Okonokos Steam Engine: A Big Ol' Slice of Heaven

Started by mylifeisought, Aug 30, 2007, 03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyLifeISought

I adore this version of this song. Holy fuck.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

getinthevan

I've thrown on Okonokos just to listen to Steam Engine.  There's something about that song on vinyl that just makes me feel good.

Though I must confess that I adore most versions of this song and I only say most because I know I haven't heard them all.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

TEO

QuoteI've thrown on Okonokos just to listen to Steam Engine.  There's something about that song on vinyl that just makes me feel good.

Though I must confess that I adore most versions of this song and I only say most because I know I haven't heard them all.  

I know, I have played it like three times this week VERY loud at work when I first get there. The scream from the girl at the very beginning just sets it up that you are gonna' hear something really special.  
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

DaFunkyPrecedent

it is the most played song on my iTunes at 47

my top 20 has 17/20 MMJ songs....i need help.
God damn those shaky knees.

Big Nasty

Quoteit is the most played song on my iTunes at 47

Hahaha!  I've had very similar conversations with anyone who will listen -- hey, is there something wrong with me because I simply can not stop listening to this band!?  I fall asleep to Acoustic Chorale almost every night and crank these fuckers at work all day long.

And I shit you not, the Okonokos version of Steam Engine just came on random here at work.  Looks like my boss just lost productivity for another 8 and a half minutes...

There are several beautiful moments in this song, but the line "skin looks good in the moonlight and goddamn those shaky knees" makes me want to cry happy tears every time.

Sorry for the semi-frantic nature of this post, but to post about this and know that yall will just nod your heads and know exactly what I mean, feels fucking great.

The DARK

Quoteit is the most played song on my iTunes at 47

Hahaha!  I've had very similar conversations with anyone who will listen -- hey, is there something wrong with me because I simply can not stop listening to this band!?  I fall asleep to Acoustic Chorale almost every night and crank these fuckers at work all day long.

And I shit you not, the Okonokos version of Steam Engine just came on random here at work.  Looks like my boss just lost productivity for another 8 and a half minutes...

There are several beautiful moments in this song, but the line "skin looks good in the moonlight and goddamn those shaky knees" makes me want to cry happy tears every time.

Sorry for the semi-frantic nature of this post, but to post about this and know that yall will just nod your heads and know exactly what I mean, feels fucking great.

Another Chorale fan. I'm starting to see a pattern here...
In another time, in another place, in another face

Big Nasty

And what pattern is that?  I don't know that I prefer it to Okonokos, but late at night, it's perfect.

ChiefOKONO

tell me about it, this version just SLAYS!!!!

PromKing#1

Hey Fellas... I do not post here often and it has been awhile.  I must say that I am as big an MMJ fan as all of you.  I do read this forum on about a daily basis.  

I DO want you to know that the first ever MMJ Prom King is a hardcore fan and not just one of your average casuals.....

With that said I am going to start voicing my opinions here on a more regular basis.

Here are my thoughts on this particular thread....
I have been listening to the '04 'Roo show and, as you all already know, this Steam Engine is off the hook.............. "and god damn those SHAKY KNEES"...... one of my favorite MMJ lines

getinthevan

This leaves me wondering, what do you all consider to be the best version of Steam Engine?  

I'm completely drawing a blank right now, are there any live versions that really stand out above the rest?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

BH

As a full band, for me, it used to be Toronto '04, but since then OKONOKOS and others may have eclipsed it if only for sound quality.  But check out Toronto some time.

But if I had to pick only one, it would be the Jim James Rolling Stone solo version.  It brings tears to my eyes every time.  There is no better example of how he puts his all into every song.  The emotion and sincerity just hits me right in the gut.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

TEO

QuoteAs a full band, for me, it used to be Toronto '04, but since then OKONOKOS and others may have eclipsed it if only for sound quality.  But check out Toronto some time.

But if I had to pick only one, it would be the Jim James Rolling Stone solo version.  It brings tears to my eyes every time.  There is no better example of how he puts his all into every song.  The emotion and sincerity just hits me right in the gut.

I know what you mean. I have watched that one maybe 5 times in the last couple of weeks and you can really see how a true artist should come across.

MyLifeISought

Bonnaroo 2004, with storm rolling in. Spectacular version.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

mymorningwood

QuoteBonnaroo 2004, with storm rolling in. Spectacular version.

true that!  roo 04', in my opinion as well, has the best version of steam engine... which is prob my fav song along w/ masterplan.

SeaBach

i'm going to say that this version from 6/3/03 is my favorite version of steam engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xboovmbFazc

ultravisitor

My favorite version of "Steam Engine" is from last year's Taste of Chicago.  I love it because Andrew Bird guests with MMJ, and I was at the show (which was free).

LET_THE_FETUS_ROCK

Forgive me for it has been longer than I can remember since my last post.

Steamengine is my favorite song and always has been since I first heard it.

Although I have seen and heard it many times live my favorite is Roo 04. you can feel the bliss in Jim's voice right outta the gate.  The Rain drops and reverb blend into pure magic.
I will be there when you die!

TEO

Jacket Fanatic

QuoteI adore this version of this song. Holy fuck.

My thoughts exactly! It gets me every time.  

blenderbaby

QuoteI know, I have played it like three times this week VERY loud at work when I first get there
3 times a week!!!!!, are you kidding me!!, i play it 3 times on the (long) train jorney to work alone...  Seriously, the arrangement  of steam engine is unique, to have that little melodic solo straight after the first few lines sets it all up, the rest of the song keeps you on edge....  I listen to this wonderful song as many times as i call my mom a fuss pot, but please, please, somebody (even if it's the mighty Jim himself!) tell me why it is called "Steam engine"???, and if it is just that i can not see the wood for the trees, please somebody enlighten me... love this forum, even though there are not enough hours in the day to visit it as much as i would like. :P
A lie is not always a bad thing, as it must lead to a truth!