Which songs deserve a re-recording?

Started by The_DARK, May 19, 2007, 11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The DARK

First of all, I do NOT mean that the originals are bad, as MMJ have never made a bad song. I just wonder what some songs would sound like if they were recorded now.

I would really like to see a re-recording of Tonite I Wanna Celebrate With You.
In another time, in another place, in another face

corey

I love that one the way that it is.

I would love to hear a re-recorded version of "Phone Went West". The way that they rocked it out at the end of the 2004 Bonnaroo show kicks my ass every time.

Also, "Dancefloors". I would love to hear it with a crunchier guitar, kinda like the live show.

The DARK

QuoteI love that one the way that it is.

I agree, but I'd love to hear it with an omnichord.

And I'd love a re-recorded PWW. Also a new The Dark would be pretty sick.  ;)

ManNamedTruth

Are you guys crazy? PWW is so great and multi-layered sounding, it's already perfect!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ratsprayer

mahgeetah.

the ISM version is so weak compared to the live version.  slap some better production on that baby and re-release it!

ycartrob

bethofftherecord

War Begun.  the original is good, but i think is better live.  wait?  isn't everything better live? 8-)
nothing can be changed except ourselves

red

Gideon.  Give me MORE strings!!!  Like a thousand piece orchestra or something.  

aMD

I hope that they rerecord the entire album of tennesse fire on the 20 anniversary, however, war begun and picture of you definitely deserve to be rerecorded.  those two have evolved so far from the original, i figured they would have put them on okonokos but no dice.

drewsdad27us

Nashville to Kentucky only because the drum intro to the chorus just kills me when done live. :P

DaFunkyPrecedent

i was thinking of all the songs that sound better live than they do on record - and i came up with this list: all of them.

we dont need them to Re-Record any of the albums, we just need more live shows. Isn't that what makes a band special - their live shows, their live feel.  MMJ did re-record a lot of songs on Okonokos...kinda....right?

I do agree that TTF would be 100 million times better if it got remastered, but to re-record would lose its amature magic.  
God damn those shaky knees.

The DARK

Quotei was thinking of all the songs that sound better live than they do on record - and i came up with this list: all of them.

we dont need them to Re-Record any of the albums, we just need more live shows. Isn't that what makes a band special - their live shows, their live feel.  MMJ did re-record a lot of songs on Okonokos...kinda....right?

I do agree that TTF would be 100 million times better if it got remastered, but to re-record would lose its amature magic.  
Exactly. I don't really feel a need to update the sound quality, but like aMD said, songs like War Begun, Picture of You, and They Ran should have a re-recording. When played live, they sound totally different than their studio counterparts. Sometimes TF can seem like demos for the live versions.

And who wouldn't want more live shows? I'm sure we'd all love to see official releases of Bonnaroo 06, NYE, and the 40 Watt Prom shows.

Chico

I would like to see them re-record the entire catalog.

That way I have more stuff to keep me busy between new material being released.  I know I would re-buy it all.  It would be particularly interesting to hear TTF and At Dawn with a new twist.