Into the Woods; musical saw or steel guitar?

Started by bumbilambi, Apr 09, 2008, 05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluefluff

Hi folks, I am wondering what is that funny wailing noise in "Into the Woods". Is it a musical saw or a very high pitched steel guitar? I thought it could be a saw but then I heard at Guy Garvey's radio show a archive snippet of someone playing a musical saw and then I wasn't so sure anymore. I also remember that weird steel guitar solo by Dave Gilmour in "Shine on your crazy diamond pt.2" and found it similar sounding. So anyone give me a hint which it is?

Anyway, I love that song, it makes me grin when I am sad especially when that huge male choir starts... ;D
...open your mouth, here comes the spoon...

notdarkyet

they play a lotta musical saw in In The Aeroplane Over The Sea that kinda sounds like that...

-justin

thatswhatshesaid

my guess has always been that its either a guitar played with an ebow or just bo on the keys.

evilPaauwe

My grandmothers brother plays the musical saw. His wife plays the organ and they do duets all the time. I wish someday to play duets on the musical saw while my wife plays organ.
cheers.

tomEisenbraun

Not entirely sure, but it sounds almost indisputably close to a theremin. Live, Carl plays the part on his pedal steel, but it doesn't sound quite like the album. Either way, the Theremin is intriguing as hell and you should read about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Bluefluff

Hmm...I am not sure if a theremin can be played so melodic, I just remember it from Led Zeppelin sounding more like a ghost than a melody.
Maybe they did in studio more reverb or similar on Carl's pedal steel to make it sound so crazy...

Mercury Rev use a musical saw in "Holes"
...open your mouth, here comes the spoon...