MMJ in the new Elizabethtown Movie

Started by thebigbang, Aug 23, 2004, 02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMJ_fanatic

or is it set in another later time and the guys are gonna be a group covering Skynrd(?)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Oz

People, you're allowed to shoot me - I don't think I even know this 'Freebird' song.  :-/

Any news on that movie yet, by the way?
I'm ready when you are

MMJ_fanatic

O:  its a 70s southern rock anthem from Lynyrd Skynyrd. you didn't miss too much, while Skynyrd is a great band I don't have freebird high on my list of their tunes--I'd rather hear "On the hunt" anyday :D

thebigbang

Anyone hear anymore news about this.  I googled it and found these notes about MMJ music in the movie "Paper Cut" but nothing at all about Elizabethtown. Sure hope they don't get cut.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0325957/trivia
http://www.onelongsong.com/copy.html

Also saw they made Cameron Crowe's top 5 (but only 5th):
http://www.cameroncroweonline.com/news/archives/2004/jan.htm

Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

wordawg

QuoteO:  its a 70s southern rock anthem from Lynyrd Skynyrd. you didn't miss too much, while Skynyrd is a great band I don't have freebird high on my list of their tunes--I'd rather hear "On the hunt" anyday :D

Its a bloody classic!
Saw them live twice and its was stupendous both times. I also think that it was the most requested clip on Old Grey Whistle Test, but I could be wrong.
the future is Ginger

CC

Its a bloody classic!
Saw them live twice and its was stupendous both times. I also think that it was the most requested clip on Old Grey Whistle Test, but I could be wrong.

got that grey whistle dvd? the freebird performance is on there and gotta say I like it! but there's even better stuff on there, like curtis mayfield, john martyn, new york dolls, tim buckley, tom waits and so much more from the 70s and 80s. it's a must-have.

wordawg

Thanks for that CCB.  Haven't got that but might take a journey through e-bay just to check.
Saw NYD at Leeds.  I was well impressed, and quite surprised that that some of the originals were still alive.
the future is Ginger

johnbky

Couldn't keep myself from throwin' it out there after reading all this MMJ/Skynyrd hoopla, but the real deal...LYNYRD SKYNYRD!!!...will be playing at Louisville's very own Waterfront next Sunday, September 26th!
  Not a fan at all, don't own any of their music, probably even mis-spelled their name, but I've seen 'em twice before (both times for free, like this one will most likely be), and they rock!  Freebird...live, by the band who wrote it (or at least their relatives/friends that are now in the band...are any of the originals left?), it's an experience not to be missed.  

I wonder if the boys from MMJ will be in attendance?  No shows then, so why not?!

Sal Paradise

So they're Jessie's band. Who's Jessie?
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

thebigbang

QuoteSo they're Jessie's band. Who's Jessie?

Cast credits linked below, include Paul Schneider as Jessie Baylor and Jessie's band; James Olliges, Jr., Thomas Blankenship, Carl Broemel, Patrick Hallahan and Charlie Crowe.

I guess their cover's blown:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368709/
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

EC

Hey - Jed Rees is in it!!  He's Canadian!!  :)

Chills

If there would be one, What MMJ song would you love to hear in the movie. I'd love an entire version of Steam Engine at the end of it. This site would be overflowing with new members...

thebigbang

QuoteIf there would be one, What MMJ song would you love to hear in the movie. I'd love an entire version of Steam Engine at the end of it. This site would be overflowing with new members...

Given the plot line, Nashville to Kentucky would be an obvious fit.  But My Morning Jacket music is all so evocative I can imagine any song they play adding to the drama or excitement of a movie scene.  Old September Blues might work best on a bittersweet romantic/comedy  soundtrack at the moment a main character belatedly realizes love and redemption found in another and chases after them before the chance is lost.

Now, if only Cameron Crowe had shared his script with us, we could have all pasted in the appropriate MMJ songs and saved Nancy Wilson and Paul Westerberg a lot of trouble.

thebigbang

Movie release dates move around a lot, but the Elizabethtown, Kentucky newspaper carried this story this week about a July 29, 2005 release date.

I was rooting for Derby week so we wouldn't have to wait so long to see if MMJ steals the movie or hits the cutting room floor.

http://www.newsenterpriseonline.com/articles/2004/11/18/news/news06.txt

'Elizabethtown' set to debut next July

By NE STAFF
STAFF REPORT

Internet sites Box Office Prophets and metromix.com, the entertainment Web site for the Chicago Tribune, are reporting the movie "Elizabethtown" has been set for a July 29, 2005 release.

The movie, named after Elizabethtown, Ky., was partially filmed here on July 22. Filming also took place in other parts of the state.

Directed by Cameron Crowe, the film is about a young man, played by Orlando Bloom, who has suffered a drastic failure in his career and is considering suicide.

However, his father dies and Bloom's character must travel back to Kentucky for the funeral.

On the way he meets and falls in love with a character played by Kirsten Dunst, and finds he enjoys the eccentricities of small-town life.

There are several extras in the film from Elizabethtown, including members of the local Lions Club.

Sal Paradise

So, I do believe 'Steam Engine' is gonna fill movie theaters soon. Why? Check out the quote on www.cameroncrowe.com
It would be a perfect closer for the movie. Oh boy!
The sound in your mind is the first sound that you could sing

Chills

Hell yeah! This thing is starting to sound really cool!!
Steam Engine, every second of it... i'm hoping for it now, would be amazing, if my prediction becomes reality  :)

Yeah, this is awesome.  At first I just thought it would be their cover of "Free Bird"--but if the soundtrack includes an actual MMJ original--this board better be ready for thousand of new members.

sweatboard

So have they already covered Freebird?  I think Steam Engine would be an amazing song to end a movie with.  I just don't know if it's really going to make that big a difference on how popular they are.  Pearl Jam wrote a song "Man of The Hour" for the Tim Burrton film "Big Fish" and they really didn't see any increase in popularity.  That may seem silly because it's Pear Jam, but they have worked really hard to get out of the spotlight.  Of course a handful of people will catch the song and then in turn catch on to the band but unless the band actually appears in the film I wouldn't expect a huge increase in popularity at least I'll cross my fingers that it doesn't happen.
There's Still Time.........

MMJ_fanatic

Extremely happy at the prospect of MMJ blasting from theater sound systems nationwide.  Iexpect the inclusion of Orlando Bloom will generate a high female attendance at the film  ;)--get ready for competition on the site EC, Doctor, and all you other fair sex poster.... :D

EC

QuoteExtremely happy at the prospect of MMJ blasting from theater sound systems nationwide.  Iexpect the inclusion of Orlando Bloom will generate a high female attendance at the film  ;)--get ready for competition on the site EC, Doctor, and all you other fair sex poster.... :D

Bring it on!