Evil URges Review on Wireless Bollinger

Started by EddieB_007, May 26, 2008, 07:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieB_007

Found another early review on Wireless Bollinger

Check it out

Angry Ewok

http://www.wirelessbollinger.com/content/view/1468/81/

There's the direct link, so nobody else has to browse through all of that just to read it statements like this,

QuoteThe dumb rock of 'Aluminium Park' and 'Remnants' hardly fares any better. Whereas on Z, rock 'n' roll meant the boisterous 'What a Wonderful Man He Was' or the reggae-infused 'Off The Record', Evil Urges employs that drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention. The result is sound-alike, copy-cat homogeneity that is well below the band's potential.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

I second what Angry Ewok wrote.  1.5 paragraphs was enough for me.  Don't risk getting caught reading this at work.
Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

sweatboard

Quotehttp://www.wirelessbollinger.com/content/view/1468/81/

There's the direct link, so nobody else has to browse through all of that just to read it statements like this,

QuoteThe dumb rock of 'Aluminium Park' and 'Remnants' hardly fares any better. Whereas on Z, rock 'n' roll meant the boisterous 'What a Wonderful Man He Was' or the reggae-infused 'Off The Record', Evil Urges employs that drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention. The result is sound-alike, copy-cat homogeneity that is well below the band's potential.

Ha, Ha!!!  WOW.  All of a sudden any asshole with a computer is qualified to put this band in perspective for us, no matter how clueless they are.  Nice.

What's worse is he talks about Z like they have since sold-out??  ;D  Then has the nerve to use an "analogy" like he actually has some kind of skill as a writer.  I hate to be Evil about it, but SHIT MAN!!!!  What the fuck are you even talking about here?

There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

sorry, I can't resist:

...too often Evil Urges sways moodily, as if the pressures of expectation have created an unwanted bipolar disorder in the intentions of the band. Unlike that wanted bipolar disorder.
An unwanted bipolar disorder? Did I really read that?

And then the usual suspects:

spatial atmospherics and buoyant rhythms
...soulful groove with a sultriness that resonates with Prince-like breathiness.
wildly divergent bridge of riff-driven rock
hyperbolic, sexed-up rock piece
reggae-infused
dumb rock
drunken uncle tactic of talking loudly about very little to get attention.
lightweight country rock

aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I feel better  :)
Good night all!

sweatboard

Well, the only interesting thing I actually took from the article was the mention of the "bipolar disorder".....I do think that's an interesting point, but not in the same way that this sexy blogger does.

red

hyperbolic, sexed-up rock piece

I kinda like that one.   ;D

The DARK

Quotehyperbolic, sexed-up rock piece

I kinda like that one.   ;D

I know. Why wouldn't that be a good thing?  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

Angry Ewok

Are these interweb music critics just trying too hard to convince people that they know what they're talking about in these reviews?

Not meaning to single this one individual out, since there are plenty of clones out there who saturate their reviews with jargon... but does the reviewer really listen to Evil Urges and take note of the "spatial atmospherics and buoyant rhythms"? Is this an album review or a thesis on photospheric molecular masses?

I miss the good ol' days when the "music critics" couldn't mention MMJ without making comparisons to Radiohead and Lynyrd Skynyrd.

bluntmaster

see this is when you need the mmj fan hackers to do their thing and send this guy a billion e-mails and messages letting him know how much HE sucks.  I didn't even read it, that paragraph was to know it all for a subject that can't be completely explained.

Angry Ewok

Kind of hilarious when the viking horde tears "music critics" to pieces.

tomEisenbraun

Excuse me?!

"Coupling these mistakes with the lightweight country rock of 'I'm Amazed', 'Sec Walkin' and 'Two Halves' further weakens MMJ's identity. The generic and tongue-in-cheek replication of such a well-worn style nullifies the passion and innovation that made them a great band in the first place. For some, the obvious intent for diversity may be enough but personally these stylistic jumps and attempts at shit-eating humour hamper the album's mood and playback value considerably."

Did he actually listen to "I'm Amazed"? Did he read the words, here? Lightweight country rock? Nullified passion? SHIT-EATING HUMOR? Too bad he didn't draw out the "Viva Las Vegas" overtones of "Sec Walkin'"--he would've really cemented this one into the canon of incredible reviews had he pulled that one. I sometimes wonder if record reviewers have any knowledge whatsoever of a band's back catalog when they make reviews like these. Did this guy miss At Dawn altogether? Put any of this next to "Just Because I Do" and argue that country rock is out of place in their style.

And what is even up with the shit-eating humor? Am I missing something in translation between, Athens, GA and Australia?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Goat Boy

Bloggers eh?  Some gimp sitting at a desk sipping a coke lite and a doughnut who thinks their opinions are worth reading.  

QuoteBut, in direct contrast to the consistent brilliance of Z, too often Evil Urges sways moodily, as if the pressures of expectation have created an unwanted bipolar disorder in the intentions of the band.

What the fuck does this mean you cunt?

QuoteThe result is sound-alike, copy-cat homogeneity that is well below the band's potential.

He used the word 'homogeneity' people!  Look!  What a clever cunt!

QuoteThe generic and tongue-in-cheek replication of such a well-worn style nullifies the passion and innovation that made them a great band in the first place

This is the kind of sentence that cunts with no insight who clearly think they are smarter than they really are come up with.  Clumsy and awkward.  

mjkoehler

I find myself agreeing with Herr Goat Boy. I didn't think that was going to happen, ever. You are correct, a lot of these people really have no clue what the fuck it is they are talking about. They throw in big, not often used words and phrases to sound psuedo intellectual just to cover up their actual idiocy. Music is what it is and you either will like it or not so do yourself a favor and take critics, especially bloggers from some random unknown site, with a ginormous grain of salt. After all, it is just their opinion so do not take the reviews as fact. I mean come on, how the fuck do you explain Chad Kroger having a successful career.  :P
[size=9]Please note heavy tones of sarcasm at the end, but seriously, why/how is that guy successful?![/size]

Angry Ewok

QuoteThe generic and tongue-in-cheek replication of such a well-worn style nullifies the passion and innovation that made them a great band in the first place

This is the kind of sentence that cunts with no insight who clearly think they are smarter than they really are come up with.  Clumsy and awkward.  

Goat Boy

QuoteI find myself agreeing with Herr Goat Boy. I didn't think that was going to happen, ever.

Cheeky cunt!!

QuoteI mean come on, how the fuck do you explain Chad Kroger having a successful career?]

Well, he's clearly been spending his spare time fellating the devil.  There can be no other reason to explain his success can there?  Chad must have been chewing hard on that scaly 'ol pecker for a while now and Lucifer has rightfully rewarded him for swallowing pints of his fiery jism.  

The DARK

;D ;D ;D That made my day.
In another time, in another place, in another face

sweatboard

Classic BRAD!!! Classic!!!!

mjkoehler

QuoteI mean come on, how the fuck do you explain Chad Kroger having a successful career?]

Well, he's clearly been spending his spare time fellating the devil.  There can be no other reason to explain his success can there?    
You are growing on my man.

Nice one Brad