 'man in me' from the Lebowski Fest.  But I don't really know what I think about the backup vocals conversation.

would it be too different from the way things have been before?  im saying some live harmonies at the shows wouldnt be a bad thing at all.  

aMillionDreams

like I say, I can't really decide how I feel about it.  I remember hearing Tennesse Fire and wondering how they could fill in all of the harmonies that Jim layers on the album in a live performance.  The answer was through the shear power of his voice and energy of the band.  And then they picked up a keyboardist to fill in some of the harmonies, which worked nicely.

I'm not sure if the pre-recorded backup vocals are parts that the keyboardists can't pull off on the keys.  But then again, I like the pre-recorded vocals when they come in on live versions of 'Golden'.  And Carl ain't a bad singer either, so... I just can't decide.  Maybe they just shouldn't pin themselves down to one thing and change it up on us like we know they are fond of doing.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

mackhazel

just saw them in boston...those people talk too much...there was an annoying din when they played something acoustic...maybe thats why they didnt...jim made reference to their idle chatter just before anytime...they couldnt talk over that...

mackhazel

just saw them in boston...those people talk too much...there was an annoying din when they played something acoustic...maybe thats why they didnt...jim made reference to their idle chatter just before anytime...they couldnt talk over that...

EC

Wowee.  I loved that Conan performance.  I think Patrick looks like Animal with that mask on.  That is a wicked mask.  I thought Anytime was a great choice for Conan.  As far as pre-recorded harmonies, I guess sometimes you don't know why people would choose to do that...  But I'm sure there's a reason.

Seriously, though, Patrick's mask is kick ass.   [smiley=rock.gif]