Main Menu

Omnichord

Started by BadfooT, Mar 15, 2008, 11:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadfooT

Anyone know what model Jim has?  I am looking on ebay and they have several models.  I might be able to tell which model if someone has a good pic of it.

KC

[url="http://37flood.com"]http://37flood.com[/url]

aMD

I think he has had three different ones.  

his first one was the OM-84. If I remember correctly the minor chords were broken on it so he had to play all major chords. Here's it:

He has a black one that he's played a few times. Most likely the OM 200.  But I'm having a hard time finding a picture of it so I may just be dreaming it.

The one he played at the rud in June 07 as well in 06 appears to be the Suzuki OM100.

http://www.suzukimusic.co.uk/omnichord/om100.htm

Cameron

anyone know what it's like to play one of these things?

Angry Ewok

Quoteanyone know what it's like to play one of these things?

Ever play Frisbee?

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

EC

is an omnichord kind of like a theramin in principle?  or do you actually touch that little strummy part.  i've never played an omnichord, but have always imagined it to be the electric equivalent to an autoharp but also like a theramin.

Angry Ewok

I don't think it's like a theremin... those operate by proximity and frequencies, not touch, right?

EC

yesssh :)

but i wasn't sure if you actually touch the strummer part on the omnichord, or just move your hand over it...

speaking of theramins, i watched a documentary on them a while back, and was AMAZED at the early versions, from russia, which involved gigantic machines that you had to move your entire body in the electric frequencies to get them going.  let me see if i can find a picture somewhere:

ok, i can't exactly find the picture i have in my memory, but this early blueprint of a theramin looks pretty cool:

also, i kind of feel like devotchka might be responsible for the resurgence of theramins in music today.  what are everybody's opinions on this subject?

in addition, can you run omnichords through pedals, or would that just be pointless?

Cameron

picked up an om100 a few weeks back.  pretty fun to play.  you do touch the "sonic strings."  you can tap them or strum.  

EC

are they really called sonic strings???????????
that might be the best thing i've heard all week!

are they that little ribbed silver patch beside the speaker?
how many are there?
do you have to keep calibrating the omnichord to keep it in tune?

omnichord.
all the chords...  i think omnichord must be the original latin name.  i'm impressed that they've never changed the name after all these thousands of years.

BH

Cameron, how much was the omnichord you purchased, if you don't mind me asking?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

I remember when Jim was first playing with the white omnichord without the minor keys. I will admit that I groaned about the omnichord for two weeks, that June.

Now I love the thing... there's no way it could be easy, but Jim makes it look that way when he rocks out with it.

:D

Cameron

i wish i could take credit but the real name is sonic strings. itis the silver patch.  i think i paid around $80 on ebay, one of the cheaper ones i saw.  there is no tuning.  you press what chords you want it to play and then you can change the settings to give you a backing tune or keep playing a single chord, etc...

BadfooT

I just bought the OM100.  It is very easy to play and within minutes I was playing Touch Me pt 2 and Celibrate w/ U.  I paid $150 on ebay for the one I got.  I bid on several before I got this one.  Some even went up to $300.