Songs That Just Now Hit You

Started by The_DARK, Jun 24, 2007, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjkoehler

Quotei'm going to have to say rolling back. it starts that beautiful three song sequence on it still moves (rolling, just one thing, steam engine) that almost puts me to tears every time i listen to them.
Actually listened to this yeasterday. I was thinking the only ones I could think of are Rolling Back and Just One Thing because they are sandwiched between face meltage that is Law Low and the gloriousnness that is Steam Engine. I now greatly enjoy both as they are nice comedown and put you in the right place for SE.

I assume you mean Run Thru, not Lay Low?
Yes, I seriously just thought of it while watching Oko with the kids. post edited.

ms. yvon

Steam Engine's gotta be tops for me ...And the way he yells those last two lines in Okonokos have made me yell and cry at the same time:  "The fact that my heart's beating, is all the proof you need-oohhhh!"
just reading that i got a chill.

TAKE YOUR MONEY AND YOUR DRUUUUUUUUUGS!
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

candyass

QuoteWar Begun is a song that has just recently hit me.  The version on the demos album is absolutely phenomenal!

war begun has always been my favorite song. the version that you spake of is what got me hooked on mmj. :-*

carpenter

Rollin' Back has just hit me within the last few days.  Like someone else said, that last 'ahhhh' gets me every time, along with the 'ooooh ooooh oooooohs' and that line "but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side."

It Still Moves is damn close to being a perfect album.  It took me awhile to get into all of it, but I haven't been able to stop playing it for about four months now.   ;D

thatswhatshesaid

QuoteRollin' Back has just hit me within the last few days.  Like someone else said, that last 'ahhhh' gets me every time, along with the 'ooooh ooooh oooooohs' and that line "but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side."

It Still Moves is damn close to being a perfect album.  It took me awhile to get into all of it, but I haven't been able to stop playing it for about four months now.   ;D

i agree with you 110%. it still moves was actually the first album of theirs i heard and i havent really stopped listening to it since i bought it in '03. i love all of their albums, but for me personally, that one hits the spot.

bethofftherecord

I think I am going to play I will sing you songs about 500 times on my road trip.  i will play it once in each state i go thorough.  actual states (WI, IL, KY, WV, NC) and mental states.  I fricking love this song!!! [smiley=grin2.gif]
nothing can be changed except ourselves

Ghosts_on_TV

I personally think ISM is their best album.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

katkillad

I unfortunately didn't really enjoy Dondonte until I heard it on the double live album.  It just sounds so much clearer on the live album.  Also, the sax at the end... I get chills everytime.

Willard1979

Old September Blues has finally managed to blow me away.  Thanks to its inclusion in the film Winter Passing, as well as its soundtrack.  Just that stripped down version, with Jim and his guitar, and that voice!  When he hits those high notes, the chills start!  I've listened to it at least a dozen times today, and I don't see myself growing tired of it anytime soon!  The lyrics definitely hit close to home.  :'( But, it's just too beautiful for words!  ;D

MarkW

Off the Record.  I don't really rate it much on Z, but listening to Okonokos in the car on the way to work in the morning, it struck me that OTR is a much better song live.  It took me back to seeing the Jacket in London last September, where pretty much every second (including OTR) was perfect; all killer, no filler.

That said, though, I'll be listening to Steam Engine first up on the way home  ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Jon T.

Yeah, Off the Record live is fantastic.  At the Tabernacle last year it was this song that really set it off.  I remember sitting through the first few songs and soaking it all in.  The performance was excellent but  up to this point I was thinking to myself that I kind of expected more.  I wasn't sure what else they could do the sound was great and they were spot on but it was after this song that they blew me and I'm fairly certain everyone else the fuck away.  It was as if they were kinda suckering everyone in with just a good rock concert and then all of the sudden- boo-ya!  I remember telling my wife aftewards in all my dorkiness that they should change the name to Off the Chizzy.  ba dump bump

evilPaauwe

cheers.

thatswhatshesaid

wow. i just discoverd "the way that he sings." cant believe i have never picked up on that one before.

ycartrob

[size=36]Yo La Tengo - Electr-O-Pura  [/size]

DaFunkyPrecedent

just because I do...mmmmmm

more country!
God damn those shaky knees.

The Big Come Up

Butch Cassidy and Hopefully only recently revealed their awseomeness to me....

thatswhatshesaid

Come Closer from Split. i dont know if i have ever heard this song before, but its beautiful.

easy jim

Where to begin

"That feelin' takin' over
Like a holy rollercoaster
To the grave"

wow
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

bignewt

Id have to say "strangulation" i always got turned off a bit by the viscious swing down the song takes but the other night it just swept me up with its beautiful sadness. The ending is so amazing too, its such an ending to the album as well as the song. I especially love the chaotic strings.
Don't let your silly dreams,
fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall.

KC

Knot Comes Loose.

I have listened to this song hundreds of times while listening to Z. The other day while riding in the car the iPod was on Shuffle and it came on. It hit me in a whole new way for some reason. Had to stay in the car and let it finish after I already reached my destination.
[url="http://37flood.com"]http://37flood.com[/url]