Elizabethtown was HORRIBLE...I'm bummed.

Started by Nikkogino, Oct 22, 2005, 10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikkogino

I was looking forward to this film for a while (ever since I learned that the Jacket would be appearing in it).  Well, I finally got to see it last night and I was let down big time.  I am a huge film buff and I usually like movies that are offbeat and kinda strange.  I also am a big fan of Cameron Crowe.  However, I think that the movie was a disaster.  There were tons of good ideas and a few really good scenes.  I also laughed at a bunch of parts.  But the movie was not put together well.  I didn't feel for the characters at all.  The pacing of the film was way off as well.  The Susan Sarandon dancing scene...wtf?  I enjoyed the end driving scene but the scene did not fit into the film at all.  I'm not saying that I am a three-act, strict pattern movie fan...I love it when films stray a little bit.  But this film was three films rolled into one.  I don't really know what else to say about it...I would enjoy 20 minutes of the movie, and then hate 20 minutes, etc etc.  I, like many other movie goers and critics, had high expectations for this film.  I am bummed that the movie didn't work.  BTW, it would have taken Claire weeks to make that travel guide (complete with pictures, artwork, and recorded cds) that she gave to andrew...

Does anyone else think that this movie sucks, or am I alone?  Also, my fiance said that she saw Jim James in the background of the outdoor burial scene (where the lowering coffin crank goes haywire)...is he really?  Last question:  Who was the extra member of the band that played on stage...he was an older guy with short hair?  And where was Bo (since it looked like Pat took over on keys so that other guy could play drums)??

realkentuckydude

My girlfriend and I saw the movie last night for three reasons; 1. Part is set in KY, my home state 2. Cameron Crowe is the sh*t and 3. MMJ was in it.  Orlando Bloom brought the movie way way down.  He was terrible and the movie would have been better with Jake Gylenewhatever from Donnie Darko.  
Yes that was Jim James in the burial scene.  The extra member was Cameron Crowes relative.  And you are totally right Claire could not have made that scrapbook in such a short amount of time.

Bo was sadly left out in the cold - surely this won't cause a rift in the band.  MMJ actually had another scene where the band members shake hands with Drew after the funeral but it was cut.

lfish

The thing we all want to know right now is....

How did the jacket pull off freebird?  Was it any good, hilarious, ... Because honestly, that's the only reason I want to see that film.
lfish

Nikkogino

QuoteThe thing we all want to know right now is....

How did the jacket pull off freebird?  Was it any good, hilarious, ... Because honestly, that's the only reason I want to see that film.

They pull it off okay, but it isn't like they are the main focus of the shots.  There is some random dude (apparently crowe's relative) who is in front of jim and some actor is playing drums and singing.  I was very dissapointed....I wanted MMJ to take over the whole movie.

I wouldn't go just to see MMJ...it is not worth it at all.

Dee.

QuoteMMJ actually had another scene where the band members shake hands with Drew after the funeral but it was cut.
Sorry, I just have to illustrate..

thebigbang

QuoteBo was sadly left out in the cold - surely this won't cause a rift in the band

Considering so many reviews consider it a FIASCO, maybe Bo is grateful for the omission!

As for shots of the band, I think there were definitely more in the internet preview and trailer.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

realkentuckydude

Considering so many reviews consider it a FIASCO, maybe Bo is grateful for the omission!

You are probably right.

LaurieBlue

http://www.paulschneider.com/jacket.htm....
About Paul Schneider's going on the road w/MMJ to learn about life as a touring band.

He's really a good guy and also there's absolutely no animosity or rift between Bo and anyone.  Bo was treated by Cameron and everyone with the utmost respect, appreciation and kindness.  He was on the set with them.

Laurie

realkentuckydude

Quotehttp://www.paulschneider.com/jacket.htm....
About Paul Schneider's going on the road w/MMJ to learn about life as a touring band.

He's really a good guy and also there's absolutely no animosity or rift between Bo and anyone.  Bo was treated by Cameron and everyone with the utmost respect, appreciation and kindness.  He was on the set with them.

Laurie

I knew there wouldn't be - do any of the guys in MMJ really like being in front of the camera anyway?  I mean Jim did wear a mask on Conan.

rust

I think that to say the movie is horrible is way too strong. It definitely has its weak points but when compared against most of what comes out of Hollywood these days I think it fares very well. The comedy achieved by the supporting cast of this movie is worthy of the Cohen Brothers and really provides a firm foundation for all of Orlando and Kirsten's romantic involvement. (One side note: Orlando Bloom is obviously no Al Pacino but his understated reserved manner is what this film is calling for and he plays it well).

Contrary to the original comments I feel that the closing scene was a perfect ending for the movie and indeed one of the most powerful scenes of any movie ever. Cameron Crowe's impeccable music selections combined with the historical backdrop of the South and all it's Americana charm is nothing short of Art.

This movie is admittedly not perfect but as in all of Crowe's movies it does have some deeply profound things to say about the human condition and this time around we get the added bonus of seeing them resolved from a uniquely American perspective.  

I realize that Nikkogino is a senior member and this is only my first post, indeed, to write this rebuttal is the reason I joined, but I suggest that you see the movie and form your own opinion. I don't think you will be disappointed.

EC

Well said, rust.  As I was telling a friend recently, there were aspects of the movie that didn't jive with me.  But I left that movie feeling really good about people (like, the universal "people"), and there aren't a lot of directors who make me feel like that.

EC

That little winker is another renegade emoticon (meaning it's not supposed to be there).  What is it with me and those things?

SMc55

I realize that Nikkogino is a senior member and this is only my first post, indeed, to write this rebuttal is the reason I joined, but I suggest that you see the movie and form your own opinion. I don't think you will be disappointed.

First posts are just as valuable as 1000th posts, rust  :)
Personally I was happy to read nikkogino's review. It was clearly heartfelt and made me want to see the film more than before so I can form my own opinion. My worry about it that the band will be sort of caricatured.

Nikkogino

QuoteI think that to say the movie is horrible is way too strong. It definitely has its weak points but when compared against most of what comes out of Hollywood these days I think it fares very well. The comedy achieved by the supporting cast of this movie is worthy of the Cohen Brothers and really provides a firm foundation for all of Orlando and Kirsten's romantic involvement.  

I do agree that the movie is better than 99% of most movies nowadays, but it is not better than any cameron crowe film.  You are right though that there are some hilarious people in the movie (I loved the groom).  I just didn't like the movie as a whole.  It was good for a laugh and had some great music (Just like all of his movies do) but in the end, fell flat.  And although  I have more posts than you, we are on equal ground buddy...just two guys who love us some MMJ.

kymoose

For what it's worth, I thought E-town was pretty good.  Is it two thumbs up--probably not from a critic's perspective.  But who really cares--it was still pretty funny, had good scenery and great music.  It was enjoyable (at least to me) and that alone may be worth the price of admission.

Also, the soundtrack is pretty damn good--there is a great Ryan Adams song on there, as well as two good ones from Tom Petty--not to mention the Jacket song.  

Nikkogino

they played a song maybe 20 minutes after the MMJ track and it sounded like MMJ....anyone know what band I'm talking about?

tdan

Well the music is your special friend
Dance on fire as it intends
Music is your only friend
Until the end

steelyB

I was a little let down too - Orlando deinitely brought it down - I think they could have cut about 20 minutes of his romance with Dunst and the movie would have been better. Susan Sarandon was incredible, as usual, and there were a few scenes that really reminded me of my vacations to see my relatives in Kentucky, whch actually brought out that warm fuzzy feeling - it was short lived though.

sweatboard

Wow, I haven't met one person or heard one review that actually appreciated this movie.  I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder because this movie really touched me.  It was actually better than I expected.  My wife and I left the theater with a glow.  
There's Still Time.........