Ways to Support the band.

Started by Nipsey, Apr 21, 2008, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

RESPECT is a tricky thing, it appears. It means a lot of things, for sure, but it certainly doesn't provide anywhere inside of itself for you to pick and choose what you will and what you won't respect for someone. To respect someone is to respect their wishes 100% (unless it's doing harm somewhere). As far as I can see, this leak has done no one harm, and NOT listening to this leak has not done anyone harm. So, if we were to respect a band's request (especially one that we all claim to love so dearly!) to not listen to a leak of an album that will be released in full beautiful glory before June 10th, then dear God, what part of that doesn't make sense? Did Patrick hand you a burned copy and tell you to enjoy? Then by all means, DO! But if he didn't, the only reason you have it is probably because he gave it to a close friend, who didn't quite listen to the "keep this under serious wraps" part of the conversation.

No digital trading qualms at all here. What this is about is respecting what the band has asked us for. Respecting what the band has not only asked us for, but has given us FREE GOODIES in compensation for! That "Evil Urges" mp3 was not a "hey! this is a preview of what you can illegally download in a couple days!"-- it was a great big Thank You for having patience! with a reward for doing so and helping to not spread any leakage around.

Come on.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

aMD

no, you're right, tom. i have no respect for the band.  once again you've nailed it!  ::)

user_FKA_webmoster

Quoteno, you're right, tom. i have no respect for the band.  once again you've nailed it!  ::)

okay, you're sarcasm points out a large weakness in Tom's post. Obviously you have respect for the band, just not much of it.

aMD

Quoteno, you're right, tom. i have no respect for the band.  once again you've nailed it!  ::)

okay, you're sarcasm points out a large weakness in Tom's post. Obviously you have respect for the band, just not much of it.

no, I actually despise them.  that's why I steal from them every chance I can.  I want them to fail because they're not worth of my respect, obviously.

user_FKA_webmoster

no, I actually despise them.  that's why I steal from them every chance I can.  I want them to fail because they're not worth of my respect, obviously.

man, thats horrible. jim james is gonna come cut you in your sleep

aMD

man, thats horrible. jim james is gonna come cut you in your sleep

jim james couldn't cut line in an old folks home!

chunt983

Great thread, and I really agree. I was also embarrassed by people giving their reviews "(with spoilers)" to the record. It was a disgrace.

This happens to almost all albums these days. We are all here because we love this band. Why would you want to brag or talk about the record knowing the band is against what is happening and probably upset about the process. I imagine it hurts to see something you want to share with everyone just ripped from you and given out before you want it to.

Because we are all huge fans it's instinct to try to hear the album. But there are ways to go about it. A lot of new fans are going to be coming to this site over the next few months because of all the hype the band is getting. I think it's a bad representation of us when all those threads are around. Be mature. This is the only music site I go to because everyone here is so cool and everyone treats each other with so much respect. Yet some of you do not realize how much you are disrespecting the band. Lets talk about how great the album is on June 10th. Christ, if we start reviewing it now it's going to be a dead subject before everyone even gets to hear it.

If you have heard the album, you should feel guilty about it. I know if I had the chance to hear it I would, I can't wait for the album and a tour. But really, if you have it, just shut up and keep it to yourself and don't ruin it for the people that are doing the right thing and waiting for it.

I am not trying to hate on anyone that has it, it happens. I'm just saying I don't think it needs to be discussed openly.

That's my .02

megalicious

tom, i totally agree with you.

the boys asked us not to support leaked versions of the album. i mean, i thought it was pretty clear that they weren't cool with it, so, as a fan, i would try to do what they've asked of me.

if they hadn't issued a statement, there might be an issue to debate. but they did, so... i would say that settles it.
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

dragonboy

QuoteThere WAS a link posted... but it disappeared pretty quickly.

I'd say it was up for 30 minutes tops.  Long enough to cause quite a commotion.  
Yeah I saw one.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Angry Ewok

There were no less than three links posted.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

EC

jock straps are a really good way to support the band.
or maybe a dance belt for bo.  he's always seemed a little more like a dance belt kind of a guy to me.  

i mean that, of course, in the BEST way possible.  i'm just trying to be really supportive, here.