HOW COULD I KNOOOOO-OOO-OOOW!?!?!

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Aug 16, 2007, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

I contend that this song gets overlooked for two reasons.

Number One, obviously because it is not on an album.

Number Two, the name doesn't stand out and sometimes gets confused with How Do You Know?

I implore you to listen to this song tonight on your headphones.  You can hear every little inflection in Jim's voice. It's so soft yet so strong!

Listen to when he says the word "that" at the end of the line "but all I could think of was last summer, and the one before that."

Oh sooooo good.

Jusssssst let me beeeeeeeeeee!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

BH

Quoteyou mean "Oxen"?  ;)

Yes!   ;D I wish they could go back and stick with the name Oxen!  That would help.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

JohnnyRage

I don't overlook it.

It stood out to me the second time I saw them, which was at the Gypsy Tea Room. I had  most of their albums, but was still surprised by how many songs I didn't recognize. This being one.
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

The DARK

When I first listened to this, I thought it would've been the most perfect end to ISM. Better than One In The Same (nothing against it, though!). I hope they break it out at least once on the next tour. What a perfect closer it would be!

Speaking of Z-sides, can I get a YSI for Chills?
In another time, in another place, in another face

Chico

QuoteI contend that this song gets overlooked for two reasons.

Number Two, the name doesn't stand out and sometimes gets confused with How Do You Know?

I implore you to listen to this song tonight on your headphones.  You can hear every little inflection in Jim's voice. It's so soft yet so strong!

Listen to when he says the word "that" at the end of the line "but all I could think of was last summer, and the one before that."

Oh sooooo good.

Thanks Bermuda!  This got lost in the collection and was almost forgotten about!  Listening with headphones NOW!  MMM...  Jacket.

ChiefOKONO

this song also rules.. i listen to it often!

InTheZone

yeah thanks bermuda, you're totally dead on about this song and esp about the word "that" in this song.

i love this song, and Chills too for that matter.  every time i listen to these either of these 'Z-sides' i feel like they're being played right in front of me in my living room, which is AWESOME  8-)

god bless the usa

BH

There is just something about the vocal track on this song.  Soooo good.

I love the "Z-Side" phrase guys.  Nice.

rob

One of my all time favorite MMJ songs. The atmosphere is just incredibly rich. Got the vinyl 45 when I bought the Z CD. Burnt this track to CD-R right away. Sounds amazing. Just wish it and Chills were on Z....hate having stray 'Z'-sides scattered.
"demon eyes are watchin' everywhere"

George_Savage

QuoteI contend that this song gets overlooked for two reasons.

Oh sooooo good.

I guess it could also get confused with 'How Will I Know?", Jim and his How/Know songs fixation!!!    Fwiw, How Will I Know is probably my least all-time favorite MMJ song.   Music being what it is, I'm sure it's someone's all-time favorite.
But How Could I Know (Oxen) is easily one of their best!   They opened the 11/17/04 show in Dallas with it, so we had it on tape right then.   I immediately loved everything about it and I just played it over and over.   I love the recording on the 'Z sides' EP, as y'all call it.   Chills as well - I think that when I rated these in June that Oxen was #2 behind The Bear.   Something funny happened last night when I was watching Northern Exposure (just bought a few of the DVDs) and in one of the episodes (wow, The Bear just came on, I'm listening to the demos thing) entitled 'A Kodiak Moment' they're hunting Jesse, a bear that nearly killed Holling a few years back.  Shelley says something like "Jesse's a bear?" and Ed says with some degree of reverence, No, not just a bear, "THE BEAR!" and I thought about my all-time favorite MMJ song.   Anyway, long live MMJ and the tapers and traders.

Low Dog

ManNamedTruth

just listened to this song for the first time! 15 dollars just for 2 songs i didn't have, I know its 4 songs but i didn't really need the Off The Record single version.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

SiOuxTribe

The background yells Jim does at the end are awesome.  So powerful.
Passion dripping from the coyote's eyes,
He can taste his blood,
An' blood never lies,
Pale face die. - Kiedis

JacketGal

Nice version of it here:
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16

Streaming this show today - it's making my sour mood oh-so much better!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

BH

QuoteThe background yells Jim does at the end are awesome.  So powerful.

Hey SiOux, when do we get to hear a new MMJ cover song as a follow up to the legendary Xmas Curtain.  I still watch that on youtube every now and again.  Fuckin' awesome.

BH

QuoteNice version of it here:
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2004-05-28.flac16

Streaming this show today - it's making my sour mood oh-so much better!

That show is one of my favorites!   How Could I Know, How Do You Know, and M. Ward all rolled up into one beautiful show!