2nd Half of At Dawn...Something Sinister?

Started by The_DARK, May 09, 2007, 11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

The lyrics from At Dawn to Honest Man seem simple and honest. But from Xmas Curtain on, it seems like there's something deeply sinister hidden in the lyrics.

THE EVIDENCE

Xmas Curtain- "Get some action from the Xmas girl" sounds like prostitution, no?

Just Because I Do- "Then I get rid of you" seems a bit sinister to me.

If It Smashes Down- Prehaps about a murder at an amusement park?

I Needed It Most- Is the girl in question insane? The lyrics make it seem that way.

Phone Went West- This may not be intentional, but switching from "knock on your front door" to "knock on your back door" could imply something less than romance.

Stangulation- Obviously about suicide and death

Do these lyrics seem a bit frightening to you?
In another time, in another place, in another face

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThe lyrics from At Dawn to Honest Man seem simple and honest. But from Xmas Curtain on, it seems like there's something deeply sinister hidden in the lyrics.

THE EVIDENCE

Xmas Curtain- "Get some action from the Xmas girl" sounds like prostitution, no?

I Needed It Most- Is the girl in question insane? The lyrics make it seem that way.

Phone Went West- This may not be intentional, but switching from "knock on your front door" to "knock on your back door" could imply something less than romance.

Life can be frightening.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

QuoteThe lyrics from At Dawn to Honest Man seem simple and honest. But from Xmas Curtain on, it seems like there's something deeply sinister hidden in the lyrics.

THE EVIDENCE

pass the bong brother ;)
but really, thats weird shit
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jellyfish

The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

That Bong, Bong Bong, Bong!!!!

I love it when the beat go duh duh, duh duh.
There's Still Time.........

Easy Morning Rebel

Life can be frightening.
Life IS frightening!
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/"]http://www.last.fm/user/SoAlive/[/url]

Even cowgirls get the blues

sweatboard

QuoteThat Bong, Bong Bong, Bong!!!!

I love it when the beat go duh duh, duh duh.

I'm really glad this thread got bumped, I forgot about how awesome that post was.  It's got to be in the top five of all time for me.   :-/
There's Still Time.........

Meddle

with all seriousness... that is a good basis of assumption-- the bongs in rotation and at dawn is still spinning. wow lets analyze this situation... last night I decided that from now on when I play acoustic guitar im not going to use a pick .. ever. I decided that using a pick limits you way to much on an acoustic guitar and it doesn't draw much of the natural tone especially when its un-amplified. Much like many of MMJ's songs psyche you out with reverse psychology.  My short description of "Honest Man" is sarcastic
...And Some Are Angels...

The DARK

Quotewith all seriousness... that is a good basis of assumption-- the bongs in rotation and at dawn is still spinning. wow lets analyze this situation... last night I decided that from now on when I play acoustic guitar im not going to use a pick .. ever. I decided that using a pick limits you way to much on an acoustic guitar and it doesn't draw much of the natural tone especially when its un-amplified. Much like many of MMJ's songs psyche you out with reverse psychology.  My short description of "Honest Man" is sarcastic

Interesting...never thought of Honest Man as sarcastic, but I see where it's coming from! ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face