First Impressions of the New Songs.

Started by The_DARK, Mar 12, 2008, 12:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fee71

QuoteHighly Suspicious sounds like prince singing for the Talking Heads to me.  I love both those bands so it's only natural that I like this song, although it is VERY different than anything they've ever done before.

YOU ARE RIGHT ON, aMD!!!
"FOR ALL YOUR DAYS I WISH YOU BLINDNESS"

JerseyDan

2nd listen on a new song only playlist, and i feel the "will these the songs that make them big" vibe myself. while i'm a newbie here i have seen them from the ground up, 1st show on T-Fire tour when they played with 3 local bands on a sunday night in philly at the khyber where i knew all 30 people in the room and we all walked out w/ our minds destoryed. anyway, enough dickmeasuring...

these songs are ready for the world. they have their roots and all sound like what i imagined post-Z would sound like. we are blessed they play 2 hour gigs and our faves from the club days will turn to be the ones we raise our pints to every night forever. and then we'll have nights where Masterplan or Strangulation comes out and we all talk about it. these are great times, we're lucky they are working their way up the right way...the apple is sweeter at the top.

Believe in The Jacket!

Fee71

After listening to the FM version twice today, this is RARE but Dark I have to disagree with you on something.  I LOVE "Sec Walkin". I give it to you that it will for sure get better but it still might be my favorite on the new album, it's in the top 3. I guess that what makes music, music. ;D

Nikkogino

QuoteAfter listening to the FM version twice today, this is RARE but Dark I have to disagree with you on something.  I LOVE "Sec Walkin". I give it to you that it will for sure get better but it still might be my favorite on the new album, it's in the top 3. I guess that what makes music, music. ;D

I agree....Sec Walkin' is one of my favorites right now.  

The album seems to have a pretty good balance of slow and fast songs.  I hope the song "Two Halves" is pretty hard because the middle of the album is pretty tame.

If you simplify the albums songs into slow or rockin you get:
slow-6
rockin-4
unknown-4

1-Evil Urges   (rockin)
2-Touch Me I'm Going To Scream (Part 1)    (unknown)
3-Highly Suspicious  (rockin as hell)
4-I'm Amazed   (slow)
5-Thank You Too   (slow)
6-Sec Walkin'  (slow)
7-Two Halves   (unkown)
8-Librarian  (slow)
8-Look At You  (slow)
9-Aluminum Park  (rockin)
10-Remnants  (unknown)
11-Smokin' From Shootin' (slow)
12-Touch Me I'm Going To Scream (Part 2)  (rockin)
13-Good Intentions  (unkown)

The DARK

I'm Amazed is pretty rockin. Not the hardest, but it still rocks.

And RS described Touch Me pt 1 and Remnants as rockers.
In another time, in another place, in another face

The DARK

QuoteAfter listening to the FM version twice today, this is RARE but Dark I have to disagree with you on something.  I LOVE "Sec Walkin". I give it to you that it will for sure get better but it still might be my favorite on the new album, it's in the top 3. I guess that what makes music, music. ;D

You don't have to disagree with me anymore. I now love Sec Walkin, for the sole reason that Bo (is it Bo?) is ace on the backup vocals.
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

You don't have to disagree with me anymore. I now love Sec Walkin, for the sole reason that Bo (is it Bo?) is ace on the backup vocals.

I didn't like it at first either, but it's growing on me.

bethofftherecord

touch me, i'm happy about the new songs!
;)
nothing can be changed except ourselves

CTdeadhead

QuoteHighly Suspicious sounds like prince singing for the Talking Heads to me.  I love both those bands so it's only natural that I like this song, although it is VERY different than anything they've ever done before.

YOU ARE RIGHT ON, aMD!!!
Interesting description.  My first impression of Highly Suspicious was that it sounded like Emotional Rescue Mick Jagger singing a Flaming Lips track.  

Fee71

YES, back to normal. ;D

RoughGod

Sec Walkin and Thank You Too have grown on me big time......Love both of these tunes.  Thank You has a great trademark Jacket breakdown jam midway through that absolutely kills....And Walkin is just a pretty sounding tune...Jim sounds awsome on that number.

One other thing - Is it me or is the drum-beat thing that goes on through out Smokin from Shootin a bit unecessary?  It kind of gets drowned out when Patrick drops in, but at the beginning of the song I find it distracting......Regardless this song is still a standout, imo.
Demon Eyes Are Watching

courtlandfoster

I love Thank You Too.
Sounds kind of poppy. I'm a huge John Mayer fan as well and it reminds me of something JM would do.  ;)
I will definantly be getting this album at midnight.

heartbreakinwoman

hmmm call me crazy but i disagree with the JM comment...its just not right to compare the two...just my opinion

i liked highly suspicious the best so far...im calling in sick to work on june 10th :)
thank you too jim