MMJ song in new movie - "The Lookout"

Started by LaurieBlue, Mar 27, 2007, 04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0713,wilonsky,76201,20.html

Scott Frank, however, begins at the beginning, with Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) soaring at his highest, brightest moment: His wealthy old man (Bruce McGill) has just bought him a convertible sports car, which Chris drives into the dark, clear night accompanied by the ethereal Southern-rock strains of My Morning Jacket, his stunning blonde girlfriend, and another giggling couple. Chris kills the headlights, to woo and wow his girl with a sky full of fireflies. They laugh, sounding like every other high school jock and homecoming queen who believe themselves immortal—till their giggles are drowned out by the sound of crunched metal and shattered glass

Crispy

So which tune do we guess they're playing? It'd be Lowdown if I was in charge.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

The Big Come Up

Willard1979

I guess Bermuda Highway would be too obvious?   ::)

The DARK

In another time, in another place, in another face

joey_rogo

ManNamedTruth

"His blind roommate (a bearded and bespectacled Jeff Daniels, looking strangely like The Dude)"
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

thebigbang

I'm guessing "There's just one thing" would fit the scene described in the review perfectly.  Of course, as I've stated before, the entire MMJ catalog should be on soundtracks since almost all of their songs evoke so much emotion.  I'm still wondering which director will beat Cameron Crowe into using "I will be there when you die".
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

cmccubbin@work

http://www.eastbayexpress.com/2007-03-28/film/humanity-of-a-heist

Humanity of a Heist
Joseph Gordon-Levitt awes again in this character-driven theft thriller.
By Robert Wilonsky  
Published: March 28, 2007

At various times over the last decade, David Fincher, Sam Mendes, and Michael Mann were attached to direct Scott Frank's screenplay for The Lookout, about a brain-damaged high school hockey stud who's smooth-talked by distant acquaintances into robbing a smalltown bank. That Frank — best known for straightening and sharpening the tangled lines of Elmore Leonard's novels Get Shorty and Out of Sight — wound up directing The Lookout himself was the best thing that could have happened to his script. After all, it's a story about how we tell ourselves stories to retain a tenuous grasp on sanity, and who better to guide us through it than a man obsessed with the process of tale-telling itself?

In truth, The Lookout is a rather straightforward narrative: A kid is riding high till he's brought low by a horrific accident that leaves him a shell of his former self. He spends years wrestling with pain and guilt, but can make no headway thanks to the fact that his head's in the way; he can remember everything but keep nothing straight, not even his morning routine or where he keeps the can opener. His blind roommate (a bearded and bespectacled Jeff Daniels, looking strangely like the Dude) convinces him to treat his life as a short story, to write everything down in his notepad and to always begin at the end. "Can't tell a story if you don't know where it's going," the roommate turned sage says.

Scott Frank, however, begins at the beginning, with Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) soaring at his highest, brightest moment: His wealthy old man (Bruce McGill) has just bought him a convertible sportscar, which Chris drives into the dark, clear night accompanied by the ethereal Southern-rock strains of My Morning Jacket, his stunning blond girlfriend, and another giggling couple. Chris kills the headlights to woo and wow his girl with a sky full of fireflies. They laugh, sounding like every other high school jock and homecoming queen who believe themselves immortal — till their giggles are drowned out by the sound of crunched metal and shattered glass...

If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

unachela

One Big Holiday - makes for a brilliant opening scene for the movie.  Highly recommended.

thebigbang

QuoteHere's an article on Gordon-Levitt from the NY times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/25/movies/25lidz.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Thanks for that link, an excellent article. He always was the most interesting actor in 3rd Rock and now I can see why.

Here is a link to the movie trailer.  I didn't hear any MMJ in the trailer, but what a beginning sequence: car dash and crash while One Big Holiday is blasting from the stereo, superseding the obvious choice of Born to Run!

http://movies.clevver.com/video/20415/the-lookout-trailer-300.php
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

spencer

One Big Holiday is the song used in the opening sequence.  I am not 100% sure but I think Lay Low is playing in the background of an important scene. I don't want to give too many details in case anyone wants to see the movie.

Grooms512

"One Big Holiday is the song used in the opening sequence.  I am not 100% sure but I think Lay Low is playing in the background of an important scene. I don't want to give too many details in case anyone wants to see the movie."

It is indeed Lay Low in the background of the bar when Joesph Gordon-Levitt first meets the character Gary (forgive me for not knowing his real name.)  I like to think im some what of a respectable film critic to my friends and family and after seeing the movie tonight, I must say I do agree with most of the reviews that have come out.  And while I dont agree it was "An instant masterpiece" as Roeper said, I do think it was an enjoyable thriller with a tremendous cast.  While most viewers are raving about Gordon Levitt, I think Jeff Daniels may have been the sweetest touch to the film.  But here is where I question myself, was it really Daniels that made the film, or was it "One Big Holiday?"  I guess that point I'm getting at, is...I'm glad great MMJ music is played in a remarkable film and not something like "Wild Hogs" or "Shooter."  Please note, I am not bashing anyone who likes these movies, just don't think MMJ is suitable.  I reccomend going to see The Lookout, fuck it, why not, its got the tunes to go with it?

wickedmonkeyz

yep, there was a lot of talk about this movie over at the pearl jam boards, there was an interview with levitt where he talked about pearl jam... i went and saw the movie the other night because the plot seemed interesting... definitely was not expecting to hear that during the opening, i head the cymbals and was like, "What! No way..." and then there it was with one big holiday, and as noted lay low was played in the background... also, for all you pearl jam fans out there, during one scene in levitt's bedroom there is a poster from pearl jam's 98 south pacific tour on the wall

good movie too